TVAnswerman Has AT&T Predictions For 2020

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does AT&T have anything left of a foot to shoot off?

I suspect an intolerably large number of DTV customers would decamp in the first 1-2 years after DTV lost the ST. This being on top of perceived poor AT&T customer service, and folks that hate AT&T.

Claude, keep milking that DTV cow as long as you’re able to make a few bucks out of AT&T. At least you’ve got enough other irons in the fire, and a DTV customer list, to offer options in the future. As always, the future belongs to agile mammals, not ponderous dinosaurs.

Well before T16 launched all other satellite plans were canceled. T16 was allowed to be finished and launched because it was too far along in procurement or production to cancel without paying a lot of $$ to back out. As of the time T16 launched there are no plans for any new satellites. Unless something changed since then there should be no new DirecTV satellites while ATT is in control.

There were rumors of two satellites being ordered at first, though it never made sense to me - the only place the other satellite could have gone would be 119 and why would Directv want to keep that slot around other than to keep Dish from getting their hands on it?

The satellites they have will last until 2030 at least, there's no reason in the world why they would stop allowing customers who want the satellite product from getting it when it is all fixed cost except for the programming. I wouldn't be surprised if they make customers pay for the install before long, and eventually might get out of the install business altogether - put a list of accredited third party installers in your area on their website and tell people to go through them.

I see you have been watching dish network
If you want a prediction, here is one.

I see OTA antennas being included with all new installations.

Since locals are included they will use this as a way to reduce costs on their end to avoid paying rebroadcast fees.

Satellite locals will be turned on by an individual channel basis depending if it can be picked up via antenna

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well before T16 launched all other satellite plans were canceled. T16 was allowed to be finished and launched because it was too far along in procurement or production to cancel without paying a lot of $$ to back out. As of the time T16 launched there are no plans for any new satellites. Unless something changed since then there should be no new DirecTV satellites while ATT is in control.
Please share the press releases of these Sat Orders that got "Cancelled" Because if Directv had planned to buy a several hundred million dollar Sat beyond T16 it would be public knowledge

For much of the same reason Directv wanted it, bringing in customers. In fact if they could bring in even more Prime Members that too is a reason. Amazon has a few ways that it would help them by tying in their equipment on deals, programming, Prime, etc etc. And they could easily - right now today supply any and all bars etc for the NFL package using Amazon equipment/Apps.

Umm, no. First, yes, Amazon, unlike most every other possible internet provider could tie NFLST access to Prime membership. OK. And for businesses? Many bars have no real need of Prime membership. So what does Amazon gain from them?

And, of course, there is the issue that a DirecTV box, absent a lot of work, “knows” where it is and what type of box it is. Which enables DirecTV to charge public forums many times what it charges homes. An Amazon password is an Amazon password. Short of having 1000s of spies floating about every bar, grille, cigar store, restaurant, and other place, Amazon has no way to determine the difference between home and public forum.

And, of course, no, Amazon cannot supply “any and all” bars with NFLST. Only those with killer internet. Which even in major cities is not available in many commercial developments (no demand). Let alone the vast part of the country, and not just rural places but a lot of urban places with bars and restaurants, that do not have killer internet.

Which is why NFLST will remain on DirecTV for many years to come.

Reactions: AZ.
If Amazon jacked up my Prime membership costs to cover the ST, I’d have to seriously consider dropping that membership. If Amazon somehow got the ST, I’m sure they would offer it a la carte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe on a more reasonable team by team basis
If Amazon jacked up my Prime membership costs to cover the ST, I’d have to seriously consider dropping that membership. If Amazon somehow got the ST, I’m sure they would offer it a la carte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, no. First, yes, Amazon, unlike most every other possible internet provider could tie NFLST access to Prime membership. OK. And for businesses? Many bars have no real need of Prime membership. So what does Amazon gain from them?

And, of course, there is the issue that a DirecTV box, absent a lot of work, “knows” where it is and what type of box it is. Which enables DirecTV to charge public forums many times what it charges homes. An Amazon password is an Amazon password. Short of having 1000s of spies floating about every bar, grille, cigar store, restaurant, and other place, Amazon has no way to determine the difference between home and public forum.

And, of course, no, Amazon cannot supply “any and all” bars with NFLST. Only those with killer internet. Which even in major cities is not available in many commercial developments (no demand). Let alone the vast part of the country, and not just rural places but a lot of urban places with bars and restaurants, that do not have killer internet.

You are thinking in a closed box. It isn't about how it's done now, it's how it can be done. Who said it has to be tied to a Prime Membership for Bars? From bars they can make money on it's own. In fact who says it will be anything like the Directv deal? And more importantly how did you get it can't be traced to where the equipment is being used and that includes apps? Right now, lowly TIVO knows if you are accessing from your home or not. Right now my cell phone knows if I am home or not. What makes you think Amazon can't make it work in various ways?
As to internet connections, I already envision Amazon partnering with or buying from (or literally buying though less likely) DISH or even buying from Directv for awhile to use that form of delivery as needed. Might be a total partnership with Directv using their Satellites. There are too many possibilities to list them all, and more possibilities than we even know about.
You were on better ground arguing economics of it but saying Amazon technically can't do it has no merit.

Reactions: dhpeeple1
Who said it has to be tied to a Prime Membership for Bars?

Has to be tied to something. As stated, the economics, for both public and private rights, under the DirecTV model means DirecTV loses money on the theory it bring customers. The NFL would turn down DirecTV higher payment and take Amazon’s lower one because ?

In fact who says it will be anything like the Directv deal?

The NFL.

And more importantly how did you get it can't be traced to where the equipment is being used and that includes apps?

From a basic understanding of how the internet works and how DirecTV works. An Amazon password is an Amazon password. NO WAY to charge different prices to different customers. No way. You do understand how casting works, right?

As to internet connections, I already envision Amazon partnering with or buying from (or literally buying though less likely) DISH or even buying from Directv for awhile to use that form of delivery as needed. Might be a total partnership with Directv using their Satellites.

Ahh, so this cord cutting ho-ha means that satellites will be used. Got it.

As long as the NFL wants to be paid MORE for NFLST than can be made from sales of NFLST, then DirecTV, DISH, and maybe (technical issues and corporate issues) cable are the only games in town. Amazon, as explained, cannot enforce corporate rates.

I didn't read it in a press release, the people responsible for satellite design and procurement told me many months before T16 had a launch date. You can probably find where I posted about it a year or so back. The old DIrecTV had a different vision and plans which ATT has canceled.

Please share the press releases of these Sat Orders that got "Cancelled" Because if Directv had planned to buy a several hundred million dollar Sat beyond T16 it would be public knowledge

Reactions: goaliebob99
Again you are stuck in a box. If Amazon uses Satellite technology to deliver some of it's content by renting space without need to subscribe to that Satellite company for anything that isn't cord cutting? But more importantly what does cord cutting have to do with it? What made you connect the NFL Sunday ticket especially to bars to cord cutting? Amazon is resourceful they can and will find various ways to deliver content as time goes on not just Sunday Ticket.
After awhile Amazon might then use the 3.0 OTA technology which has great potential for something like this And before you again say it can't be done OTA subscriptions pre date even Cable. In time Cellular technology can become a prime way to get signals. Again your argument technically Amazon can't do it holds no water you need to be a visionary instead of this and that simply can't be done.

The one thing that no one is pointing out about Sunday Ticket is that AT&T no longer wants it, at least at the price they are paying for it-

DirecTV could walk away from a renewal of one its prized assets: It’s exclusive rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket package, which gives subscribers access to every Sunday afternoon game.

“There’s less profitability to support the decision [to renew],” AT&T COO John Stankey, who is also CEO of WarnerMedia, said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. “It becomes less critical to the business over time.”

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Tampa8 and navychop
From a basic understanding of how the internet works and how DirecTV works. An Amazon password is an Amazon password. NO WAY to charge different prices to different customers. No way. You do understand how casting works, right?

I recently changed my password on Netflix and had to sign in again on all my devices, for every one I received a email for Netflix reporting the sign-in with my ip address that was used with the sign-in.

Amazon will know, other ways to handle it is with limited streams, for residential maybe 2 streams, for commercial more of course since bars/restaurants have multiple Televisions.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Tampa8

Arianespace said they had two orders from Directv back in 2016 or so, then later it became one. Like I said, there isn't any feasible slot they could have destined another satellite for other than 119, unless they were thinking about having a true "spare" satellite in orbit against future failures.

Either of those would make sense to cancel, a 119 sat because it is already only used for legacy stuff and everything on it is available from 99/101/103 now, and a "spare" because the current fleet will last another decade and the market for satellite TV probably won't be viable beyond that.

Does AT&T have anything left of a foot to shoot off?

I suspect an intolerably large number of DTV customers would decamp in the first 1-2 years after DTV lost the ST. This being on top of perceived poor AT&T customer service, and folks that hate AT&T.

Claude, keep milking that DTV cow as long as you’re able to make a few bucks out of AT&T. At least you’ve got enough other irons in the fire, and a DTV customer list, to offer options in the future. As always, the future belongs to agile mammals, not ponderous dinosaurs.

You know 95% of my business is Comcast these days. YES, COMCAST!

Only Directv we do now is commercial as in bars and hotels.

Sad it’s come to this, but I’m actually glad I’m no longer dealing in residential.

I have a feeling that if anything, Directv Will retain the commercial rights to Sunday Ticket.

There are 3 issues with streaming...

1) Not everyone has good internet

2) At what cost? Sunday Ticket is over $300 per season at full price on Directv. Directv is always offering deals to their customers. Once you go to a streaming model, unless amazon wants to give prime members free Sunday ticket out of the goodness of their heart, there will be a large cost to get it.

3) Once you go streaming, then comes the password sharing that goes with it.

Then your going to have the bars streaming it when they are not supposed to. However with many bar type businesses, it’s too much of a hassle to stream in those types of places.

Many of my bar customers have several receivers to show all the games. Many places don’t have the bandwidth to stream several games at a time.

Only ones doing streaming would be the mom and pop places with only a few televisions.

Reactions: SamCdbs

Yep, this was no secret.

It was confirmed by multiple DirecTV employees who have since left the company via layoffs and some who voluntarily left. T16 was supposed to be paired with T17. ATT instead went into an orbital consolidation mode instead of launching new sats to support some of the slots they had. 110 and 119 comes to mind.

When the cost to operate the satellite nerworks exceeds revenue coming in ...they will shut it down

Yep, that operational budget is everything. It's in the rumor mill that the operational budget for DirecTV was cut in half for 2020. If true that cant bold well.

How many customers does the NFL bring to directv?... if you were gonna stop accepting new customers the season ticket would be first to go
I have a feeling that if anything, Directv Will retain the commercial rights to Sunday Ticket.

There are 3 issues with streaming...

1) Not everyone has good internet

2) At what cost? Sunday Ticket is over $300 per season at full price on Directv. Directv is always offering deals to their customers. Once you go to a streaming model, unless amazon wants to give prime members free Sunday ticket out of the goodness of their heart, there will be a large cost to get it.

3) Once you go streaming, then comes the password sharing that goes with it.

Then your going to have the bars streaming it when they are not supposed to. However with many bar type businesses, it’s too much of a hassle to stream in those types of places.

Many of my bar customers have several receivers to show all the games. Many places don’t have the bandwidth to stream several games at a time.

Only ones doing streaming would be the mom and pop places with only a few televisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts