U927 on H3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How long after you first activated the leased H3 on your account did you add the owned one? I am assuming that Dish is just pushing the software out to the receivers in the order in which they were activated. My old Wally always used to get the new software updates almost right away. However, ever since getting my replacement Wally earlier last month, I am not getting the new software until well after my sister gets it on her Wally. She activated her account at the beginning of the year. So, I assume that my relatively more recent activation pushed me down lower on the priority list.

Short Version:
Bought Unit first. The Leased Unit 2-3 hours later. But I am always able to update the Bought using the Upgrade button in Tools. That is when it's allowed to be available. I checked several times a day after I saw it on the first H3, then finally . . .

Long Version:
It was a major reno install and I ended up with Two Techs, A Field Training Super and a Area Super. The Bought unit was installed and activated first and the Leased one that should have been done within a half an hour, although, the install was pre-approved from up top the "Activation" Rep was a shear PITA. Although it said in the account that it was approved, he wouldn't activate it. The Tech was on the phone for so long that the Super jumped in and tried to get it done. But no. Finally after I got a phone charger, since the battery was almost dead, I got on the phone and had "nice chat" with the chap. He activated the Leased unit. So it was activated about 2-3 hours after the Bought one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimgoe
Short Version:
Bought Unit first. The Leased Unit 2-3 hours later. ...
There goes my theory. My other guess was that Dish is prioritizing the leased receivers to get the updates before the purchased ones. All of my receivers are purchased, so that may explain why I seem to be lower on the priority list. In a way, this makes sense. If the customer paid good money to purchase a receiver, then you want to make darn good and sure that the new software version works properly (or at least as properly as possible) before you push it out to those receivers. Customers with purchased receivers are less likely to be under contract. Therefore, they may be more likely to cancel their service if they are inconvenienced by a software update that was not quite ready for prime time. So, Dish lets those subscribers with leased receivers be the guinea pigs first.

There goes my theory. My other guess was that Dish is prioritizing the leased receivers to get the updates before the purchased ones. . .
. . . So, Dish lets those subscribers with leased receivers be the guinea pigs first.

Imagine my surprise. My thoughts exactly.

P.S.
I see that they still haven't addressed the "Nightly Reboot at anytime of the Day" issue either. Now mine are doing it several times a day whenever they want to even when there are recordings in process. And there is no way to stop it. The screen go black and you know waht's next . . .

Imagine my surprise. My thoughts exactly.

P.S.
I see that they still haven't addressed the "Nightly Reboot at anytime of the Day" issue either. Now mine are doing it several times a day whenever they want to even when there are recordings in process. And there is no way to stop it. The screen go black and you know waht's next . . .
That's the price you pay for using the more advanced Hopper 3. At least I have never had that particular issue on any of my Wally. I did have a Hopper Duo do its "Nightly Reboot" in the middle of the day for no apparent reason. That was a long time ago, though, and it only happened once.

• Wow
Reactions: SandFarmer
That's the price you pay for using the more advanced Hopper 3. At least I have never had that particular issue on any of my Wally. I did have a Hopper Duo do its "Nightly Reboot" in the middle of the day for no apparent reason. That was a long time ago, though, and it only happened once.

AND it's always right after Half Past the Hour. Usually, XX:35 - XX:45. And tonight I saw that I had to turn the volume a lot louder than the last FW update.

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, that is when my receivers do the nightly update. Except, they actually do it during the hour (3 AM) that I specified. ;)

I had mine set for 3am and for the longest time they did it faithfully then. When this started I changed it to 6am. Because there is no way to stop it and I am watching, now then. No change. It's more like a Roulette Wheel as to when. Plus 30-45 minutes. :confused:

That's the price you pay for using the more advanced Hopper 3...

That's ridiculous, almost all of us with a Hopper3 have had trouble free use since it's introduction.

There is no justification IMHO, other than financial straits, to want any other receiver. I feel bad for those that failed to upgrade for free when it was introduced.

Yes, that is when my receivers do the nightly update. Except, they actually do it during the hour (3 AM) that I specified. ;)

I had mine set for 3am and for the longest time they did it faithfully then. When this started I changed it to 6am. Because there is no way to stop it and I am watching, now then. No change. It's more like a Roulette Wheel as to when. Plus 30-45 minutes. :confused:

P.S.
Looks like patmurphey didn't get the gist or the truth of the joke nor of the conversation . . . .

My Hopper 3 does the reboot between 9am and 9pm daily, and has done so for months. Dish has no answers when I have made numerous calls to Tech Support. I feel we just have to live with the problem.

My 4K Joey is showing U663 with a 5/15/2020 5:46AM date & time. Does anyone know if this is from the earlier firmware update or if it’s the current version?

That’s the most current
I see the date is different from what my Hopper 3 is showing with U927, so the 4K Joey didn’t get whatever fixes were in the Hopper 3 version (assuming there’s much shared code).

Thanks for the confirmation.

Reactions: HipKat
I have been detailing DVR functionality issues with my Wally in another thread. I keep hoping that the new software versions will fix it, since nothing else has worked. The new software cannot possibly be any worse than what I already have. (Now just watch, Dish will screw up something else, and prove me wrong. However, my sister already has the newest version on her Wally, and it is working just fine.)

All the more reason to make sure you get the newer update pronto... to make sure that you do not have to keep dealing with the issues caused by the previous one.
Actually, it turns out that my Wally did get the new U814 version this morning. No change. :(
I had to jinx it! Now I am getting OTA Signal Lost messages, in spite of the signal meter showing a Strong signal:
View attachment 145333
Changing channels does not fix the problem, and resetting the Wally does not fix it, either. :( :mad:
Try rescanning your channels .
That is actually what caused the problem.
Good news! I finally had a night with atmospheric conditions good enough for all of my OTA channels to come in at once, and enough spare time to patiently keep rescanning the OTA channels on my Wally over and over again until it could finally find all of the channels in a single scan. This problem is now fixed. :)

However, with the latest Wally software version (U815) the DVR functionality issues that I have been detailing in the Wally software thread may have actually gotten worse. My sister has the new version on her Wally. (I do not have it yet, since I am still on U814.) She just told me yesterday that none of her recent recordings are actually watchable. She has also been having some issues with skip back and rewind on the older recordings that will still play. :(

Reactions: Foxbat
I had to jinx it! Now I am getting OTA Signal Lost messages, in spite of the signal meter showing a Strong signal:
View attachment 145333
Changing channels does not fix the problem, and resetting the Wally does not fix it, either. :( :mad:

are you just starting to receive this error message?
I have 2 HWS and get this al of the time. Never had this problem with the 722 or 722K or with the single tuner ota module that got hot
Happens right in the middle of watching a program.

are you just starting to receive this error message?
I have 2 HWS and get this al of the time. Never had this problem with the 722 or 722K or with the single tuner ota module that got hot
Happens right in the middle of watching a program.
For Hopper Duo, and especially for Wally, this particular pop-up is a more recent addition. Previously, it would just incorrectly say that the satellite signal had been lost, while tuned to an OTA channel, even though other Hoppers have had the 739 OTA pop-up for quite awhile. When I would not get the incorrect "satellite signal loss" pop-up, then I would just get a plain black screen whenever there was no OTA signal.

It is not the pop-up itself that I was complaining about in that picture. Now that the correct pop-up has finally been added to the Wally, I see it quite frequently, as I tend to lose OTA signal often here in the fringe of my market. However, when it actually finds a signal (especially a strong signal) the pop-up usually resolves itself, and the station returns. When the pop-up does not go away on its own, changing the channel and then changing back fixes it. Neither of those things happened at the time when I posted that picture, and the pop-up in the picture was indeed showing a strong signal. This started happening right after a re-scan. I think that it was reading the signal strength for the wrong station, which is why another re-scan was necessary to fix it. Unfortunately, I do not like doing a re-scan unless I am actually getting a signal from all of my stations. Otherwise, it is impossible to get them all added to the guide. (Even when all of the stations are coming in, it can be very difficult to get the scan to find them all.) So, that is why it took me awhile to get around to fixing it. This is a rarely-used receiver, as I usually use my ViP receivers for OTA, anyway.

View attachment 145333

I get this too. Note the signal strength !!! And if I switch it to the live TV (sharing the same antenna with a splitter) the signal is just fine. Usually I am able to get the OTA signal back on dish by a channel change though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)