Two Nexus-S cards in one PC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Is it possible to use two Nexus-S cards in one PC without conflict? Will this work with MyTheatre? I am trying to build a dual-tuner PVR HTPC that will be able to record two channels simultaneously. Finally, does anyone have experience using the Nexus-S in the same PC with an ATI HDTV Wonder card?

Thanks!

Well not quite what you are asking for, but I am using a Nexus-s and Twinhan 1020a in the PC at the same time. I had tried 2 Twinhan 1020a cards, and could not get the drivers to load for both cards. I had in the past tried an ATI HDTV and a Twinhan, but MyTheatre would lockup with the version I had. It did work with an older version. (i.e. MyTheatre would run for the satellite card and the ATI application would run for the ATI card. Don't remember the version numbers) I did not use MyTheatre to control the ATI card though. I do think that with the newest version of MyTheatre, it will now work with the ATI HDTV and a satellite card at the same time, but do not think that MyTheatr can control the ATI card yet. I have not tried it again though, as I was not quite close enough to the OTA stations to get a reliable OTA signal. I have settled on just 2 satellite cards now. I do think that MyTheatre will work with the Fusion OTA HDTV card (allow you to watch with MyTheatre), but do not think it is working yet with the ATI HDTV card (to watch with MyTheatre), but the two cards should be able to work in the same PC. Just need a different appiction to control the ATI card.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Larry. I intend to control the ATI with different software, and use MyTheatre for the two Nexus-S cards. I assume that if there are no hardware conflicts, MyTheatre will work for two cards.

I do not know if two NEXUS cards will work, as I am only using 1 Nexus card and 1 Twinhan card. My Nexus and Twinhan cards are working fine with MyTheatre. I have then setup for unattended recordings throughout the week. If setting up recordings in task schedular (using the schedular within MyTheatre) just add the /CARD2 parameter for the second card. I do not have the PC setup for a home theatre and usually put the mpeg files on a disc to watch on a DVD player that will play mpeg files or on another computer. What software are you using for the ATI HDTV card? I never had great results with the ATI software but have seen it running fine on another PC. I have been saying for about a year that I should re-format, but with all that is on the machine, I dread the job of backing up my files and re-install all my applications as it takes so long to get then configured properly. As it is now, MyTheatre works extremely well and I really do not want to mess that up.

Last edited:
Any luck???

Tron said:
Thanks for the reply Larry. I intend to control the ATI with different software, and use MyTheatre for the two Nexus-S cards. I assume that if there are no hardware conflicts, MyTheatre will work for two cards.

Curious as to whether you were successful in running 2 Nexus-S cards in a MSwinBox. I have heard that many have been successful in using 2 such cards with Linux and VDR. MythTV has been another story, and still buggy for DVB.

Please advise as to how successful you were with MT and 2 cards. I have been using ProgDVB and now playing with AltDVB. Since TV has PIP I would love to try using 2 separate cards.

Best regards and eager for your report,

greyskies in sunny South Florida

I remember correctly the Nexus is only good for 4:2:0 SD video. To do HD or 4:2:2 the card has to run in software mode.

I had tried two Twinhan cards and could not get the driver to load. That is why I tried one Twinhan and one Nexus. Initially I had 1 Twinhan and the ATI HDTV card. It worked fine, just my OTA HDTV reception was lacking. I removed the ATI HDTV card and settled on the Nexus as my second card.
Did you get the 2 Nexus cards to work in your machine? Have you had any problems getting your Nexus cards to work with MyTheatre? Some are having problems with the newest version of the card. (is it 2.3?) Anyways, my Nexus installed and worked great. I am not using the hardware mode though, only using it for recoding and not for video output to a TV.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I had to drop the project a few months back and am picking it back up now.

Instead of two Nexus cards in the same machine, however, I will be installing them into separate PIII-1Ghz one rack unit servers. These machines should have enough processing power to host the cards for viewing standard definition TV (since the Nexus uses hardware exceleration for SD) and, hopefully, to record HD (without viewing) to send to other, more powerful machines on my network.

I will update progress on a new thread in this subforum soon :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)