Two questions for Newbies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
Has "D" reached an agreement with the PAC 12? What do the numbers following the HR54 mean 200, 500, 700? Any information regarding any next gen Genies? I was told yesterday by a "D" rep that the latest rumor sees a 10 tuner 2 TB version coming. Sorry, that was three questions.

Has "D" reached an agreement with the PAC 12? What do the numbers following the HR54 mean 200, 500, 700? Any information regarding any next gen Genies? I was told yesterday by a "D" rep that the latest rumor sees a 10 tuner 2 TB version coming. Sorry, that was three questions.
Haven't heard anything of late about the Pac 12 and D*, if an agreement has been met, I'd think you would have heard about it here by now.

As for the -200,0500 and 700, that designates the manufacture.
They all do the same thing and have the same format.

Have not heard anything yet on a new recvr, there has been a lot of speculation about whats coming, but nothing official.

Thanks Jimbo. I ask some newbie questions because I'm having the HR54 installed this week and have been a Hopper user since it came out. I know one of the HR54 manufactures is Samsung, the 500 I think. Just wondering about the build quality differences between the three manufactures. I'm sure they all build to the same "D" required specs but you never know. I remember reading a lot of complaints from "D" subs when "D" continued to fail to reach an agreement with the PAC 12 Network fully one year after Dish reached an agreement. It's been pretty quiet lately and since I was with Dish I really didn't pay much attention. It is surprising that an agreement still hasn't been reached. Being a Genie virgin now I am trying to learn some of the nuances of the HR54 so that I can set it up properly. Should I make sure that the installer does any SAT GUYS recommended adjustments to the base setup? I can set up a Hopper in my sleep but it took me a long time to learn what it has to offer. I record a lot and will probably install a EHD. I am looking forward to delving into the HR54 but I know from experience that the best source of inside information and useful tips are only available from experienced users. No place is better than SAT GUYS.

Thanks Jimbo. I ask some newbie questions because I'm having the HR54 installed this week and have been a Hopper user since it came out. I know one of the HR54 manufactures is Samsung, the 500 I think. Just wondering about the build quality differences between the three manufactures. I'm sure they all build to the same "D" required specs but you never know. I remember reading a lot of complaints from "D" subs when "D" continued to fail to reach an agreement with the PAC 12 Network fully one year after Dish reached an agreement. It's been pretty quiet lately and since I was with Dish I really didn't pay much attention. It is surprising that an agreement still hasn't been reached. Being a Genie virgin now I am trying to learn some of the nuances of the HR54 so that I can set it up properly. Should I make sure that the installer does any SAT GUYS recommended adjustments to the base setup? I can set up a Hopper in my sleep but it took me a long time to learn what it has to offer. I record a lot and will probably install a EHD. I am looking forward to delving into the HR54 but I know from experience that the best source of inside information and useful tips are only available from experienced users. No place is better than SAT GUYS.
There will be a learning curve of course, feel free to ask questions, that why most of us are here, to help out if possible or Direct you to someone that may.

the only real things that need to be set up are the screen resolution and recording series defaults. the latter is just a personal preference though because some shows i watch and delete right away, other shows i'll just binge the entire season when its done and i don't want them automatically deleted before i can watch em.

there's no real discernible differences that i know of between the different manufacturers so there's nothing you need to worry about there. usually if there's an issue its because of software.

and no word yet on this mysterious 10 tuner device.

as far as the EHD goes, if your genie DOES take a dive, all of the programs recorded on that EHD are now useless as well, and will be reformatted when connected to any other receiver. just want to make sure you are aware.

Thanks guys. My install is next Monday but enthusiastic anticipation drives a couple of questions questions. I'll be getting the HR54 along with the 4K sat and a regular sat. I was told to ask for the HR54 to be placed in a bedroom (ranch) and the 4K sat by the TV. Does that sound OK? I like the looks of the Genie remote. Compact and attractive. I will need the remote to control my AVR but that appears to be doable. It's been 10 years since I've been with "D" but it looks like the steps are the same for setting up the remote to control other pieces of equipment. I'll never understand why the guide doesn't go out three hours but I'll get used to it. Does the remote allow for a 24 hour skip to see what's on the guide/programming for the next day? I know I can ask the installer but man, that's a week away.

Thanks guys. My install is next Monday but enthusiastic anticipation drives a couple of questions questions. I'll be getting the HR54 along with the 4K sat and a regular sat. I was told to ask for the HR54 to be placed in a bedroom (ranch) and the 4K sat by the TV. Does that sound OK? I like the looks of the Genie remote. Compact and attractive. I will need the remote to control my AVR but that appears to be doable. It's been 10 years since I've been with "D" but it looks like the steps are the same for setting up the remote to control other pieces of equipment. I'll never understand why the guide doesn't go out three hours but I'll get used to it. Does the remote allow for a 24 hour skip to see what's on the guide/programming for the next day? I know I can ask the installer but man, that's a week away.

Good Luck getting the RC71 remote to do anything but Directv functions. The RC71 does not work with my AVR, so I would have had to have 2 remotes. The installer couldn't get it to work. It would not change inputs, it would not control the volume on the AVR, it can't even change OTA channels on the TV. I kept my "real" Directv remote RC65 and have used it daily with my HR44 since I got that awful peanut remote. The RC65 can control everything I use regulary, with the handy input slider.

I use the RC71 peanut remote in the bedroom because I split the same receiver to 2 TVs and the only way to use RF is with the RC71 peanut remote. The buttons are too close together and I press the wrong button often. It has annoying loud clicks with the channel and volume toggles, which are easily pressed by a dog or if you set the remote upside down.

The remotes do not have a 24 hour skip, but there is a 12 hour skip forward while in the guide (green button or >>) and a 12 hour back (red or << button) but it only works if you're already ahead in the guide. It doesn't go back in time, sadly, which would make the 72 hour rewind more useful. You can also Jump to a date and time you chose (in the guide, press the dash button).

I'll have to make sure that the installer can set the RC71 remote to function properly. If not, will he be able to give me a RC65? Is he likely to have one and will "D" allow it? Any other HR54 owners out there having this problem? I assume that the RC71 remote is also the standard remote for the HR 44. I have read reviews on the HR54 and not seen this problem mentioned. Could you possibly have a malfunctioning R 71? The "D" rep at Costco did not mention this and I even told him what equipment I will be hooking up. The 24 hour skip ahead seems like a no brainer but I guess I can just hit the button twice. The buttons you're referring to ( green, red etc ) are they the same on the RC71 and RC65? FYI, my AVR is a Sony 1050.

I'll have to make sure that the installer can set the RC71 remote to function properly. If not, will he be able to give me a RC65? Is he likely to have one and will "D" allow it? Any other HR54 owners out there having this problem? I assume that the RC71 remote is also the standard remote for the HR 44. I have read reviews on the HR54 and not seen this problem mentioned. Could you possibly have a malfunctioning R 71? The "D" rep at Costco did not mention this and I even told him what equipment I will be hooking up. The 24 hour skip ahead seems like a no brainer but I guess I can just hit the button twice. The buttons you're referring to ( green, red etc ) are they the same on the RC71 and RC65? FYI, my AVR is a Sony 1050.

The colored buttons are on the RC65 remote. I have 2 RC71s and they both are the same. There are others who have had issues with it, there are posts, but there are cases where it works or else it would be all over the forums. If you have issues with the RC71, the installer will probably have a RC65, but they might not believe you that it will work. They are cheap online if not. I wish you luck with the RC71 and your set up. But if there are issues that develop, just know there are other options.

One other thing you can do, If you go into the Guide, find your channel and highlight the channel name, (all the way to the left) hit Info and it will bring up programming for that channel for a few days.

I love the peanut remote but good luck getting it to work with anything other than your DirecTV equipment and TV.

Not being able to use the Peanut remote seems like a pretty big issue. I have not seen this issue mentioned in any review of the HR54. In looking through the threads I'm not seeing anybody making a stink about this. There will be a big stink come Monday if the installer cannot program the RC71 to operate my AVR.

For almost a year I was able to turn the TV, soundbar and receiver on and off and control volume with the peanut remote. Now I can't turn on the soundbar with it, only the TV and receiver. I can still control volume and the off button still turns off the soundbar along with the TV and receiver. Go figure.

For almost a year I was able to turn the TV, soundbar and receiver on and off and control volume with the peanut remote. Now I can't turn on the soundbar with it, only the TV and receiver. I can still control volume and the off button still turns off the soundbar along with the TV and receiver. Go figure.
Re Program it.

Every 44 or 54 owner should check out "Solid Signal" web site for a lighted version of the RC 71/73. $20 for the RC7XB lighted Directv remote. Looks identical to the 71/73.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)