something fishy going on with dtvs signal, older receivers and e-86s going bad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ricard2798

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Guys, dont take me wrong... i am a happy customer (sort of), but I am starting to get a little uneasy with some stuff I have been noticing. i will relay the facts and then give my suspicions.

1- fact one, I started to loose some of my channels on my old e-86. At first I tried re-aligning the dish with no success. Primarily a couple of transponders were affected (some fo the channels affected where sprout and tood disney... yup i got kids).
I was going to call a tech to correct the issue, but i figured since new dish and mpg4 receivers were coming, I would wait.

2-Fact two. Other family members started to loose channles as well. We all have old DTV boxes, and we all live in Miami.

I figured, its most likely a coincidence or a regional issue that would be solved in a couple of days... I was wrong

3-Fact 3. I got a new Mpg 4 dish and receiver installed today (mpg 4 stream will come around april). The installer was kind enough to leave both dishes up (3lnb one, and the new 35 pounder). So now I can compare 2 kinds of dishes and 2 generations of Hd receivers.

4- I hook up both receivers to the new dish. The HD20 works like a charm, get signal strength of over 75 on all transponders and birds. the e-86 looses some channels (more thajnh when hooked top the old 3 lnb dish), and over a couple of hours period, I looses even more channels. Hard reset does not solve it either (so mjuch for leak guide syndrome). I change plugs and cables on all posible combinations, adn even realign the new dish myself (yup all this today) and no luck. Even worse, a bit later, I cant even get the proigram guide to update, and I cant get any programing. My e-86 has jsut become useless!!!

At this point i start reading about the guide leak issues with old e-86 the statements that the e-86 heat build up fry them over time in a gradual manner. and figure, well.. mine just broke. I check signal meters and signal is abysmal (most below 50), yet ther other box has high signal. YET, I try something bold, lets hook the old e86 to the old dish again to see if it actually broke. The result, it works like before, some channels missing, but at least it works 90% much better than with the larger dish.

NOW THIS IS THE THEORY PART!!!

Theory one - old receivers are not very compatible with the new 35 pounder dish. If this is the case, some people will be in for a major upgrade if they try to upgrade to get the mpg4 stream. Since old boxes are not leased, you will need to buy new boxes and the old ones will become obsolete (now if this is not a strong selling point for the lease program, I dont know what is)

Theory two - I know this is a stretch, but since i am still loosing some channels using the old dish, yet no problems with the new hardware (large dish and hd20). And the fact that 2 other people are expiriencing the same thing I am, maybe direct tv is making their signal less compatible with older equipment. Again, this is a BIG stretch, but think about it, it would make sense. First new equipment purchases or leases (more revenue), and second, move people to the new lease structure (again more revenue and hardware control). I hope that f this is the case, people dont find proof, or else DTV will be in one consumer abuse lawsuit.

Theory three - I am full of it and just need to get better thigns to think about (hey, i said this is all speculation and theory)

Anyways, any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an old Sony circa 1996 still running 110% perfect in the garage.

A buddy in DFW has 1 MPEG4 receiver, 1 MPEG2 HD and 2 circa 2000 boxes all running in perfect harmony. I have seen it with my own eyes.

We already know that when national MPEG4 channels begin (that are not also broadcast in MPEG2) will usher us all into new hardware, thats been expected since the first announcement; so its never been a surprise or conspiracy.

The AT9 dish is only 32 lbs (including J-mount mast, dish surface, LNBs, arm and pole attachment) not 50lbs.

thanks for the weight correction, I will edit my post accordingly

id go with theory four!

that evil murdoch is using built in death rays to disable all the older IRDs so you HAVE to get new ones, and go into the lease program. LOL

Aw geez, the E-86s are famous for cooking themselves to death — and failing to maintain their guides properly.

They were pretty good for their day — but you needed to cool them to keep 'em running. I have one still in service — rarely used, as it is on my gaming system — but it still works.

I seriously doubt D* is up to anything, but rather that age is catching up to them...unlike the D10 I had that died just our of warranty.

Mike is right. The E86/DST3000/SR-HD5 are self contained toaster ovens that are failing with increasing frequency. A buddy of mine has had 3 D-10's fail, calling into question the quality of the newer IRDs.

Don't worry Richard, no Les Nesmond syndrome detected!

ricard2798 said:
1- fact one, I started to loose some of my channels on my old e-86. At first I tried re-aligning the dish with no success. Primarily a couple of transponders were affected (some fo the channels affected where sprout and tood disney... yup i got kids).

Same thing happened to mine. Kept getting weaker and weaker, loosing more and more channels all the time, also the volume would jump up real loud every so often. Still have it and use it for OTA channels, but the D* side of it is fried.

ricard2798 said:
Theory two - I know this is a stretch, but since i am still loosing some channels using the old dish, yet no problems with the new hardware (large dish and hd20). And the fact that 2 other people are expiriencing the same thing I am, maybe direct tv is making their signal less compatible with older equipment. Again, this is a BIG stretch, but think about it, it would make sense. First new equipment purchases or leases (more revenue), and second, move people to the new lease structure (again more revenue and hardware control). I hope that f this is the case, people dont find proof, or else DTV will be in one consumer abuse lawsuit.

I have 6 receivers at home. Since "upgrading" to the new dish 2 of the receivers have become hit and miss. These two receivers are my oldest units.....hmmmmmmm

Unless the intaller was an idiot that didn't ground the new dish, you old equipment is just dying of age. Never misunderestimate your ability to find patterns that don't exist.

OK, I will consider that my equipment MIGHT be dying of old age. (And so does the equipment of my brother in law, father in law and my aunt... ALL AT THE SAME TIME)... but ill consider it.

Still, it seems that the new dish MIGHT be relaying a weaker (or less compatible) signal with older receivers. So a word to the wise, when upgrading to the new dish, please monitor very carefully your overall channel performance, or else you might need to upgrade....err LEASE new equipment.

:)

ricard2798 said:
OK, I will consider that my equipment MIGHT be dying of old age. (And so does the equipment of my brother in law, father in law and my aunt... ALL AT THE SAME TIME)... but ill consider it.
:)

I am still on MPG2 equipment, but most of the reports I have seen people say their signals are higher with the H20, than previous receivers, especially with the OTA signals.

Count me in to one who lost channels with the E86. It was running very hot...but so is the H20 unit I replaced it with. I guess most of that heat is going to be nominal.

Anywho, I'm bugged that I forked out so much money for that box only to get a handful of HD channels for a few years.

ricard2798 said:
Guys, dont take me wrong... i am a happy customer (sort of), but I am starting to get a little uneasy with some stuff I have been noticing. i will relay the facts and then give my suspicions.

I was going to call a tech to correct the issue, but i figured since new dish and mpg4 receivers were coming, I would wait.

2-Fact two. Other family members started to loose channles as well. We all have old DTV boxes, and we all live in Miami.

I figured, its most likely a coincidence or a regional issue that would be solved in a couple of days... I was wrong

3-Fact 3. I got a new Mpg 4 dish and receiver installed today (mpg 4 stream will come around april). The installer was kind enough to leave both dishes up (3lnb one, and the new 35 pounder). So now I can compare 2 kinds of dishes and 2 generations of Hd receivers.

4- I hook up both receivers to the new dish. The HD20 works like a charm, get signal strength of over 75 on all transponders and birds. the e-86 looses some channels (more thajnh when hooked top the old 3 lnb dish), and over a couple of hours period, I looses even more channels. Hard reset does not solve it either (so mjuch for leak guide syndrome). I change plugs and cables on all posible combinations, adn even realign the new dish myself (yup all this today) and no luck. Even worse, a bit later, I cant even get the proigram guide to update, and I cant get any programing. My e-86 has jsut become useless!!!

At this point i start reading about the guide leak issues with old e-86 the statements that the e-86 heat build up fry them over time in a gradual manner. and figure, well.. mine just broke. I check signal meters and signal is abysmal (most below 50), yet ther other box has high signal. YET, I try something bold, lets hook the old e86 to the old dish again to see if it actually broke. The result, it works like before, some channels missing, but at least it works 90% much better than with the larger dish.

NOW THIS IS THE THEORY PART!!!

Theory one - old receivers are not very compatible with the new 35 pounder dish. If this is the case, some people will be in for a major upgrade if they try to upgrade to get the mpg4 stream. Since old boxes are not leased, you will need to buy new boxes and the old ones will become obsolete (now if this is not a strong selling point for the lease program, I dont know what is)

Theory three - I am full of it and just need to get better thigns to think about (hey, i said this is all speculation and theory)

Anyways, any feedback will be appreciated.

I do not have any Directv brand dishes on the roof. Everything goes through my T-90 Toroidal. I live in Florida as well.

About 90 days ago I started loosing channels on the E86. The Older RCA DTC100 continued to receive them like a champ.

I had heard that is a sign of the E86 giving up the ghost - especially if it has overheated which is common.

I just grabbed a second RCA DTC100 off ebay for $45 and said to heck with it.

E86 heat death shows up suddenly or gradually. You'll lose some or all OTA reception or intermittent. OR, you'll begin to lose some or all transponder reception.

I had 2 that died this way.

FWIW, the newest H20 model from Mexico (Model H20-100) runs very very cool. So cool, you can barely tell the thing is on by putting your hand on top. It also has taller rubber feet than the H20-600, to allow for better air circulation. Slow guide navigation problem with previous H20s has also been fixed. Guide in the new model H20s is lightning fast.

D* sent me a Mexican H20 to replace an ailing Korean H20 that I think suffered from heat stroke.

arxaw said:
E86 heat death shows up suddenly or gradually. You'll lose some or all OTA reception or intermittent. OR, you'll begin to lose some or all transponder reception.

I had 2 that died this way.

FWIW, the newest H20 model from Mexico (Model H20-100) runs very very cool. So cool, you can barely tell the thing is on by putting your hand on top. It also has taller rubber feet than the H20-600, to allow for better air circulation. Slow guide navigation problem with previous H20s has also been fixed. Guide in the new model H20s is lightning fast.

D* sent me a Mexican H20 to replace an ailing Korean H20 that I think suffered from heat stroke.

What firmware does your H20-100 have?

Setup info says:
SOFTWARE ORIGINAL: 003 020E B00000113
PAST UPGRADES: NONE
SCHEDULED UPGRADES: NONE

AFAIK it has not downloaded any upgrades, and pushing 02468 during reboot does not appear to force the H20-100 into a SW download like it does with the H20-600. YMMV.....

For some reason I feel the need to chime in here. I have a Sony SAT300 and I am getting some channel loss too. On my Sony I have all but lost channels 70, 71, 75, 78, and 79. 72, 73, 76, and all my ota channels come in fine. I have an H10 in another room which gets every channel perfectly. I ran the line from the H10 to the Sony, to see if there was a problem with one of the lines, and the SAT300 still doesn't get the other channels. It's pretty annoying to say the least! Anyone had any problems like this with a their Sony?

The HD SAT-200 and 300 are made by LG. The 200 is the same as the LS LSS-3200A, and nope, I do not have this issue. I also have the Zenith SAT HD-520 which is also made by LG, same as the Sony 200, also no issues. It could be just the death of you guy's particular receivers.

Last edited:
"The 200 is the same as the LS LSS-3200A"

The 300 is same as the 3200A is what I think you ment to say. I have an HTL-HD which is also the same and it's working fine also on all channels.

JSB - Sounds like the HD300 in question is dying, you should be able to send it out for repair.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)