TV2 Remote Antenna

Mr!Phil

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
722k located downstairs.

TV2 is upstairs, down the hall, and a jog to the left. Lots of obstacles. The remote doesn't work from that distance. I was taught to put a splitter on the home distribution line to the HomeD and Remote Ant. Then relocate the Antenna using a splitter upstairs behind the TV. I've done this dozens (did I mention I am new?) of times. No issues.

Till now. TV2 picture quality is lower than it could be. The RG6 is new, about 130 feet.

Is there another technique to make the remote work without the splitters? I am thinking that they are causing the downgrade in picture quality.

Did I mention I am new? Just looking to avoid the stupid question beatdown :)

Depending on the location of the receiver and tv2 you could always try running a jumper from the antenna port on the back of the 722k. I remember one time when the customer had an old antenna sitting on top of his entertainment center that wasn't being used that I screwed into the antenna port. man did that work great..lol.

Depending on the location of the receiver and tv2 you could always try running a jumper from the antenna port on the back of the 722k. I remember one time when the customer had an old antenna sitting on top of his entertainment center that wasn't being used that I screwed into the antenna port. man did that work great..lol.

+1!

I picked up an el-cheapo antenna from the dollar store (about $5?) and hooked it up to the TV2 antenna port. Got it sitting on top of my computer desk that's near the receiver. Problem solved!:) Just make sure the antenna you use has UHF "loop".

Ed

customer had an old antenna sitting on top of his entertainment center that wasn't being used that I screwed into the antenna port. man did that work great..lol.

yes, actually like this better than using splitters to back-feed the uhf antenna. it works greats, but some do not like the appearance of the bunny ears.

to resolve this issue on an install with tvs at the opposite ends of a 4000 sq/ft home, i took a piece of of rg-6 and put and end on it. connected that to the uhf antenna port, then stripped most of the rg-6 and stapled the bare copper to the back of the entertainment center. customer swore it responded better than the ir remote.

ymmv, but it's worth a shot. just let us know what works out for you.

Something like this would be more effective than the original Dish antenna UHF Loop. You can create your own from a coat-hanger.

What is wrong with a UHF loop from a coat hanger (don't forget the 300? to 75? transformer)? Much better than the stub on the back of the receiver.

The splitter trick should work, sometimes the fuzzy picture is because of the splitters being hooked up incorrectly. They have to be turned the right direction. The one at the box should be set up so home dist goes in an out port and the ant feed also onto an out. On the tv2 splitter make sure the feed coming into the room goes into the in and the ant and tv coax should both be on out ports. Set it up like diplexers

Every splitter you add attenuates your signal by >50% (~3.5bB), 2 splitters and your signal is <25%.

have you tried a lower channel number on tv2 modulator? maybe ch 28

I didn't go that low. It wasn't till I started reading here that I discovered that each channel has it's own freq. I always pictured it like known locations on a map. Got a lot of learning to do. Thanks.

Depending on the location of the receiver and tv2 you could always try running a jumper from the antenna port on the back of the 722k. .....

.... then stripped most of the rg-6 and stapled the bare copper to the back of the entertainment center. customer swore it responded better than the ir remote.

ymmv, but it's worth a shot. just let us know what works out for you.

Awesome. I will definitely keep these in mind. I plan on visiting the customer on a day off. They live close and are good people so I'd like to help them.

The splitter trick should work, sometimes the fuzzy picture is because of the splitters being hooked up incorrectly. They have to be turned the right direction. The one at the box should be set up so home dist goes in an out port and the ant feed also onto an out. On the tv2 splitter make sure the feed coming into the room goes into the in and the ant and tv coax should both be on out ports. Set it up like diplexers

I got that part right. My parts box has a bunch of pre-made splitter tricks so I don't have to assemble from scratch in the house. That way I control the quality of the fittings and am not in a rush.

Every splitter you add attenuates your signal by >50% (~3.5bB), 2 splitters and your signal is <25%.

Oh man. You lost me. I am a retired Marine. So, if you need to shoot/move/communicate; I'm yer guy. I have no background in electronics at all. I tend to learn practical at first and then do homework on the "How it works" aspect. So I googled your comment to translate it into small words and short sentences. If I understand what I read you are telling me that two splitters weakens my signal to where it is less than 25% of what it was? Please correct me if I am wrong. A link to professional reading would be cool as well. Thanks. I do appreciate the scoop.

Oh man. You lost me. I am a retired Marine. So, if you need to shoot/move/communicate; I'm yer guy. I have no background in electronics at all. I tend to learn practical at first and then do homework on the "How it works" aspect. So I googled your comment to translate it into small words and short sentences. If I understand what I read you are telling me that two splitters weakens my signal to where it is less than 25% of what it was? Please correct me if I am wrong. A link to professional reading would be cool as well. Thanks. I do appreciate the scoop.

Thank you for your service Mr!Phil! I don't think I lost you, you got it right!
There are hundreds of website that cover Decibel calculation, here is just one, What is a decibel (dB)?.

BTW, 3.5dB attenuation per splitter is the best you would get from a good 2 port splitter. If a splitter is not designed to cover the frequency spectrum of interest, the loss would be much higher! Don't forget, every additional connector and of course coax cable adds additional loss.

Last edited: