Two Quick Questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Anonymous99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
USA
Anyone know how long the sling adapter promotion for current customers is going to last?

Also, I'm considering putting up the $25 to get the WiFi adapter offered by Dish Network instead of having someone run a wire for $150-$200, but I have a quick question before I take the plunge. I have an older router that supports wireless G (Linksys WRT54GX Wireless G Broadband Router), but was made before N even came about. The WiFi adapter says that it's a Wireless N adapter. Just to confirm, N is backwards compatible and would work with my G router, right?

As always, thanks for any help or suggestions!

Disregard the first question, just found the answer to it!

Just to be clear that the Sling Adapter and the Sling Extender are two completely different pieces of equipment. The Sling Extender has not been released yet. The Sling Adapter rebate is currently running through January 2012.

This is the link to the Sling Adapter Rebate promotion. (redacted the URL because it won't let me post with the URL for some reason...) Get the Facts Compare - DISH Network[/url] The Sling Adapter had to be ordered after 5-18-2011 through a CSR (or DIRT) to qualify for the rebate.

Last edited:
N is fully backwards compatible with G. The Dish adapter is a good deal, not a terribly long range unit but getting it up and running is simplicity itself.

Wireless is always a last resort for streaming video. You're much better off running a cable, unless your wireless internet is ungodly fast. Wireless is much more likely to cause freezing, pixellation, etc..

lee4862 said:
Wireless is always a last resort for streaming video. You're much better off running a cable, unless your wireless internet is ungodly fast. Wireless is much more likely to cause freezing, pixellation, etc..

Also depends on how picky u r. I stream Netflix through the Wii, worksjust fine for us. However when I want to watch VOD on the 722 it takes for ever to download a tv show, often just as long as the length of the show. Probably will put the 722 back on wired, soon ask ha e time to run the cat 5.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

This is what I originally thought too, but if wireless G can reach speeds up to 54 Mbps, and my internet isn't even at 10 Mbps, should it really make a difference? In other words, even if I'm maxing out my Internet connection, I would still only need 1/5th of the available bandwidth the adapter provides...

Also, does anyone know if I have to use their WiFi adapter? Is the receiver locked to only accept their hardware? Turns out that Amazon sells some even cheaper adapters with great reviews. My only worry would be trying to install the necessary software for them... (Amazon.com: wifi adapter)

True but... Nobody gets 54Mbps out of 802.11g. In practice it can be much less (20Mbps is "good"), and many wireless routers fall back to 802.11b speeds (or even zero) when suffering interference. 802.11b IIRC is theoretically 11Mbps and (like G) far less in practice. You avoid all that malfeasance with a wired connection.

I believe there is one other adapter that has been found to work, a search of this forum going back several months will tell you which one. Dish's adapter is guaranteed to work, most others will not.

I believe there is one other adapter that has been found to work, a search of this forum going back several months will tell you which one. Dish's adapter is guaranteed to work, most others will not.

Thanks! I did the search, and the general consensus seems to just bite the bullet and pay the $25 to Echostar so you're guaranteed the compatibility necessary. In fact, it seems that the needed adapters are so specific that only version 2 of the exact adapter that Echostar provides works, meaning that it's better to buy from Echostar even if your local store carries the same model (make sure you get the same version, and you're unlikely to get a new adapter at a cheaper price than Echostar...). I'm mostly just replying to help others who may be in the same situation and don't want to go through the research of reading the previous threads...

Thanks! I did the search, and the general consensus seems to just bite the bullet and pay the $25 to Echostar so you're guaranteed the compatibility necessary.
And an FYI ... if you find you have speed issues, you could also purchase a very very decent N based router from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162026

That's a router I use, reloaded it with DD-WRT and use it for bridges throughout the house. At 41 dollars its still a steal ... and you don't need to replace your current 54G router .... use the N as an Access Point (bridge, not router) and allow wireless N devices only. This way you can have TWO wireless networks in your house, the first goes to your gateway router .. use it for pc's and such, use the second (wireless N) network for your playstation, wii, xbox, Dish Receiver ... you're not likely to be using all of them at the same time, and even if you do, they are more cooperative on the N network, and at a higher speed. I can give you more details if you'd like..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162026

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)