U935

Can you summarize your setup for those of us who haven't seen and/or don't remember what it is? Your pixelating Joey is on only MoCA, or only Ethernet, or both? Is the Hopper set to relay Internet connections? My tech set up my Joey's on both, and turned off the H3 forwarding feature.
One H3 with Dish-supplied dual tuner dongle, 3 wired (coax) Joey 3.0s all MoCA (linked, strong) and net connection is relayed. Problem started with our OTA antenna install and removing the dongle immediately stops the issue (mentioned by others elsewhere in this forum) but then the Hopper wants to reboot anyway.

Last truck roll regarding this was about a year ago; it happened while he was here. He ran diagnostics, told me it was a software issue that Dish was aware of and that there was nothing he could do. I took him at his word and still do.

I may chime in about this more than others do but I am certainly not the only person here experiencing this issue.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Unless you change the chip set in the Hopper3 you will not get 4K YouTube on the Hopper3. ...
Okay, I'll go ahead and do that. Which chip do you recommend? (Sorry, you kind of made it sound like that was a change we could do ourselves.) If Dish actually did that, they would still have to change the model number for the new Hopper 3's, to distinguish them from the old Hopper 3's with the old chip set. It probably wouldn't be enough of a change to warrant calling it a Hopper 4. Maybe Hopper 3-2?

... It is a hardware restriction.
Alternatively, maybe they could come up with some accessory for this purpose, similar to a Hopper Snap. It would add whatever new chips and additional memory that may be necessary in order for the older Hoppers to support the new apps.

Unless you change the chip set in the Hopper3 you will not get 4K YouTube on the Hopper3. It is a hardware restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Thanks, I did not know that. I thought the Hopper was already set up to handle 4K, even in the apps.

One H3 with Dish-supplied dual tuner dongle, 3 wired (coax) Joey 3.0s all MoCA (linked, strong) and net connection is relayed. Problem started with our OTA antenna install and removing the dongle immediately stops the issue (mentioned by others elsewhere in this forum) but then the Hopper wants to reboot anyway.
The reboot is necessary to remove the OTA channels from the guide, since the dongle is no longer connected. This prevents any attempt to tune to those channels when the tuner is no longer there. In other words, the software was not set up to accommodate a temporary removal of the dongle in order to fix another issue. It assumes that you are removing the OTA tuners "permanently."

One H3 with Dish-supplied dual tuner dongle, 3 wired (coax) Joey 3.0s all MoCA (linked, strong) and net connection is relayed. Problem started with our OTA antenna install and removing the dongle immediately stops the issue...

I persist in my suspicion that there are potentially two routes to send video to your Joeys (MoCA and Ethernet), and the Hopper gets confused as to which one it is supposed to use. Is there any chance you can hardwire the Ethernet on your Joey, unplug the MoCA connection, and turn off forwarding? Yes, I understand this should not be necessary. But it's something to try.

Another easier thing to try is just to turn off forwarding. Does anybody know how much Joey functionality is lost if you do that? I think the Hopper and Joeys can function without an Internet connection, but I am not positive about that either.

I'm another one with the same issue... pixellation on the Joey. I have a Hopper 3 and one Joey. And a dual OTA tuner on the Hopper. Only fix is to reboot the Hopper... rebooting the Joey does nothing. I do believe it is the OTA dongle getting too warm. I turned it on its side over the weekend (had to unplug it and reboot as described above) in the hopes that it will allow more cooling. So far so good, but its only Monday.

The reboot is necessary to remove the OTA channels from the guide, since the dongle is no longer connected. This prevents any attempt to tune to those channels when the tuner is no longer there. In other words, the software was not set up to accommodate a temporary removal of the dongle in order to fix another issue. It assumes that you are removing the OTA tuners "permanently."
Oh this I know...guess it was a poorly veiled attempt at sarcasm since rebooting the Hopper is the only way to fix this issue right now and either way the Hopper needs to be rebooted

Yep... I've been having the same Joey pixelating issue for a few months. I didn't know it was related to the OTA dongle until reading DJ's post.
I'm another one with the same issue... pixellation on the Joey. I have a Hopper 3 and one Joey. And a dual OTA tuner on the Hopper. Only fix is to reboot the Hopper... rebooting the Joey does nothing. I do believe it is the OTA dongle getting too warm. I turned it on its side over the weekend (had to unplug it and reboot as described above) in the hopes that it will allow more cooling. So far so good, but its only Monday.
Are you both using the same model of dual-tuner OTA dongle? (The black Lark adapter supplied by Dish, with the attached USB cable.) I am wondering if this issue is specific to that model, or if the older Hauppauge dual-tuner adapter (the one with the detachable USB cable) has the same issue.

Since this update I got on the 7th, we have ota recordings now with sound fluctuations like they are under water talking. Thank goodness I back up all my recordings on my Tablo. It has performed flawlessly for me the last 2 years I've had it. Can't say the same about my DISH dvrs.
Long history of dvr problems and bugs going back to 99 and my first dishplayer/webtv receiver. My wife asked me why DISH doesn't test their software out before they release it and I told her they do . They test it on their customers and then based on our complaints they make more changes and tweaks to fix something they broke in the software download.

Since this update I got on the 7th, we have ota recordings now with sound fluctuations like they are under water talking.

I am guessing that was a coincidence with channels being repacked onto one carrier and statistical multiplexing out the wazoo. Is the problem channel one of those that has more subchannels than it used to? I'm seeing quite a few changes here in the Washington DC area.

Since this update I got on the 7th, we have ota recordings now with sound fluctuations like they are under water talking. Thank goodness I back up all my recordings on my Tablo. It has performed flawlessly for me the last 2 years I've had it. Can't say the same about my DISH dvrs.
Long history of dvr problems and bugs going back to 99 and my first dishplayer/webtv receiver. My wife asked me why DISH doesn't test their software out before they release it and I told her they do . They test it on their customers and then based on our complaints they make more changes and tweaks to fix something they broke in the software download.
I'll check this on mine tonight as I have not noticed any problems with this new update.

Thanks for trying.

It will prove that you have a magic hub. What happens when you power your magic hub? Does the 6TB disk disappear?

I did it last night, I plugged in the power adapter and restarted the Hopper. The 2TB drive did not come online.
So unplug those power adapters to your hubs!

I did it last night, I plugged in the power adapter and restarted the Hopper. The 2TB drive did not come online.
So unplug those power adapters to your hubs!

Well, that's interesting. When I plug my earlier 1.5TB disk in, and then reboot the Hopper, that's the only disk that shows up. In other words, the 6TB disk becomes invisible. I always suspected you had a magic hub!

I cannot unplug my hub because it's embedded in the 6TB enclosure. I may have an unpowered hub lying around. Do you think that would work? I guess I could buy the exact model of your powered hub and see what happens...

Well, that's interesting. When I plug my earlier 1.5TB disk in, and then reboot the Hopper, that's the only disk that shows up. In other words, the 6TB disk becomes invisible. I always suspected you had a magic hub!

I cannot unplug my hub because it's embedded in the 6TB enclosure. I may have an unpowered hub lying around. Do you think that would work? I guess I could buy the exact model of your powered hub and see what happens...

Yeah, if you have an old non-powered unintelligent hub laying around try that. Bypass the internal hub in your 6TB and plug both in. If it still doesn't show up, swap the plugs on the hub. I found that if the 6TB drive is closest to the output connector (not sure it put's it last or first in the chain, but I think it's first as it always shows up as external drive 1) then it shows up. If I swap the plugs around, I get the same failure mode you are seeing.

Let me know. I posted the link to the one I got from Amazon, they don't sell that exact model anymore but they point you to another one that looks like it's the same, just configured differently.

Oh, and make sure all the switches, except the ones that you have the EHD's plugged into are turned off.

Well, I finally got around to trying my unpowered USB 3 hub with my 6 TB Seagate EHD and my 2 TB Seagate EHD connected both at the same time. When I rebooted, neither one showed up!

I’m trying connecting them one at a time through the USB 3 hub. As far as I can tell, one at a time is fine (except the 6 TB doesn’t show up after reboot if it’s connected through this hub).

It may be the couple of extra GB that my two drives present that throws it over the limit inside the Hopper 3 and why you can do it and others can’t get it to work.

• Sad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)