U334 - upgrade software button gets you U336

Sorry for the double post, but I'm desperate for help...

I had U334. In the menus, I selected the option to upgrade the software and went to bed.

This morning, my recording, timers, and schedule are broken.

The schedule is stuck at 1:30 a.m. and therefore did not record 3 scheduled items this morning.

When watching live TV or in the guide, pushing record gets the error 1281 - Timer creation failed, Please try back later.

In the schedule, if I try to skip or restore an item, it does nothing.

I have tried a red button reset, with no change. I don't know what else to try???

thanks in advance...

If you have any Joeys, unplug them from the wall/power outlet. Try the upgrade process again. Before you do though, check the Timers to see if anything is supposed to record in the next hour or so. If there is, tell the timer to skip or better yet, delete the timer (after you write it down so you remember to recreate it later).

I don't have the option to upgrade again (I guess because I have the latest version)

I did the 30 second unplug, with no change, took 12 minutes to reboot. I was nervous it wouldn't come back.

I then unplugged my joeys and did the 30 second unplug, came back much quicker this time, but no change...

Turn it off (standby mode) for about 30 to 60 minutes. Watch the TV screen and see if it does a software update and/or a guide download during that time. Be sure no Joeys are on and no recordings or timers are set for that hour.

I don't have the option to upgrade again (I guess because I have the latest version)
Ahhh, I thought the entire upgrade failed and you were still on U334. Try what JSheridan mentions.

Also, there are some "reset" options available in U334 and higher. I can't remember them off-hand, but you get to them by hitting the "Home" button on the remote (3) times, then "Tools". I think you want "Partial reset" or similar wording. Do not randomly pick one or all of them - if you look at what they describe to do, you can go as far as wiping out your recordings and timers if you pick the wrong one. If in doubt, just back out of the menu.

Reactions: DWS44
So, I ended up doing the partial reset, it froze up and I was very nervous, but it came back, all of my timers and my recordings are still there and my EHDs work...

the only thing I lost I guess were my favorites lists and some settings. I guess those for some reason aren't saved with the timers and recordings...

dunno if they are saved in the remote or not, but I'm happy with what I got and ain't gonna mess with it anymore, just rebuild my lists/settings...

whew...

the only thing I lost I guess were my favorites lists and some settings.
You were a guinea pig :biggrin:biggrin No one seems to know exactly what each 'reset' option does with 100% certainty, but we're learning as people do different ones, I guess !

I guess those for some reason aren't saved with the timers and recordings...
Well, it does say "All files except timers and recordings" in the description.

Otherwise, at this point, everything seems to be good ?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know it says timings and recordings, but it just seems silly to not save your lists also... all else is well...

well shoot, tried to update to 336, joeys unplugged.
constant reboots, progress bar only gets about 1/5th the way on the download, to the e under end. picture comes back on, hopper reboots, been about 20-30 minutes so far doing this.

is the update timing out from the sat ?? or just let it do its thing

had a 40, 50, and 52 remote paired. removed all but the 52. heck just reaching here.

Don't stress it. Several folks have had similar issues. Now that you have initiated the update, it will probably update itself during its next nightly reboot cycle. That's what has happened for most folks who have issues during the initial attempt.

crazy, removed the 50, and 40 remote, update has gotten much farther than before. coincidence, answered prayers, fear of more foul words, lol not sure but i'll take it.
was trying to get my ehd seen, to transfer recordings to reset the box somehow, per my other thread. sigh, should be a fun day.
lol

thanks for the time

made it to the memory being programmed screen as soon as i removed the other remotes. hope there are good things after this screen, lol
on 336, transferring shows to ehd now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)