TV2 with VIP 722 has lousy picture

bookette

Original poster
May 14, 2008
Isn't there a work around so that I can use component or HDMI on my TV2 to get a better picture? TV1 plasma is great.

KH in Iowa

NO

You can link TV 1 with HDMI and TV 2 with component, but you will only be able to watch the same thing on both TVs.

The only way to operate 2 independent TVs with one 622/722 reciever is to use the coaxial cable for TV 2.

If TV 2 is also an HD widescreen TV, I would opt for buying/leasing a second 622/722 over the coaxial cable any day.

If you live alone and never need to share the two TVs, then just hook TV 1 with HDMI and TV 2 to component and set the mode to single.

Isn't there a work around so that I can use component or HDMI on my TV2 to get a better picture? TV1 plasma is great.

KH in Iowa

Of course TV1 plasma is great...it's HD. What about your TV2? SD or HD???? Composite will make SD look a little better, but not a lot. HDMI is going to send to TV2 whatever is being watched on TV1. Really need more info on your setup.

TV1 output is HD or SD depending on the connection type.

TV2 output is SD.

TV1, TV2 and OTA tuners are all HD.

Outputs and tuners are discrete.

Rg6

you can use the special RG6 to composite connectors and use the coax you have then use the red and white audio for tv2

Could you please explain in a little more detail about the RG6 to component connection and using existing cable for hookup to TV2? Does this mean that I can connect the existing coax I already have in place to TV2 and somehow use a component hookup? Confused noob here?

Does this mean that I can connect the existing coax I already have in place to TV2 and somehow use a component hookup?
Only if you have three coax lines! It is possible to send the component video Y/Pb/Pr signals on three separate coax cables.

You might also want to know that it's also possible to send component video over at CAT5 cable (using three of the four pairs; digital audio can be sent on the fourth pair), but special adapters (baluns) are required on both ends.

Composite not component

Could you please explain in a little more detail about the RG6 to component connection and using existing cable for hookup to TV2? Does this mean that I can connect the existing coax I already have in place to TV2 and somehow use a component hookup? Confused noob here?

Composite isn't the same as Component. Compostie is SD Component is HD or ED. The LAN (Cat 5 or 6) computer network cable may be your best bet.

I use a 50' composite from MonoPrice and have a decent SD picture on my 32" HDTV in the bedroom.
Is there a Slingbox solution for HD from the 722?

Tryu changing your TV2 output to a lower channel, such as 22. Seems to help!

Depending on what you are ready to do, the simplist solution is choose a different cable or air chan to modulate #2 tuner. Some tv tuners are more sensitive on the lower OTA channels. #2 tuner will not give HD formating. You will receive the HD/SD channels, that your package contains, on #1 & #2, but #2 will be in SD. If your 2nd set is HD, consider adding a VIP211 to your setup. :):)

True that TV2 is not HD but the coax signal is anamorphic - not sure of the spelling. This gives my cheapie Maxent 26 inch wide screen LCD in the master bedroom a suprisingly nice 16x9 picture without replacing the 20 year old coax from my orignal cable TV install. If you have an older 4x3 set then you will get a picture that will make everyone look kinda tall and skinny, but still watchable.

I didn't notice any info on what you have now as far as TV and cabling, but if it is coax make it a dedicated run from your DVR to your second TV and play with the modulator channel setup and see what it looks like - you might be suprised.

Play around with the channels that the modulator sends. On my 722, the TV-2 TV LCD was about 60 feet away in another room upstairs, and the high numbers 68, and 69 worked for me. The old cable in the wall to the upstairs LCD panel was RG-59 and sucked. The picture looked bad until I went to the higher modulated channels and I bought a cheap tv signal amplifier (Magnavox - about 12 db gain) at Wal*Mart and placed in it the line on the VIP722 end of the cable. My wife is now happy with the picture and frankly, it doesn't look bad at all, even though it is standard definition and being sent by a mini-tv transmitter from the VIP 722 in the home theater room in the basement.