U334 - upgrade software button gets you U336

U336 fixed my H3 seeing the old EHD but now there is another issue. My H3 can't use it without formatting first. I had DiRT do a "hit" but no help. The EHD came off of a Vip622 so I suspect there is some kind of a hard drive problem. I used a Linux Live CD and it sees 2 partitions, one a 500 GB unformatted partition (uh oh) and one ~200 GB ext3 partition (it is a 750 GB WD drive). I had about 100 programs saved and now have only 2, both on the second partition. I used testdisk and it shows a deleted partition but no files on it. What could have happened? Before I say screw it and just reformat it again I thought I would check here first. Any ideas? I could care less about losing the movies saved as they can be found elsewhere but I had a local newscast saved that I was part of that cannot be replaced. I did a Macrium Reflect backup of the EHD to be safe but there are only 2 files inside the DishArc folder there too.

Thanks!
Dave

U336 was a quick release to add the accessibility features as part of CVAA. The CVAA had a deadline and Dish needed to meet it by having those features available. If you do not need those accessibility features I suggest staying on U334 as there are known bugs with U336.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

U336 fixed my H3 seeing the old EHD but now there is another issue. My H3 can't use it without formatting first. I had DiRT do a "hit" but no help. The EHD came off of a Vip622 so I suspect there is some kind of a hard drive problem. I used a Linux Live CD and it sees 2 partitions, one a 500 GB unformatted partition (uh oh) and one ~200 GB ext3 partition (it is a 750 GB WD drive). I had about 100 programs saved and now have only 2, both on the second partition. I used testdisk and it shows a deleted partition but no files on it. What could have happened? Before I say screw it and just reformat it again I thought I would check here first. Any ideas? I could care less about losing the movies saved as they can be found elsewhere but I had a local newscast saved that I was part of that cannot be replaced. I did a Macrium Reflect backup of the EHD to be safe but there are only 2 files inside the DishArc folder there too.

Thanks!
Dave

Don't format it. I had 2 of my 4 EHD's formatted on a VIP series. The format hasn't changed. It just couldn't see them. I was worried at first that the bad firmware messed up the directories, but U336 proved that the EHD's are fine. Find another rep or demand to talk to someone at Level 3.

Reactions: gdarwin
U336 was a quick release to add the accessibility features as part of CVAA. The CVAA had a deadline and Dish needed to meet it by having those features available. If you do not need those accessibility features I suggest staying on U334 as there are known bugs with U336.
So far (couple of days) haven't seen any issues. What problems are you having?

The problem is my 750 GB EHD is formatted into 3 partitions: partition 1 is ext3 and roughly 1 GB. It has an empty lost&found folder. Partition 2 shows other/no file system (depending on the program looking at it) and 500 GB. Partition 3 is ext3 and roughly 240 GB. I scanned for missing files on partition 2 and none were found. Partition 3 has a lost&found folder and DishArc with 2 folders containing a movie. Something messed up the file system on the 500 GB partition where most of my movies/videos were stored and I am trying to figure out how to fix it. It shows no free space but no data or folders are seen. I tried a 6+ hr file scan with testdisk under Linux and it found 319 random small text files. I think it looks for signatures of known files which being encrypted makes that difficult. What I need is a way to repair the file system back to ext3 while preserving the data. Is that possible?

If you still have U334 software, do nothing but wait. Don't try and fix it or you'll likely make it worse. Wait for U336 or later s/w.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

U331 and U334 didn't see the EHD at all. U336 wants to format the drive even with a DiRT account hit probably because the H3 sees a partition that is not ext3.

U331 and U334 didn't see the EHD at all. U336 wants to format the drive even with a DiRT account hit probably because the H3 sees a partition that is not ext3.
In your case, maybe the drive is toast then.

Why do people want u336 over u334? It isn't going to make the tv shows any better.
U334 = broken external HDD support, U336 = fixed external HDD support

Reactions: peggy97850
Why do people want u336 over u334? It isn't going to make the tv shows any better.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, 334 had a bug that caused Joey's to not connect after a restart. I have 3 Joey's and 1 Hopper so having 3/4 of my TV's not working might be one reason U336 is desirable. Also U336 fixed the invisible EHD problem. Before 336 all 4 of my EHD's were never recognized, after 336 the hopper sees all 4 (2 at a time). That also might be a desirable reason for people wanting 336.

So if you NO Joey's and don't use any EHD's then stay on 334, at with 334 Netflix works. I never watch Netflix on the hopper as the Apple TV interface is soooo much better and so is the sound and PQ.

I am glad Dish gave us the option of 2 updates. Personally, I never pay for VOD movies so it was a non-issue but I used the EHD a lot. HBO and Showtime VOD work fine for me with U336.

I spoke too soon! I just watched an HBO VOD and when I deleted it the H3 gave me an error message that it lost the network connection. I backed out and everything still worked fine though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts