Two phone numbers-same account?

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi All,
I want to add a 722 to replace my 622 and move my 622 downstairs. Trouble is the phone jack downstairs has a different phone number (my office phone) from the one the 722 would be using. Is this an issue? I'd rather not pay $5/month for nothing. Ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

No, this should not be an issue. I have the same situation as you do. Be sure to give both numbers to Dish. However, I think it is best if both lines are in the same name (my phone company sends me two different bills because they consider the second line a separate account). If they are not, that could be a problem. Dish uses a business version of caller ID that all businesses may use and is exempt from any caller ID blocking (Congress saw to this because businesses lobbied for it).

As was suggested, if you can, use the Ethernet connection on either or both.

Sounds good. The phone is in my wifes name (same last name)but I can change it if its an issue.

check with your phone company as you can usually dial *76 or something like that to disable caller id info from being sent before each call. just program your receiver to do in the phone set up page. also, you can add the second number as your alternate number on your dish account. worst case scenario, you get audited. and if that happens, you have both receivers in the same home, so your safe as you will pass.

check with your phone company as you can usually dial *76 or something like that to disable caller id info from being sent before each call. just program your receiver to do in the phone set up page. also, you can add the second number as your alternate number on your dish account. worst case scenario, you get audited. and if that happens, you have both receivers in the same home, so your safe as you will pass.

It doesn't matter. He won't have to do a thing. Caller ID info is sent to companies regardless of blocking setting by the consumer. In other words, he can leave his phone set to block Caller ID info from being sent, but Dish will get the Caller ID info anyway. The law permits companies to do this. I forget the name of the system, but companies that subscribe to such systems can still get your Caller ID info even if you block it. Would somebody chime in with the name of the system that allows companies to get Caller ID info even if the consumer blocks it? I remember it being a funky name.

Its called a 1-800 number. Free for the caller, but the receiver of the call does pay for it. Since they are paying to receive the call they are allowed access to the caller-id data regardless of block status.

The facility is called Automatic Number Identification (ANI), and it's technically not the same as caller ID.

I've had 800 numbers before, and the caller's phone number was always on the records provided by the phone company.

There may be exceptions, but I never saw one.

Large companies have many phone options that are not available to us ordinary rabble.

The facility is called Automatic Number Identification (ANI), and it's technically not the same as caller ID.

I've had 800 numbers before, and the caller's phone number was always on the records provided by the phone company.

Large companies have many phone options that are not available to us ordinary rabble.
Anyone remembers that toll free number you call that will tell you your number?
So you can prove this to people like Pen15head.

I worked where we used the ANI as well.. it always comes in on 800 numbers.. ALWAYS..

You could use DishCOMM to connect the two receivers. This would allow you to share the phone line connection for the 722. Menu 6-1-8 to get to the DishCOMM setup screen. Or connect it broadband and then you will get access to Sling Guide and Dish Online.

DishCOMM may be blocked in your house if one of the machines uses a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) or surge protector or even, in some cases, is on a different leg of the AC main. In that case you may need to find another AC outlet on the same odd/even... breaker set. The Setup will tell you there is a problem.
-Ken

notme- dont gotta prove nothing to me. what ya'll said about the ANI system and differnent rules for businesses makes sense. sounds logical, i believe it and learned something new.

i personally feel that caller id should be displayed at all times. if someone is going to call, then they should be identified. i mean, if you had a peephole on your door and whoever is knocking on the door is covering it with their finger, would you want to answer that door?

notme- dont gotta prove nothing to me. what ya'll said about the ANI system and differnent rules for businesses makes sense. sounds logical, i believe it and learned something new.

i personally feel that caller id should be displayed at all times. if someone is going to call, then they should be identified. i mean, if you had a peephole on your door and whoever is knocking on the door is covering it with their finger, would you want to answer that door?

Problem is what if one accidentally calls a scammer or someone who is adept at ID theft? My grandmother had people calling her about bad checks and other money matters because someone did get her phone number and used it on bum-checks they made. Caller ID blocking is a good thing. If I knock on your door and you open it, you have no personal info on me that I don't choose to disclose, and I'll ask if someone is there who I am looking for, and after you tell me that they don't live here, I'll apologize and move on, and I won't, nor do you expect me to, provide my name or telephone number. Two ships that pass in the night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts