TVland Yanks ‘Dukes of Hazzard’

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Reruns of “The Dukes of Hazzard” have been quietly pulled from TV Land’s daytime schedule at a moment of heightened sensitivity to Confederate flag imagery.
TV Land declined to elaborate on the decision, but it is clearly a response to the broader movement to withdraw the flag from official settings and in pop culture, given its historic connection to slavery and the Civil War.

variety.com

Nobody holds up the Nazis in Hogan's Heroes as role models. But back in the day, I remember Mad Magazine satirizing the show and saying "What's next? Funny Buchenwald?"

Reactions: dfergie
Bo Duke tweets photo of Dylann Roof in protest after TV Land dumps ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...protest-after-tv-land-dumps-dukes-of-hazzard/
Can't we all watch TV?....This video is about 10k Jon Schneider, a.k.a. Bo Duke, responds to TV Land’s decision to stop airing “The Dukes of Hazzard.” In a 2001 documentary about the making of “The Dukes of Hazzard,” show creator Gy Waldron said the Confederate flag that appears on a car featured on the show — like the Good Ol’ Boys themselves — was never meanin’ no harm.“Painting the Confederate flag on the roof of the car was done very innocently,” Waldron said, “because in the ’50s and ’60s it was very common to find Confederate flags painted on cars. There was never a political statement to be made by it. It was just part of the tradition. And once we had put it in there I saw no reason to bow to any pressure groups. We’re not making any statement regarding slavery or post-slavery or integration or anything like that. ”John Schneider — that’s “Bo Duke” to those who follow the Good Ol’ Boys — agreed that the General Lee, as the car is known, was far from a symbol of hate.“It amazes me that anyone could take offense to the General Lee,” Schneider said in the documentary. “… If there was ever a non-racist family, it was the Dukes of Hazzard.”Yet, the General Lee’s signature roof seems to have just caved in. Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that the cable network TV Land pulled “The Dukes of Hazzard” from its schedule.

This is coming from the same company who pollutes TV with Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant?

This political correctness garbage is sickening. I bought some Rebel Flag merchandise on Amazon and eBay last week hours before the listings were pulled. A recent CNN poll shows upwards of 60% of Americans don't find the Stars and Bars 'offensive'. The media is fueling all of this and more and more are caving it. Two months ago when I was in Virginia, I saw a lot of people displaying the Confederate Flag, and my first thought was 'wow the ignorant northerners back home would be crying about this'. I'm a Dixie at heart living in the second worst state in the country. This past Sunday I was at the Western NY stop of Brad Paisley's Crushin' It Tour. Rebel flags, and a lot of them, were still flying high. Despite the requests of the France family, I will be sporting the Stars and Bars in three months from now when I'm in Dover.

I'm actually surprised they aren't digitally removing the flag from the top of the General Lee. That would be symbolic of what will probably be happening soon, the complete redaction of the US Civil War in school history books. For any company or famous person to not take action or to speak up in support of the Confederate Flag would be suicide. They would be vilified by the main stream media and by the vocal minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.