U-Verse or Time Warner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tjguitar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Those are my two choices as my condo does not face the southern sky :(

TW has a $75/mo for 2 years TV and internet contract price, and supposedly has free HD., UVerse is around $67 for just the TV w/ free dvr (which I doubt I'd use) (+ $10 for hD), but no contract, and a $200 visa card cashback. There is a lower ATT TV tier for $55 a month w/o the DVR (and without VERSUS), but no cash back

Both have the basic channels that I desire..I haven't had cable in a long time, we've had directv for many years at my parents place. Uverse has a better sports pack, but its $10/mo, while cable's sports tier is only $5/mo (and includes MLB Net, as well as offering NHL CI, NBA LP and MLB EI if I ever feel so inclined again).

Cable seems like a really good deal, I can get locked in at a low price for 2 years. Is PQ significantly better on the AT&T? I assume that cable modem is faster than the AT&T UVerse DSL.

With AT&T, I get access to ESPN360 which gives me all the espn fullcourt and gameplan games for free on the computer, don't know how much I'd utilize that or if Time Warner even offers that too.

tjguitar said:

TW has a $75/mo for 2 years TV and internet contract price, and supposedly has free HD., UVerse is around $67 for just the TV w/ free dvr (which I doubt I'd use) (+ $10 for hD), but no contract, and a $200 visa card cashback. There is a lower ATT TV tier for $55 a month w/o the DVR (and without VERSUS), but no cash back

Both have the basic channels that I desire..I haven't had cable in a long time, we've had directv for many years at my parents place. Uverse has a better sports pack, but its $10/mo, while cable's sports tier is only $5/mo (and includes MLB Net, as well as offering NHL CI, NBA LP and MLB EI if I ever feel so inclined again).

Cable seems like a really good deal, I can get locked in at a low price for 2 years. Is PQ significantly better on the AT&T? I assume that cable modem is faster than the AT&T UVerse DSL.

With AT&T, I get access to ESPN360 which gives me all the espn fullcourt and gameplan games for free on the computer, don't know how much I'd utilize that or if Time Warner even offers that too.

U verse is a flawed service. So I would go with Time Warner.

I've had UVERSE for 6 weeks after 15 years of both Sats. HighDef video=OTA quality. SD picture better than anything on the market. Faster channel change than anything on the market. Watch any recording from any box on any TV in the house, Great VOD. Intuitive Channel guide and search. Only downside 2HD channels at a time. low cost, many HD channels. DVR control from net, caller ID and much more.If Time Warner was free and offered the same service, I probably wouldn't switch:D

Hard to say. IMHO, both have serious issues. TWC has been madly making changes for the last several months that hurt the user. Things like picture and audio quality, loss of favorite channel list, having no meaningful guide info, etc.

The one good thing you have with TWC is that they give you 60 days to cancel without penalty. Don't know about uverse.

I have had Uverse for 2 years. Its still new to South Florida.
When it first came down here, I had issues.

All those issues have been resolved. Mainly it was glitchy. Picture would freeze up.
They needed to get the kinks out.

Also Hd in the beggining was fair.

Fast forward to now.

HD is better then dish network on par with Direc tv. I have not had Time warner in 20 years- cant speak of it.

No glitching or issues at all. SD is picture perfect! Vod outstanding. Channel changing is lightening fast.
Its great to watch recorded proramming anywhere...

Internet is awesome!

Best part is there is no contract. Plus they are running promotions of 100-200 cash back depending on what package you get.

Its worth a try. You dont like it, cancel it.

Downside...streams..They have upped it to 3 streams. To my knowledge they are adressing it.
Plus only main unit has full dvr functionality.

Im not shilling Uverse. I have other systems.
But they give you allot at a great price.

Get any agreement with TWC in writing and make sure you keep a copy. I have a two year agreement with them are they now trying to charge me full price for tiers, rather than the 1/2 price they agreed upon.

HD PQ is good, however with Switched Digital Video there are odd times, which you will get a picture freeze up. Video on Demand is great, they have a 24 hr local news channel, you get your actual local weather forecast on the Weather Channel; plus they have a startover feature which is kewl, where you can startover a program on approximately 100 different channels if you missed the beginning.

The downside of TWC is their cisco (atlantic scientific) dvrs are no match for Dishnetwork Equipment. However, recently they did a software upgrade to their navigator menu and have somewhat made their fast forward feature more user friendly. Their dvr boxes do give PIP, something that Dish did too, however it is not a full size side by side view. You get a smaller picture in the large picture.
You will not have the NFL Network and HD Network; two of the channels I miss most; but I do have all the MSG channels in HD, YES Network in HD and MLB Network in HD.

In the WNY area, TWC is raising the price of their standalone Standard Roadrunner Service to $54.95 a month starting September 1st.; basically forcing you to bundle for a discount and not pick up a satellite company instead.

Right now I am suppose to be paying $97 a month for my service with includes a hd dvr and an additional hd box, roadrunner and approximately 85 hd channels. If you add premium channels you will get more hd, plus they have 5 additional channels to launch during the next couple months.

Hope this helps you out.

Uverse also has the local weather channel plus other features. We have weather here. L Frank Baum described the area around Topeka,not the movie's southwest Kansas, while writing "TheWizard of Oz. " I spend many hours sleeping in front of TV. It's wonderful to have weather alerts on every channel in brilliant flashing red and white accompanied by a sound that feels you're 2 foot from the world's largest fog horn.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)