Two HD TVs, one DVR... can it be done?

azbruno

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm looking at upgrading from SD to HD on two TVs. I now have a 625 box and all is good. But there's no box that does the same thing providing HD to both TVs. I was given a 722 box with the idea of possibly running two 722 devices, but that doesn't seem to be the most desirable approach. I really want to be able to record from either location and play back at either location.

Yesterday I was in Costco and ran into the DirectTV rep. He was showing me their HD DVR receiver which has the DVR recording on the main unit and supports satellite receivers for other HD TVs running a wireless connection. That looks like exactly what I want. Regardless of which receiver I'm recording from, I could play back on either TV. I could also watch live TV, pause on one TV and continue on the other.

Does this mean I need to switch to DirectTV? I've been really happy with Dish for a few years and was hoping to stay with it, but I'm not seeing HD DRV capability like this.

Thanks.

If you want whole home HD DVR service right away, then you'll have to switch to Directv. Dish is suppose to release their multi-room sling extender so we all can get HD on TV2 but at this point, nobody knows when they'll finally release it.

Do you want to be able to watch two different programs at the same time on the 2 TVs? If not just get an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cable to each TV.

Last edited:
I'm looking at upgrading from SD to HD on two TVs. I now have a 625 box and all is good. But there's no box that does the same thing providing HD to both TVs. I was given a 722 box with the idea of possibly running two 722 devices, but that doesn't seem to be the most desirable approach. I really want to be able to record from either location and play back at either location.

Yesterday I was in Costco and ran into the DirectTV rep. He was showing me their HD DVR receiver which has the DVR recording on the main unit and supports satellite receivers for other HD TVs running a wireless connection. That looks like exactly what I want. Regardless of which receiver I'm recording from, I could play back on either TV. I could also watch live TV, pause on one TV and continue on the other.

Does this mean I need to switch to DirectTV? I've been really happy with Dish for a few years and was hoping to stay with it, but I'm not seeing HD DRV capability like this.

Thanks.

You can use an HDMI splitter and send the TV1 HD output to both HDTVs or use the component HD output for one HDTV and the HDMI output for the other HDTV. The TV2 remote is UHF so it can remotely control the 722 from another location. You will not have independent viewing on both HDTVs as each will see what is on the TV1 feed. You can still have TV2's SD feed to the other HDTV if you want. That would still be independent, but SD. Otherwise, D* is your only option currently. There are rumors that E* will have a whole house DVR system very shortly that isn't dependent on sling tech, but rumors are rumors, and E* isn't very timely in getting some of their tech out the door.

There are times when both TVs are being watched simultaneously. Whether it's HD on both depends on what's on.

Following up on the HDMI splitter idea... right now I have a coax cable through the house from the TV1 location to TV2 location. Running another cable would be a chore (hence the wireless appeal), but is there a way to get the HD signal from the HDMI through the coax and back to HDMI at the other end?

There are times when both TVs are being watched simultaneously. Whether it's HD on both depends on what's on.

Following up on the HDMI splitter idea... right now I have a coax cable through the house from the TV1 location to TV2 location. Running another cable would be a chore (hence the wireless appeal), but is there a way to get the HD signal from the HDMI through the coax and back to HDMI at the other end?

Not that I'm aware of, but HDMI can be run over a pair of Cat 5e or 6 cables.

Can't Component send out a 1080i signal? Granted, not 1080p, but other than on-demand, nothing broadcasts in 1080p, correct? Of course, you'd need to run RCA cables for audio as well, unless you can run a single optical digital cable.

But you noted running a cable would be a pain, so that probably wouldn't work.

Can't Component send out a 1080i signal? Granted, not 1080p, but other than on-demand, nothing broadcasts in 1080p, correct? Of course, you'd need to run RCA cables for audio as well, unless you can run a single optical digital cable.

But you noted running a cable would be a pain, so that probably wouldn't work.

A long time ago, on DVD upconverting players, LG made one that did in fact do 1080P over component (upconverted of course). Mitsubishi also had a TV that accepted 1080P via component. I do not think it is a limit of the cable itself, but more that manufacturers are really pushing HDMI. That, of course, was in my Best Buy days when HD was starting to go mainstream and the sets were converting from 1080i to 1080P. Anymore, upconverting players (at last look) don't upconvert on component (at least it was that way when I left Best Buy).

I do have to say LG also had a 42" LCD and 50" Plasma panel (early generations) with DVR built in.... Pretty nutz.

I guess I would also have to admit that the vertical lines were not disclosed (not sure it was 1920x1080P). Also, just because it was possible does not mean the same tech still happens, as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
TonyT@DISH Network said:
A long time ago, on DVD upconverting players, LG made one that did in fact do 1080P over component (upconverted of course). Mitsubishi also had a TV that accepted 1080P via component. I do not think it is a limit of the cable itself, but more that manufacturers are really pushing HDMI. That, of course, was in my Best Buy days when HD was starting to go mainstream and the sets were converting from 1080i to 1080P. Anymore, upconverting players (at last look) don't upconvert on component (at least it was that way when I left Best Buy).

I do have to say LG also had a 42" LCD and 50" Plasma panel (early generations) with DVR built in.... Pretty nutz.

I guess I would also have to admit that the vertical lines were not disclosed (not sure it was 1920x1080P). Also, just because it was possible does not mean the same tech still happens, as others have mentioned.

The Pioneer Kuros accept 1080p over component too. I love my Kuro.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Pioneer made some killer DVD players back in the day (some newer ones seem a bit bleh) where S-video looked amazing on newer TVs. Not sure how or why, but the progressive scans looked BETTER then any upconvert I had ever seen. The Kuro line is only a couple years old if I remember correctly (they made a TV too right?).

Last edited:
Pioneer made some killer DVD players back in the day (some newer ones seem a bit bleh) where S-video looked amazing on newer TVs. Not sure how or why, but the progressive scans looked BETTER then any upconvert I had ever seen. The Kuro line is only a couple years old if I remember correctly (they made a TV too right?).
Kuro line of HDTV's were the top of the top. Pioneer unfortunately stopped making them.

One option would be 2 722 series receivers with an EHD attached to each. Move recorded material to the EHD and then swap them when you want to watch a program recorded on the other receiver.

I'm in a similar situation, wanting to add an HDTV to a room 1 floor up/down from existing Dish HD DVRs (owned vip622 and leased vip722K). Initial thought was wireless HD, and some use of our iPhones as WiFi remotes or set up an IR repeater for our Harmony remote to control the DVR. I wish that the Belkin PureAV line of HD wireless hadn't been launched so expensive then disappeared, because we've made good use of their SD RemoteTV for years now and its awesome (great PQ, seamless remote control transmission bundled in). Anyone have ideas on cost-effective HD wireless and remote control solutions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)