Two DSL Modems on sameline (1 Viewer)

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
My wife is a medical case manager. Works at home. Currently she has internet paid for by employer. On Jan 1 that goes away and she has to provide her own. We currently have 768k DSL sepetate from her work cable inet (Comcast). The 768k suits our needs and at 19.99 is a good deal. We will have to upgrade to 3mbs or better service to meet my wifes work requirement. It will cost $15.00 more per month but then it is also a ta x deduction.
The employer supplied router (CISCO) is designed for VOIP phone plus the log in for the VPN is done in the router too. The requirement is for the internet to go from modem to CISCO router then we can connect ourhome router offa specific port on the CISCO router.
Basically I would rather not reconfigure our home network to do this. So will it work to put a second modem in her office for her connection. Will VERIZON know do they care?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
grohgreg said:
Have you investigated bundled service from Verizon? Internet+phone?

//greg///

Yes we already have bundled service from verizon. I have priced out COMCAST internet vs the Verizon bundle and Verizon is the better deal.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
isaacmorseMI said:
Or you could get Comcast service when the work provided service ends.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Thought of that. Staying with the Verizon internet/phone bundle is definitely the better deal than COMCAST.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
The question is if I purchase a second dsl modem will VERIZON know or care?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 

Bodo Fenrirsson

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2009
14,065
2,603
Grovetown,GA
The question is if I purchase a second dsl modem will VERIZON know or care?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I can only speak from using AT&T DSL,but I think you can only use one modem at a time with DSL. I think that it is more physics than policy,only one modem can operate at one time. Call Verizon & tell them the situation,maybe they could put a second line in to accomodate your wife. Personally,I have AT&T Fast DSL 6.0. I also have what was Charter Broadband,but is now Knology because Knology bought them out for our local service. I use AT&T for surfing the net,for Vonage VOIP,& for internet connection for my DIRECTV dvr receivers.AT&T has a very low fair use policy,so I have Knology for Roku,Sky Angel,etc.
Anyway,call Verizon,see if the price for an extra line would still be cheaper than keeping Comcast,& then go from there.
 

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
royrdsjr said:
I can only speak from using AT&T DSL,but I think you can only use one modem at a time with DSL. I think that it is more physics than policy,only one modem can operate at one time. Call Verizon & tell them the situation,maybe they could put a second line in to accomodate your wife. Personally,I have AT&T Fast DSL 6.0. I also have what was Charter Broadband,but is now Knology because Knology bought them out for our local service. I use AT&T for surfing the net,for Vonage VOIP,& for internet connection for my DIRECTV dvr receivers.AT&T has a very low fair use policy,so I have Knology for Roku,Sky Angel,etc.
Anyway,call Verizon,see if the price for an extra line would still be cheaper than keeping Comcast,& then go from there.

Thanks for the info. The physics explanation makes sense...
The real kicker is her employer is only paying $20.00/month for the service. Wish they gave is the option to pay for it at that rate. After the 6 month promotional rate of $29.99 it, COMCAST, jumps to $45.00. With the phone/internet bundle from verizon the dsl will still be $10.00 less. If we drop verizon internet the phone goes up...so there is no real advantage.
Thanks again

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 
Last edited:

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 5, 2009
4,734
1
Southwest Michigan
R0ss said:
Thanks for the info. The physics explanation makes sense...
The real kicker is her employer is only paying $20.00/month for the service. Wish they gave is the option to pay for it at that rate. After the 6 month promotional rate of $29.99 it, COMCAST, jumps to $45.00. With the phone/internet bundle from verizon the dsl will still be $10.00 less. If we drop verizon internet the phone goes up...so there is no real advantage.
Thanks again

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Did you check out Comcast's phone service?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App
 

R0ss

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
821
2
Ayer, Ma
isaacmorseMI said:
Did you check out Comcast's phone service?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Yes. COMCAST does not offer a internet/phone bundle on my area. My wife also needs fax capability. Her co-workers that have COMCAST phone service had to have VERIZON phone service installed for faxing, can't fax on a VOIP phone line, at least not COMCAST (employer pays for it, same as they did for those that just use their cell).

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys
 

kikenovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 9, 2009
355
1
Somewhere in time
Adding a second (or more) modem won't work. I know you don't want to make changes to the network, still my suggestion is to hookup another router (eg an ASUS RT-N12, Linksys E2000, etc) to the modem and configure your home network to your needs. Then, hookup the company Cisco router WAN port to one of the home router's LAN ports. That way you can do whatever you want on your home network without going through the company VPN.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top