TVGUARDIAN Profanity Filter

bartim

Original poster
Oct 10, 2006
I am new to the satelliteguys and have a technical question. I have a device called TVGUARDIAN which filters profanity out of the audio when watching TV. It uses closed caption technology to mute a phrase when a cuss word is used in that phrase. This device sits between the satellite receiver box and the television, or between the vcr and television. It works with Dish Network when used with a TV1 that is hooked up to a receiver. I have not found a way to get it to work when trying to use it with a TV2 (or television that is only connected to a cable and not actually its own receiver).

Does anyone have experience with TVGUARDIAN who might be able to help me?

Feel free to e-mail me at bartim@inbox.com.

Thanks.

I have a TV Guardian. I don't guess I understand what the problem is. What receiver model is it? Why can't you just take the TV2 coax, run it into the TV Guardian and then from the TV Guardian to the TV? It shouldn't be any different than TV1.

Widescreen: I have a DVR model 625. The TVGuardian does not have a coax input. It is supposed to go between the vcr or satellite receiver using RCA plugs and then out to the tv using either rca plugs or coax. I can run cable from RCA out labeled TV2 on the back of the receiver to the TVGuardian and then coax to a tv and that works. For some reason when I connect the coax coming from the TVGuardian to the splitter that sends the signal to my TV2 cable coming in to my second television from outside, all I get is snow. It looks like if I were to run coax or rca cable directly to my second tv which is clear across the house it would probably work. I have heard about a wireless audio/video transmitter but I am not sure what that would do to picture quality.

I have also tried to run a vcr between my coax cable coming in for TV2 and the television. When I do this it pulls down the signal so much that there is barely any picture visible at all. When I place the TVGuardian between the vcr and tv once again there is no signal just snow. I have a friend who has a signal amplifier and I am going to try that.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Maybe you're forgetting to switch the channel on the remote TV from whatever the 625 was providing to the channel the TVGuardian is modulating. Example, your 625 might be outputting channel 73 but when you run RCA plugs to the TVGuardian, it outputs channel 4.

I have one and used it for a few months before ditching it.

1) It had no svhs connection, so had to go to composite video, which is of lower quality. This was a big issue to me.

2) The audio had to run throw the RCA L/R. This is of lower quality than the optical audio to one's A/V receiver. Another big quality decrease.

3) When it blocked language and printed the substitute on the screen, after a while you grew to know what it was blocking and you'd "hear" the words in your mind anyway. So in the end, it didn't really do that much for me. It got to be a big joke to my teenagers.

To a lower-end TV2, where you don't mind the image quality deterioration, and you are using the TV speakers, then it would be okay.

Last edited:
I have two TV Guardians and they both work fine. I have the old style with the coax and the new style with the S video and composit out. I just take the signal over s video and regular audio from the Dish 311 and go to input of TV Guardian. I then take the S out put and regular audio from Guardian and feed that to AUX input in TV. I have also used the output of the coax version to input channel 3 and watch it there as well but you will get better quality with S Video. If you have a portable TV try going from the Guardian to that tv with a short 3' coax and see if that solves the problem. If you are getting a good signal on tv 2 without guardian attached the amp may work. Your signal drop through Guardian may be to great.

I think it is a great product but it does take some getting used to.

3) When it blocked language and printed the substitute on the screen, after a while you grew to know what it was blocking and you'd "hear" the words in your mind anyway. So in the end, it didn't really do that much for me. It got to be a big joke to my teenagers.
I always like how a man and woman are always having "hugs". We get a kick out of some of the translations. :D

Maybe you shouldn't be watching shows with that type of dialog. I'm sure the images still show what is going on.

Aren't there parental locks on the TV and satellite receivers?
That'll filter the content pretty well. :eureka

True, but what if one doesn't want their child hearing and repeating certain words or phrases. Just because there is language I don't want my child hearing and/or using doesn't mean the entire program is bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)