Ugrading Boxes - Dish - as lease

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpgny9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
A couple of weeks ago, I contacted Directv to see about upgrading my HD revceiver to the TIVO HDDVR. They really helped me out with that and in addition, they offered to upgrade my older boxes (I have 6 on my account). Only 3 they offered to replace - 2 older regular receivers and my h10 HD receiver to the H20. THey also offered to replace my dish from the mlti-sat dish I have to the new 5 LNB dish.

My question is, Is it worth it to get all these upgrades now (all the upgraded equipment will be under the lease program, I wouldnt own the new boxes/dish)? I live in New York City and I get all my HD locals already with the current set up I have. I know that I will eventually need the 5 lnb dish, but I heard that is years away. Chances are, I will be in a different house in a couple of years. I dont want to loose the chance to get the equipment free if its going to cost me $ when I do have to change to the new dish type.

Thanks

cpgny9 said:
A couple of weeks ago, I contacted Directv to see about upgrading my HD revceiver to the TIVO HDDVR. They really helped me out with that and in addition, they offered to upgrade my older boxes (I have 6 on my account). Only 3 they offered to replace - 2 older regular receivers and my h10 HD receiver to the H20. THey also offered to replace my dish from the mlti-sat dish I have to the new 5 LNB dish.

My question is, Is it worth it to get all these upgrades now (all the upgraded equipment will be under the lease program, I wouldnt own the new boxes/dish)? I live in New York City and I get all my HD locals already with the current set up I have. I know that I will eventually need the 5 lnb dish, but I heard that is years away. Chances are, I will be in a different house in a couple of years. I dont want to loose the chance to get the equipment free if its going to cost me $ when I do have to change to the new dish type.

Thanks
one thing i will bet is that you will own the dish, directv will not come to take the dish down, as for other ownership issues stay tunes as i predict these rules will change a few times in the next few months

If they are promising all of this free of charge, I'd say go for it, there is no additional fee for equipment leasing other then the up front charges, the normal mirroring fee is now the lease fee.

If they want to charge you additional, you might want to wait as suggested to see if the lease program changes. In it's current state there are issues with it that can be found in the stickies at the top of the page.

It sounds like you're already getting the HD-DVR and now they're making you a deal on other boxes. Is that correct? So you probably had to agree to a 24 month commitment already. I'd say you might as well get what else you can right now. Otherwise if you get something a year from now, they'll start your commitment over again. Plus once you're under the commitment, you probably won't have as much bargaining power with them because they'll know you're stuck with them for a while. YMMV

-JustBob

Wow, you are getting a FREE upgrade from the HD to a HD DVR??? What did you say? How did you do it? I desperatly need to know. I called yesterday and was told to upgrade my HD to a HD DVR I would have to pay the $499 lease still. What number did you call and did you ask specifically to upgrade for free? One more thing, how long have you had the HD reciever and what model is it? Do you own your HD reciever, and if so are they going to take it from you in exchange for the HD DVR? I would appreciate answers to all of these questions very much from ANYONE who can help.

Last edited:
lol.. I know, Im a bit over my head with trying to get the deal I want. Im sure most of us have been in such a situation before though. Just looking for any ways to get this deal done. Im all over the place on the forum this week.

Well, he said they would "Replace" them. I would think that means he is getting them FREE. Of course he could get them replaced by purchasing new ones, that is nno big deal, and if they are helping him out by replacing them I think he means they will be free.

Per hsi post they offered to replace other receivers he owned, not give him a DVR. Of course the OP never responded back to his question so I guess we'll never know the specifics. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts