Use Slingbox AV through DishOnLine.com

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
I have a Sling Adapter on my 722k, but I also have a slingbox AV connected to a 211.

I have read allusions to using a Slingbox with DishOnLine.com, but since my Sling account and my Dish account have different usernames and passwords, I have been unable to get DishOnLine to look for my Slingbox, much less get it to work.

If I change my Sling account to use the same username and password as my DishOnLine account will DishOnLine be able to see and use my SlingBox AV?

Has anyone had any luck getting anytype of Slingbox to work through DishOnLine.com?

what happens if you go into DishOnline.com .. near the top under your user/name .. is "My Account" and then look at your receivers.. is there a link there to "add a slingbox"? this should also be available under Dish Remote Access .. preferences tab at the far right.. "my receivers" ..etc..

I do not see an option to add a slingbox, but there is a link to the right of eack of my 211's that says "connect a slingbox".

When I click on the link I get a window that says "Slingbox Connection" then has two boxes one on top of the other that both say "type=hidden".

Below that are boxes for my Sling account username and Sling account password.

I do not know what to do with the two top boxes that say "type=hidden" and when I put the username and password for my slingbox account in the lower boxes and click "Submit", it just sets there and does nothing.

It seems to me since Dish is owns Slingbox they should merge these two technologoes and make them compatible, if they haven't already.

I prefer the SlingBox user interface with the replica of my Dish remote on the screen rather than the row of buttons below the picture.

The replica remote allows you to view both live and recorded material from one interface plus you can pull up the guide directly off the receiver.

The DishOnLine interface is very lame.

I do not see an option to add a slingbox, but there is a link to the right of eack of my 211's that says "connect a slingbox".

When I click on the link I get a window that says "Slingbox Connection" then has two boxes one on top of the other that both say "type=hidden".

Below that are boxes for my Sling account username and Sling account password.

I do not know what to do with the two top boxes that say "type=hidden" and when I put the username and password for my slingbox account in the lower boxes and click "Submit", it just sets there and does nothing.

The DishOnLine interface is very lame.
sorry...I disagree ... not lame but f**king stupid.
And to the rest.. yup.. it seems like dishonline broke THAT too! I don't know what happened.. that form should have a login or submit... the "upgrade" button over there is of course for their f**king ad to try to trick people into paying 200 dollars for the 922's ilk.

All I could say is to keep checking it.. so far, and I've even spoken on the phone to a VP of communications.. there's no accountability for DishOnline people. I could go on about dishonline's problems.. it took them 2 months to enable the update for FF4.0.1 to see premium content (hbo, starz, cinemax, etc) and its been 7 or 8 weeks now that pressing play on a DVR item at DO causes it to play on TV1 ... and then the plethora of other things..

As to DRA ... I just looked there.. and note now that my 211k is missing from there.. so I can't edit/add the sling there..

I'd suggest submitting a bug through feedback on that page (before you click the link to "connect a slingbox"

*** EDIT ****
Use Firefox 32 bit 4.0.1 ... F**KING form doesn't complete for me on IE 8 ...

further edit.. you know people may think I'm blowing sh*t out of proportion.. but I'm sorry.. what the F do you expect.. I just logged into dishonline in firefox.. I tells me "finding dvr" I wait.. it finally shows ... then I go to account.. doesn't find any dvr's... I log out.. log back in.. again gives me the "vew dvr" option like it should have.. I go there.. it shows content.. so go back to the "Account" page.. and now it finds my dvr's.. and hence the "F**KING FORM" as above..

BUT ... Now I go back to "View DVR" and look at it.. and I'm like.. W?? T?? F?? its got three recordings on there ABOVE a single TMZ recording that happened TODAY at 6:30pm eastern.. and then I think for a minute.. and I'm like.. NO *I DID* delete those other three...

so I hit refresh.. a minute later the thing updates... and those shows disapper from the recorded events.. WTF DISH?? first you don't see my dvr.. then when you do.. its really just your f**king cached information???

And people wonder why I'm so pissed at dish online all the f**king time.. :(
/rant

Last edited:
No.

Here is a transcript when I asked that question to a very confused Dish rep. The bottom line is that a regular sling box WILL NOT work with Dishonline.

Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): Thank you for choosing DISH Network, how can I help you today?
Carissa Pavlica: I am wondering if a regular non-Dish slingbox will work with Dishonline.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): I will be happy to assist you with your request.
Carissa Pavlica: Hello? Are you still there?
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): Yes.
Carissa Pavlica: Just checking. :)
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): Ok.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): You can watch episodes on DishOnline without the sling box you just wont be able to watch live TV.
Carissa Pavlica: So the answer is no, then.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): No you can watch episodes on there without the sling box.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): You just cant watch live TV.
Carissa Pavlica: Ok, I know I can watch Dishonline. I am asking specificially about my slingbox. You are saying I CANNOT access my independent slingbox through Dishonline, even though it is "recognized" on the application. Correct?
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): One moment please.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): I'm going to send you a link can you please go to this link and let me know if you have this piece of equipment please.
The agent is sending you to http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/slingadapter/default.aspx.
Carissa Pavlica: No, I do not have the adaptor. I was using my computer and dishonline. I was unaware the adaptor had gone on sale.
Carissa Pavlica: I have dishonline on my cellphone, but can only watch online programming provided by Dish then, I assume.
Carissa Pavlica: I have a standalone sling box. Purchased before this product was available.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): So you can watch what they provide on DishOnline as long as you subscribe to the programming. If your receiver is connected to the internet you can schedule recordings online.
Carissa Pavlica: This, to be exact. Slingbox.com - Slingbox PRO-HD
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): You don't have a Sling box.
Carissa Pavlica: Dishonline "recognizes" the slingbox, and has the information, but asks for a "guest password" which I don't have. Yes, actually, that IS a Slingbox. It is from Slingbox and what Dish used to partner with to make the adaptor.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): I understand. The reason why it is asking for a password is because you don't have the right equipment to access. You will need to purchase the sling adapter.
Carissa Pavlica: Just to make doubly sure I understand. Dishonline will NOT recognize and work with a regular Sling Player, but only the adaptor as provided by Dish Network.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): What are you trying to do on DishOnline?
Carissa Pavlica: I was trying to use the sling access portion of Dish Online to view programming recorded on my DVR.
Carissa Pavlica: With an actual sling box, not an adaptor, as sold at Dish Network
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): You wont be able to do that unless you have the Sling adapter.
Carissa Pavlica: Thank you.
Jennifer (ID: ZVV): Your welcome.

Can't you create a "Guest" account for access through Sling media's website? That guest account password should then work in the DishOnline player.

In either case I suspect that you'd find other areas the app doesn't mesh well with non-sling adapter connected sling boxes .. but since the WebSlingPlayer is the same across the three sites it might be worth the try.

DishOnline's "add a slingbox" function is 100% f*cked. However if you go to DISH Remote Access Login instead, log in with your sling account and click on "preferences, receivers" if your 211 shows as "online" you might be able to connect your slingbox there.

That's how I got my Slingbox Pro connected to my 722 working. However now I want to switch that Pro to my 222 but the 222 always shows as offline even though it's not. It might be my router, in order to be my 722 functioning 100% I had to put it in the router's DMZ but since you can only have 1 box in the DMZ I can't add both my 722 and 222 there. Not sure what the issue is.

Hmmm. I never had to put my receiver into the DMZ to get my Sling Adapter to work... You might try removing the 722 from your DMZ and see if the 222 goes officially online with DRA.

Hmmm. I never had to put my receiver into the DMZ to get my Sling Adapter to work... You might try removing the 722 from your DMZ and see if the 222 goes officially online with DRA.

heh, I just did that remotely and rebooted my router, now the 722 still shows up as online but the 222 doesn't show up at all. I'll have to wait till I get home and hard-reset the box. I'm also using static IP addresses (DHCP reservations) but I'm guessing most other folks aren't doing that either. Sorry to threadjack, let's keep this one on topic for the OP and I'll start my own if I can't get a resolution.

heh, I just did that remotely and rebooted my router, now the 722 still shows up as online but the 222 doesn't show up at all. I'll have to wait till I get home and hard-reset the box. I'm also using static IP addresses (DHCP reservations) but I'm guessing most other folks aren't doing that either. Sorry to threadjack, let's keep this one on topic for the OP and I'll start my own if I can't get a resolution.
well I'd say its still on topic .... when you pulled the 722 out of the DMZ you entered the IP of the 222 as the DMZ host right? If that's the case and the 222 disappeared then its probably the 222 needs to re-address itself to the dish servers (ie, call home to mama) and until that happens it may not be seen by Dish (DRA or DO). And to the "not on topic" issue, more than likely the problem you had was UPnP ... seems that is the biggest problem with most routers and why I'm glad not to have that problem with DD-WRT firmware on my cisco/linksys router.

Also on my earlier comment about DO/DRA ... I had forgotten that one time I went into DO and the WebSlingPlayer did in fact show me a pushbutton control, which popped up a remote for a dish receiver, though my 722 didn't respond due to one of the DishOnline being "offline" or slow conditions problems at the time ... the point of which is that if the config from DishOnline (or DRA) doesn't preclude the option or force a setting when accessing remotely, you might get the option for the remote control popup ... if you did, then the DO/DRA sites would operate more like watch.slingbox.com does with respect to sling *boxes* ....

The "pushbutton" I mention was in the box where we normally see the play/ff/rew etc controls. The icon for it looked as if it was a "wireless" signal icon >))) (like that only standing vertical not laying on its side as those characters are) .... and it was pushing that icon area which got me the remote ... once DishOnline started working again, that button area disappeared as dishonline loaded its default overlay with normal playback controls.

well I'd say its still on topic .... when you pulled the 722 out of the DMZ you entered the IP of the 222 as the DMZ host right? If that's the case and the 222 disappeared then its probably the 222 needs to re-address itself to the dish servers (ie, call home to mama) and until that happens it may not be seen by Dish (DRA or DO)

Correct, that's how I have it set now. I walked my wife through resetting the 222's network connection from the dish menu to see if that would make it "call home" but it didn't make it reappear in DO. I wonder if DishComm might be getting in the way? If I have a 722 and 222, both connected via LAN is it possible that the 222 is trying to use DishComm instead and communicating via the 722's LAN connection? Is there any way to disable DishComm?

edit : DO just went down...guess I broke it? :)

edit : DO just went down...guess I broke it? :)
I WISH!! :) I'd try to break it EVERY day.. till they make the whole thing better!

For seeing in DO though ... could be a myriad of things.. usually if I manually log out of Dish Online .... and then Log Back into it ... that refreshes the "receivers" but doesn't refresh any content it pulls ....

ie. past couple of weeks since DishOnline moved to "The Cloud" ... once logged in, it would only show the last known refresh of DVR content ... if I go to the DVR physically, and delete some things... I have to refresh the DishOnline *DVR* page (sometimes more than once) to have Dish Online properly communicate to the 722k get the current contents (now missing the things I'd deleted) and THEN it would show me updated data.

But just logging out and then logging back in again, would usually be all that it would take to *show me* that I have 2 722k's and my 211k.

Also noted, though I've not checked recently, that those extra dialog boxes, like "add slingbox" and prompts you for user/pass at slingbox.com ... that those dialog boxes haven't been working for me in IE8 .. though they work fine in FF4 (haven't tried FF5 either for those dialogs). In IE8 I wouldn't see the "submit" button...

The login/logout worked, now both my receivers show up however both are offline. I was able to reconnect the 722 and now I can see my DVR stuff, but the 222 shows as offline no matter what I do. It also shows as offline in the DRA site.

Yeah.. my 211k shows that all the time ... its not a "connected" receiver for the normal sakes of Dish ... not like the 922/722, etc..

But ... now that it shows the 222 are you able to do the "connect a slingbox" on it?

But ... now that it shows the 222 are you able to do the "connect a slingbox" on it?

Yes...and no. Yes I can see the link, but when I put in my username and password and click "submit", it does nothing. I've tried IE 8, Chrome and Firefox 3.x and 4.x. It does the same thing if I try to edit the settings from that screen of my 722. The only way I've been able to connect a slingbox to the 722 is through DRA, never through Dish Online.

Well what do you know....decided to try early this morning (6am) and was able to get my 222 connected to the slingbox through DO. It's like they changed something overnight :)

one last update - since the 222 shows as "offline" it means I can't use that slingbox through the Dish iPad or iPhone apps which is a major bummer. Also since I moved my 722 out of the DMZ it too shows as offline all the time and I have to "reconnect" it. I wonder if it's a timeout somewhere on my router - for now I'll put it back in the DMZ.

one last update - since the 222 shows as "offline" it means I can't use that slingbox through the Dish iPad or iPhone apps which is a major bummer. Also since I moved my 722 out of the DMZ it too shows as offline all the time and I have to "reconnect" it. I wonder if it's a timeout somewhere on my router - for now I'll put it back in the DMZ.
I would lay odds more on a problem with UPnP .... the concept was simple... the execution is chaotic. UPnP has a long history of issues with things like this.. more frequently you'll read it with XBox Live & PS3's because of the massive scale they have in deployed boxes as opposed to Dish's receivers.

Check Uncle Cracker ...er.. Google... uncle ggl will help you find UPNP with your router brand/model number. (read through some of the xbox threads you'll get a whirlwind of issues)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)