Twins game on, not in HD, but 16x9 and automatically partial zoomed

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
I tuned in to watch some of the Twins-Orioles game last night on FSN North (436). It wasn't in HD.While disappointing, that happens sometimes on DISH, and I can deal with it. What was interesting was that the picture was 16x9 and, even though I had my aspect set to normal, it auto-switched to partial zoom. Aspect switched back to normal if I changed channels, and I could manually switch the game to normal aspect. When I did, the game had black bars top, bottom, and sides. Window boxed, iirc.

While I think it's time for HD broadcast games to be shown that way, this isn't a complaint. Just an observation on something I found interesting.

Yeah, for the first time last night, I noticed a RSN that wasn't center cut for SD, too. The Royals vs Indians on the Royals channel. I was just kind of flipping thru channels, so I didn't notice any of the weird aspect settings you were talking about.

It has to do I think with the new scorebug and the placement. Last year Big Fox did that too but some channels didnt do it right so you got the scorebox cut off. When I "moved" to Duluth thats how KQDS 21 had it. They zoomed everything so the scorebug was chopped off.

More channels are doing that now if you dont have HD.
Speed channel does it
FS North does it for the sports
Fox does it for sports too

Considering the line up that the Twins are going to run out there for this game, even SD is a waste of bandwidth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)