TV2 Remote Antenna Boost on 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Okay, so I was still battling this issue. My walls are THICK!

So, after making a jumper cable, extending my antenna, and using a parabolic reflector, I still wasn't able to penetrate through 2 walls of 1.5' thick adobe. (The tv2 is only 25' away!)

So, I started to research this. The antenna is operating on a 2.4Ghz frequency. I figured any wifi antenna should work with this receiver. So, I built a Double Biquad antenna, following the instructions on this page:

Biquad Antenna Construction

double_nearly.jpg

I think the main reason why dish put a proprietary connector on the back of the unit, is because regular RG6 has an impedance of 75 ohms. I'm assuming that this antenna was designed for a 50 ohm impedance, and that's why we can't combine it onto the RG6 like we did with our old receivers. With a higher impedance, a lot of power is wasted as soon as it hits RG6.

This didn't stop me from giving it a shot. I built a double biquad that has a gain of around 13-14db. I don't have any 50 ohm cable yet, but I used regular 75 ohm RG6 because I figured the gain would probably give me at least a little bit of improvement.

It finally worked! I know this is going to the extreme, but it was a fun project, and I think the double biquad looks pretty good on my wall! I'm going to order some 50 ohm LMR-400 cable to get the best bang out of it.

:)

M10 connector source ?

Has a source been found for the M10 connectors or cable ? I need to extend the UHF antenna on my hopper. Unfortunately the Dish installer had a hard time putting my antenna on and I think he may have cross-threaded it by trying to screw on an "F" connector.:confused:

Has a source been found for the M10 connectors or cable ? I need to extend the UHF antenna on my hopper. Unfortunately the Dish installer had a hard time putting my antenna on and I think he may have cross-threaded it by trying to screw on an "F" connector.:confused:
I may have, it's in the mail and will arrive in a few days. If I can make it work I'll let you know.

I'm confused why you would need to do this on a hopper. The antenna only serves the hopper, as each Joey has their antenna built in, and the hopper can't be that far from your viewing position can it?

But, one way I have found to extend it is to buy a push on connector from Radio Shack and connect a regular antenna from the 222, 722, 622, 322, 635, etc, to the end of a new jumper. In the case of the 922, you can run a splitter behind the box, with an antenna on one side, and the other side going to a line going towards the other tv, then placing the antenna on it via a barrel or wallplate.

the hopper can't be that far from your viewing position can it?

Sure it can be... you been in my house?
Look, my reason for extending is I mirror to my bedroom from the kitchen Hopper; different floor of the house, quite a distance. The push on connecter sounds interesting...if it will fit on Hopper antenna connector, I'll check it out, good idea. :)

Sure it can be... you been in my house?
Look, my reason for extending is I mirror to my bedroom from the kitchen Hopper; different floor of the house, quite a distance. The push on connecter sounds interesting...if it will fit on Hopper antenna connector, I'll check it out, good idea. :)

The push on works, I've used that exact setup for a customer on a 922 that had concrete walls and the tv2 remote wouldn't work at all. The f fittings are the same size, just different threads. The other thing you could do if you really wanted to use use 922/hopper antenna (which isn't necessary, a regular dual tuner one works fine) is grind down the threads on a barrel or a splitter and use it to push into the antenna female f fitting.

Okay, so I was still battling this issue. My walls are THICK!

So, after making a jumper cable, extending my antenna, and using a parabolic reflector, I still wasn't able to penetrate through 2 walls of 1.5' thick adobe. (The tv2 is only 25' away!)

So, I started to research this. The antenna is operating on a 2.4Ghz frequency. I figured any wifi antenna should work with this receiver. So, I built a Double Biquad antenna, following the instructions on this page:

Biquad Antenna Construction

View attachment 71248

I think the main reason why dish put a proprietary connector on the back of the unit, is because regular RG6 has an impedance of 75 ohms. I'm assuming that this antenna was designed for a 50 ohm impedance, and that's why we can't combine it onto the RG6 like we did with our old receivers. With a higher impedance, a lot of power is wasted as soon as it hits RG6.

This didn't stop me from giving it a shot. I built a double biquad that has a gain of around 13-14db. I don't have any 50 ohm cable yet, but I used regular 75 ohm RG6 because I figured the gain would probably give me at least a little bit of improvement.

It finally worked! I know this is going to the extreme, but it was a fun project, and I think the double biquad looks pretty good on my wall! I'm going to order some 50 ohm LMR-400 cable to get the best bang out of it.

:)

Technician1313, cool looking antenna. Is it still working good for you? Did you try out the 50 ohm LMR 400 cable?