UHD TV Deals

For many, buying UHD HDR now is probably jumping the gun (unless you really need to replace something). Waiting for the HDR standards to settle out could avoid having to upgrade soon. Assuming that the standard that everyone arrives at can (and will) be delivered in firmware is probably folly. At my last count, I saw five different HDR standards. CES revealed very little in terms of new home TV technology or even the direction it is heading.

TCL is by no means a newcomer to televisions. The company was founded in 1985 and is reported to be the second largest producer of televisions in the world (after Samsung).

Here's a rundown on the brand names from Consumer Reports (including which are licensed):

TV Brands Aren't Always What They Seem
There appear to be two HDR camps... HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I would think that if the new TV supports both that would future proof "jumping the gun" wouldn't you?

Thanks for the link. Checking it out now.

Crazy prices on 2017 LG OLEDs this week...
I don't know about that. The 55" B7 LG OLED was $1,499 during Black Friday, but everyone seems to have it for $100 more than that now. Maybe as we get closer to the actual Super Bowl prices will come down a few hundred bucks.

There appear to be two HDR camps... HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I would think that if the new TV supports both that would future proof "jumping the gun" wouldn't you?
You might not if you did a deeper dive into all the HDR schemes.

HDR is the TV buzzword for 2017—here's what you need to know

Samsung is promoting HDR10+ (with the help of Panasonic that doesn't offer TVs in the US) and there's HLG that is part of the ATSC 3.0 standard and is supposedly compatible with non-HDR TVs (think of a HDR sub-carrier much like stereo added to FM audio). There's also a scheme that I haven't seen much about called Technicolor HDR.

While Dolby Vision is probably the best of all, there doesn't appear to be a lot of content out there so you have to look for what format the content is available in.

If you're a DIRECTV subscriber, it appears that they've cast their lot on HLG. I'm not sure what other pay TV services are using.

Until the carriers "settle out" on a variable HDR scheme (everything but HDR10), I'm not sure it is time to bite on HDR. Quite a while back I predicted that HDR would be the next VHS-vs-Betamax or HD-DVD-vs-Blu-ray format battle and it appears that the battle is only getting started and with a greater number of players.

Depending on how long you plan to keep your TV, there are other standards in play (such as surround sound and HDMI) that may also be important in the not-too-distant future.

If you're a DIRECTV subscriber, it appears that they've cast their lot on HLG. I'm not sure what other pay TV services are using.
I'm inferring from Scott's post that Dish has cast their lot with HDR10.

Are most of these HDR standards something that can be added to a UHD TV with a 12-bit panel via firmware? As in, if I buy a set without HLG, can the manufacturer add it later or do I need an all-new chipset to process the additional standard?

Buy one and enjoy it if you need it. If not wait. Can’t keep waiting for what might be either.
I have a couple of lower end 65in LG 4k’s that look much better than the 1080p sets they replaced and I have the high end 75in Sony too which blows the others away.

I’m watching the nfl game this morning in Las Vegas on the lower end 65in LG 4k I just bought a few days ago to replace a 55in 1080p set. Game looks amazing on it from cable and Grand Tour in 4k from Amazon looks just as great on it as it does on my sets in Oklahoma.

Waiting is a losing game! There is always something better around the corner.
2020 Olympics will be shot and broadcast in 8K...

Waiting is a losing game! There is always something better around the corner.
2020 Olympics will be shot and broadcast in 8K...
This isn't about something better around the corner. This is about choosing from among a number of existing choices and hoping that you chose correctly. NBC has been pretty tight-lipped compared to what they were talking two years ago and thus far, they're not saying who is going to offer the 2018 Olympics other than themselves and Comcast (presumably both through streaming).

If you can't get what you want to watch in the format you need, what's the point of jumping?

How are you planning on watching the 2018 Olympics in 4K?