TWC going to battle with Dish for low end?

Dish Network may not see an advantage to a cheaper package because it may entice some to drop down to it and they may lose more that way than the subscribers they would lose by not offering the package at all. They have to figure out which way is the best way to go for them. A cheaper starter package is a way to attract people that a lot of times upgrade to higher packages in the future (but churn to another company eventually though).

If ESPN is dropped then other carriers will be looking to do the same after seeing how well this works for those companies. ESPN along with other higher priced stations do not want that and will do whatever they can to prevent this.

Why would anyone want this? The only reason for paid TV is to watch sports and cable news

I, and many others, would beg to differ with you for several reasons:

1. ESPN is the highest price package in every retransmit package - adding more than $10.00 per month to the cost;
2. ESPN is SPORTS;
3. Many who receive retrans packages, whether via cable or satellite, watch for NON-COMMERCIAL MOVIE STATIONS - NOT SPORTS;
4. We are sick and tired of paying for your sporting packages because all they do is pay for the high-priced athletes in whom we have absolutely NO f$%^%^ interest!

Enough said? Go find your own retrans company that provides nothing but sports and get the hell off my network!

As a Time Warner fanboy with a cable bill that is well over $300/month I am DISGUSTED they are taking this road, customers like me are where they’re making their money from, they should listen to us, not the cheapskates and sports haters.

Who do you think is footing the bill so you pay only $300.00 per month. If all of us "cheapskates" were to drop off, you would pay a whole lot more than $300.00 per month for your sports addictions.

We, those of us who do not watch the sports channels, have been paying an additional $10.00 per month for ESPN we NEVER WATCH. We are paying, at least with Dish Network, an additional $15.00 per month for all of the other SPORTS NETWORK CRAP we NEVER WATCH when we subscribe to the highest levels.

My $140.00 per month would be reduced by more than $26.00 per month if Dish would create the same package I now have WITHOUT sports included.

We DO NOT WANT SPORTS - we want ONLY the movie packages - WITHOUT COMMERCIALS - WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS, just like they were intended to be and the way TCM and other feeds play them now.

Yes, we watch news programs - occasionally, but most of the talking heads cannot use proper English and would rather concentrate on sound bytes than real news.

Yes, we watch the weather - occasionally, but the weather channel is almost worthless any more.

The bulk of what is being watched on cable and satellite is MOVIES. News comes in second - at less than 2% in our household.

We never watch the channels dedicated to sports. We even turn off HBO and Showtime when they transmit sporting programs.

We have nothing against those who are sporting enthusiasts watching sporting channels and programs, we just DO NOT WANT TO SUBSIDIZE YOUR COSTS ANY LONGER.

If you want to help pay the mega-salaries of the athletes you worship, please feel free to do so. We, who primarily watch movies, have no desire to assist you with your support payments any longer.

Last edited:
Actually for us we don't watch any of the sports channels, so if they were to drop the cost say $20 or more a month to cut all the Sports channels I'd jump on it.

Honestly I wish they'd bundle channels like this -- Kids, Movies, Sports, Music, OTA, Documentary, etc, and give you the option to choose which packages you want through that instead of just arbitrarily cherry picking which channels from each category go into which packages with no rhyme or reason.

If TWC and Charter make a successful package without sports, I wonder how long it will take Dish to bring back Dish family?

Here is the lineup for North East Ohio TWC subscribers. I believe this includes Cleveland, Akron, and possibly some NorthWest Pennsylvania TWC customers if their cable(HUB) comes out of Akron. For some, where I live near Sharon, PA, this is true:

Originally Posted by ohio.com
* A&E
* AMC
* Animal Planet
* BET
* Biography
* Boomerang
* Bravo
* CNN
* Cartoon
* Centric
* Cooking Channel
* Discovery
* Disney
* ESPNews
* FX
* FitTV
* G4
* GAC
* GSN
* G ospel M usic
* HGTV
* HLN ( H eadline Ne w s)
* HSN
* Hallmark
* History
* I-Life ( Halogen )
* Inspiration
* Jewelry TV
* Lifetime
* MTV
* Military C hannel
* Nickelodeon
* Nick Jr
* QVC
* Shop NBC
* TBS
* TV Guide
* TV One
* Teen N ick
* USA
* VH1

http://www.ohio.com/news/109134424.html

To be honest, I think the lineup is actually pretty good. I would like the price to be actually cheaper than what they are offering. And 2 years at $29.99 locked in is not bad. I am not sure if LOCAL HD OTA STATIONS are included or not in this package. I know regular HD/VOD for those channels are not. You also need to rent at least 2 STB's(included in the cost, I think) to receive those channels. While the FREE VOD is not available, I think that since you have the STB's, the Movie VOD/PPV, and special events like wrestling/boxing/mma/etc.... PPV might also be available.

Here is the lineup for North East Ohio TWC subscribers. I believe this includes Cleveland, Akron, and possibly some NorthWest Pennsylvania TWC customers if their cable(HUB) comes out of Akron. For some, where I live near Sharon, PA, this is true:

Originally Posted by ohio.com
* A&E
* AMC
* Animal Planet
* BET
* Biography
* Boomerang
* Bravo
* CNN
* Cartoon
* Centric
* Cooking Channel
* Discovery
* Disney
* ESPNews
* FX
* FitTV
* G4
* GAC
* GSN
* G ospel M usic
* HGTV
* HLN ( H eadline Ne w s)
* HSN
* Hallmark
* History
* I-Life ( Halogen )
* Inspiration
* Jewelry TV
* Lifetime
* MTV
* Military C hannel
* Nickelodeon
* Nick Jr
* QVC
* Shop NBC
* TBS
* TV Guide
* TV One
* Teen N ick
* USA
* VH1

http://www.ohio.com/news/109134424.html

Needs TCM, but, otherwise, looks good.

Maybe Dish beat them at their own game. I got Dish flyers in my paper today - $24.99 for Top 120 w/2 free dvr upgrades - I believe it said HD-dvr's, but I threw out the paper and don't have the ad. Only for one year though. Free HBO and Showtime for 3 months.

Take out Disney (as that probably costs) and add TCM and TV Land. Without The Weather Channel, a local weather cast of some sort (even if it is just print on the screen) is in order. That would work for me.

Do not forget about Dish's "low-end" packages: Dish America [reg. $29.99/mo.], America's Top 120 (eligible for HD for Life) [reg. $39.99/mo.], and Dish Latino Dos (eligible for HD for Life and does include English channels although they may be in the 800s or/and 5000s with some as the same channel numbers as English packages) [reg. $39.99/mo.]. I do not think that English speaking subs would be too interested in DishMÉXICO [reg. $19.99/mo.] and DishLATINO Clásico [reg. $29.99/mo. although I could be wrong if one wanted Disney XD, locals, or/and possibly some public interest channels. There is also a higher DishLatino package, Dish Latino Max [reg. $52.99/mo.], which is also eligible for HD for Life.

I recently helped someone do a comparison of the lower packages, and if you would like to compare them, then you may want to look at the Excel worksheet that I created [View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls]

FMI on Dish Latino, click here.
FMI on the America's Top packages or/and America's "Everything" Pak, click here.
FMI on the Sirius XM channel lineup, click here.
FMI on HD Platinum, click here.

Who do you think is footing the bill so you pay only $300.00 per month. If all of us "cheapskates" were to drop off, you would pay a whole lot more than $300.00 per month for your sports addictions.

We, those of us who do not watch the sports channels, have been paying an additional $10.00 per month for ESPN we NEVER WATCH. We are paying, at least with Dish Network, an additional $15.00 per month for all of the other SPORTS NETWORK CRAP we NEVER WATCH when we subscribe to the highest levels.

My $140.00 per month would be reduced by more than $26.00 per month if Dish would create the same package I now have WITHOUT sports included.

We DO NOT WANT SPORTS - we want ONLY the movie packages - WITHOUT COMMERCIALS - WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS, just like they were intended to be and the way TCM and other feeds play them now.

Yes, we watch news programs - occasionally, but most of the talking heads cannot use proper English and would rather concentrate on sound bytes than real news.

Yes, we watch the weather - occasionally, but the weather channel is almost worthless any more.

The bulk of what is being watched on cable and satellite is MOVIES. News comes in second - at less than 2% in our household.

We never watch the channels dedicated to sports. We even turn off HBO and Showtime when they transmit sporting programs.

We have nothing against those who are sporting enthusiasts watching sporting channels and programs, we just DO NOT WANT TO SUBSIDIZE YOUR COSTS ANY LONGER.

If you want to help pay the mega-salaries of the athletes you worship, please feel free to do so. We, who primarily watch movies, have no desire to assist you with your support payments any longer.

LOL. Thanks, that made me laugh.

Thank you for subsidizing my sports addiction, it's appreciated :D

I didn't know that the $170 I pay for NHL Center Ice was a subsidized cost for me. After the way the Sabres are playing this year, maybe TWC should have pulled MSG from the lineup and give us the NFL Network.:rant:

They looked good Friday night at least, but then again it was Toronto.

Pretty sad, usually at this point into the season I've already been to 5-6 games. So far I haven't been to any and even declined going the Pittsburgh game last Wednesday. Glad I did, what a snooze fest that was. NFL Network is overrated. I’d rather have RedZone, but that won’t happen without NFL Network. I watched the Thursday night Jets/Bengals game on my phone using the NFL app. I always thought NBC had the worst sports coverage, that NFL Network was by far one of the worst sports telecast I’ve ever seen. RedZone is great. I usually have the Bills game on TV and my Evo propped up on the kickstand streaming RedZone all day on Sunday. What’s great is when the Bills were blacked out at least I could still see all of the relevant plays live on my phone.

I love football but never cared for the NFL Network when I had DirecTV, and everytime I stream it on my phone, I think less and less of the channel. IMO, ESPN has by far the best football highlights programming and they have personalities with personality, not like those stuff shirts the NFL Network has. Time Warner could never add the NFL Network and that would be fine. If I’m so inclined I could always watch RedZone on my TV by connecting my phone to the TV with micro HDMI.

But either way I'll take MSG HD over NFL Net any day.

I didn't know that the $170 I pay for NHL Center Ice was a subsidized cost for me. After the way the Sabres are playing this year, maybe TWC should have pulled MSG from the lineup and give us the NFL Network.:rant:

I keep on reading things on the internet that if the NFL goes to 18 games starting either next year(doubtful, with a strike or no strike), or 2012, that TWC/Cablevision will indeed get the NFL Network. They are closer than most people realize, and this could be the tipping point.

The reason? The NFL will then
have the ability to show either a Thursday Night(players hate this) or a Friday Night(this is what I "think" is going to happen IMHO) every week during the regular season, and no longer just begin showing games in November. With 32 teams, 20 weeks of football(2 weeks off for each team), and an expanded roster(this will be compromised between both sides), they will then have the ability to do this easily and smoothly. This would make the NFL Network more attractive, and while TWC/Cablevision might get a deal, it will be a deal that they most certainly will have to strike at.

So with the exception of the opening night Thursday game with the Super Bowl winner on NBC, the NFL will be able to create the NFL Network as they always wanted. With every team getting a chance to play on either Thursday(or Friday), Sunday, and Monday night.

And then, of course the NFL season/postseason would go all the way to President's day weekend with the Super Bowl occuring on the Sunday before MOST have that Monday off. Coincidence? I don't think so.

They looked good Friday night at least, but then again it was Toronto.

Pretty sad, usually at this point into the season I've already been to 5-6 games. So far I haven't been to any and even declined going the Pittsburgh game last Wednesday. Glad I did, what a snooze fest that was. NFL Network is overrated. I’d rather have RedZone, but that won’t happen without NFL Network. I watched the Thursday night Jets/Bengals game on my phone using the NFL app. I always thought NBC had the worst sports coverage, that NFL Network was by far one of the worst sports telecast I’ve ever seen. RedZone is great. I usually have the Bills game on TV and my Evo propped up on the kickstand streaming RedZone all day on Sunday. What’s great is when the Bills were blacked out at least I could still see all of the relevant plays live on my phone.

I love football but never cared for the NFL Network when I had DirecTV, and everytime I stream it on my phone, I think less and less of the channel. IMO, ESPN has by far the best football highlights programming and they have personalities with personality, not like those stuff shirts the NFL Network has. Time Warner could never add the NFL Network and that would be fine. If I’m so inclined I could always watch RedZone on my TV by connecting my phone to the TV with micro HDMI.

But either way I'll take MSG HD over NFL Net any day.

I agree Steve. And I will take the MLB Network over the NFL Network any day of the week. What a wonderful addition to people who evjoy the game of baseball. And the fact that daily during the season, they cut in and out of live games is awesome. A very well done network IMHO.

STEELERSRULE said:
The reason? The NFL will then
have the ability to show either a Thursday Night(players hate this) or a Friday Night(this is what I "think" is going to happen IMHO) every week during the regular season, and no longer just begin showing games in November.
Not possible unless some laws are created or repealed...

The reason most of us are used to the "High School Football Fridays", "College Football Saturdays" and "NFL Sundays" is because of the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. The NFL will not be broadcasting a package of games on the NFL Network on Friday or Saturday Nights.

It would most likely be a Thursday Night package.

Consumer's Union Launches Campaign Against Comcast/NBC Merger - Though the consumer advocacy group is rather outgunned | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Consumer's Reports is launching a campain against the NBC/Comcast merger

If the Comcast/NBC merger is approved, It’s likely that that a lot of free NBC content may disappear, popular programs like Sunday Night Football could move to more expensive cable packages, and free access to NBC online sites like Hulu.com could be blocked.

Sports again if they are trying the ESPN move and put more of the NFL on cable forcing a nice price increase vs free OTA.

Not possible unless some laws are created or repealed...

The reason most of us are used to the "High School Football Fridays", "College Football Saturdays" and "NFL Sundays" is because of the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. The NFL will not be broadcasting a package of games on the NFL Network on Friday or Saturday Nights.

It would most likely be a Thursday Night package.

Are you sure about this? It is not that I doubt you, but the fact that there are now College football games on Tues., Wed., Thurs. Fri.(all on ESPN), makes me wonder if anyone is actually following that rule. Look it up. This past regular season there have been games on those days. Maybe not major programs(until Thurs. and Friday which usually includes Big East and other Conference games). And of course, the "BULK" of games are played on Saturday, but so is the "BULK" of the NFL schedule played on Sunday afternoons.

If they wanted to have their games switched from Thursday night to Friday night, I can't really see anyone putting up a fight. Or, better yet, I can't see anyone putting up a fight that they can win against the NFL. It is only 1 game a week, with the "BULK" of their games still on Sunday afternoon.

I have a feeling this is going to happen. Friday Night games during the regular season. I doubt High school AD's/school boards could put up enough of a fight to stop that, even if they wanted too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts