Two thumbs up for Equator HD

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Yeah, it may become one of my favorite channels. I just hope they will not have a lot of repetitions and that they will lower a compression rate.

Equator Channel is Hot

Equator Cnannel is hot. I love it we get to see the world in HD. In one week we have been to Venice, Provence , Cambodia, Australia, and many more exotic locals. Watching on my Mitsubishi 65 inch Diamond, with dual link DVI, rocks. It is like being there without the hassle.. Thanks Voom. I always wanted the travel channel in HD , now we have Equator, the next best thing

calikarim said:
...I always wanted the travel channel in HD , now we have Equator, the next best thing

I agree with you. Except.... "the next best thing"? :no Equator HD is way better! :up Travel channel is a lot of marketing hype. And what about all those commercials?

Equator HD, Discovery HD, and Gallery HD are my favorites on VOOM. Then the premium HD channels. Then Cinema 10. I wish I could get PBS HD, but we don't get any OTA here. :river

Conjuror said:
Yeah, it may become one of my favorite channels. I just hope they will not have a lot of repetitions and that they will lower a compression rate.
Nice channel, but please pass on the old axiom "Variety is the spice of life" to a friends in the prog. dept.-Thank You.

If VOOM can keep the new destinations coming this channel could become my favorite as well. The "Eye Over..." series is spectacular.

I've been out of town for the last 4 days and they are still showing the same programs that were on when I left. Did I miss something, or do they only have 5 shows for this channel?

I like the channel and watched a few shows on it this weekend.

If you want Skin try Skinemax.

Equator HD is a nice channel, but they seem to have a setup problem of some sort that causes loads of "pixel dancing" all over the screen. It's sort of like looking through a screen wire and moving your head from side to side. From talking to someone else, they said this is probably being caused by the following:

They are not bandwidth limiting the signal to less than 1/2 the pixal rate like they should. That causes beating between the two. In other words they are not sampling at or above the Nyquist rate.

This explains it: http://umech.mit.edu/weiss/PDFfiles/lectures/lec20nm.pdf

They appear to sampling below the Nyquist rate.

seandudley said:
Equator HD is a nice channel, but they seem to have a setup problem of some sort that causes loads of "pixel dancing" all over the screen. It's sort of like looking through a screen wire and moving your head from side to side. From talking to someone else, they said this is probably being caused by the following:

They are not bandwidth limiting the signal to less than 1/2 the pixal rate like they should. That causes beating between the two. In other words they are not sampling at or above the Nyquist rate.

I think thats what I was trying to say when I said it looked good but a little grainy. nice technical explaination.

I got Voom installed on Saturday.. I've been very impressed with EquatorHD.. That and DiscoveryHD are my two favorites. Then theres always my local PBS HD, which is absolutely stunning.

seandudley said:

Sean,
Has this problem been reported to Wilt Hindenbrand (Yahoo Group)? If not, can you re-post this message over there?

seandudley said:

Yah i agree. It does seems to be a little bit grainy at times though I do Love Equator HD. Let's hope they can fix it...

ChetK said:
This channel stinks compared to DiscoveryHD Theater on Dish Network OF COURSE!

I am confused is there not a Discovery HD on VOOM? And is it not just as good as the Dish Network version?

DBENE said:
I am confused is there not a Discovery HD on VOOM? And is it not just as good as the Dish Network version?
Yes, they both have it and, yes, it is better, beyond a shadow of a doubt, on Dish Network.

Sean, good explanation of Pixel Dancing. I tuned in EquatorHD 3 times today and it's on every show, though it's worse on some. Painting the Country is pretty good but still exhibits the dancing pixels. I hope Wilt can pinpoint it, fix it and I also hope they add new programming soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)