Sony XBR75X940C

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Got my 940C in and mounted on Friday. I'll add my findings throughout the day. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with it. For now using Cinema Pro. Some adjustments to Brightness and contrast, but overall I can see how people would be happy out of the box. Looking at 1/8 for a full calibration.

Key Specs:

• Display Type: LED (Full Array w/Local Dimming
  • Native Panel Refresh Rate: 120Hz
  • Number of HDMI Inputs: 4
  • Number of USB Port(s): 3
  • Screen Size: 74.5 inches
  • Digital Tuner: Yes
  • HDR Support: Yes
  • HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2
  • 3D: Active (1080p)
Mounting:

I mounted the TV with the SnapAV SM-T-XL mount. While this is a great mount, it is not the best choice for the new Sonys because of their VESA pattern. While 400X300 which the Snap supports, the mounting holes are placed very low on the back of the TV. This caused the rails to be visible on the bottom. We had to drill a hole in the rails so they wouldn't be visible. The TV is also very bottom heavy because of the speakers which makes the TV want to pull down towards the wall. Got it working, but it was a pain. Very heavy set.

Set up:

Directv HR44, BDP-S7200 BD Player, ROKU4 all run into Yamaha CX-A5100 with High Speed HDMI cables using a Rotel 1095 five Channel Amp with XLR. Wharfedale Jade 7 L/C/R, Dual Sunfire HRS12 subs, and Axiom Surrounds.

Start Up/Out of the Box Settings:

Once turned on, it probably took 3-5 minutes to get to the Bouncing Droid shapes andnother 5 minutes there. Once warmed up , I was met with the update firmware screen. Probably took another 30-40 minutes to update the firmware. Success there.

Video: Initial picture settings was "Standard". Looked almost Vivid/Dynamic. Way to bright and oversaturated. Immediately went to Cinema Pro. Big difference. The average home consumer would probably be satisfied with it.

Audio: The TV itself has side mounted speakers. Watching TV early in the morning, I don't use the surround sound. Sound through the TVs speakers are some of the best I've ever heard. Realy rich and enveloping sound.

3D: Watched my first 3D movie in this set; Terminator Genisys. Absolutely stunning performance. Excellent picture with absoliutely ZERO crosstalk. First TV that's never had any crosstalk for me. Loved it.

Video: Post Calibration:

I am looking at January 8th for a full calibration. More after that.

20151221_044503.jpg 20151221_044523.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JRsTheMAN
Been going through standard and off motion flow. For TV viewing it seems to be working. Haven't tried with 24p Blu-ray.

S~

How do you like it so far? I'm currently looking at two TV's. The Sony XBR65950B unless there is a newer model like a 950C but I don't think so, or the Panasonic TC65AX900U. I haven't seen the Sony in person yet but I have seen the Panasonic and it's absolutely killer even with no HDR and I can get it for around $4000. I'm going to have to see the Sony in person first.

Absolutely love it. Just waiting to calibrate on the 15th. Even without calibration, picture is stunning with a few tweaks. The 950B won't support HDR. Just a warning.

S~

How do you like it so far? I'm currently looking at two TV's. The Sony XBR65950B unless there is a newer model like a 950C but I don't think so, or the Panasonic TC65AX900U. I haven't seen the Sony in person yet but I have seen the Panasonic and it's absolutely killer even with no HDR and I can get it for around $4000. I'm going to have to see the Sony in person first.
I believe the newer model is the 940C.

I'll have to take a look. I'm trying to find one without large speakers on the sides as I don't have the room for them and I'd never use them of course. I wasn't sure if the 950B had HDR or not but I knew the Panasonic doesn't. I might have to overlook it.

Absolutely love it. Just waiting to calibrate on the 15th. Even without calibration, picture is stunning with a few tweaks. The 950B won't support HDR. Just a warning.

S~

You will love it even more after the Cal if its anything like the 930C before and after.

You settled on Motion Flow settings? I'm using Standard for 1080i/60 and 1080p/24. It's supposed to be 600 lines of motion rez and I can see it help on scrolling patterns. On 60hz I dont really see SOE at all, and on 24hz there is some smoothing, but I kinda like the reduced judder. Using Smooth it's overkill on 24hz IMO. I tried Smooth on the San Andreas blu-ray and it was WHOA, I had to turn it back down.

I decided to keep it off. There are a few horrible channels that are bad with their movies, but I don't watch them that often.

Gotcha. I think the only reason I like Standard vs True Cinema/Off is I subconsciously prefer a little SOE look. Something about the clean movement. Smooth is almost obscene at times on 24hz though.

When using motion scrolling patterns, Standard stopped a lot of double imaging True Cinema had. Id guess Im just removing some of the inherent 24hz judder.

When you watch 60hz 720 and 1080p stuff on youtube, its a little crazy looking too. I guess we grow up used to one thing.

If it is anything like my 930C in expert 1 color temp was, you will benefit.

I should have Chad back around March to experiment with a Rec 709 mode and a mode for UHD disc.

Wow, Wow, Wow. It was really good before. Robert had zero problems. His final comment was you could use this for production, and I want one now.

S~

We also watched a bunch of UHD through the ROKU 4. We talked about the "red push". He said it was not there. Everything he saw he said matched what he saw in the production rooms.

Good.

Did he do a rec 709 cal only, or did you mess with any of the rec 2020 stuff for UHD/P3/HDR?

I talked to Chad yesterday and he has been soaking it in, will make the early March date hopefully.

Think Im gonna get a SR6010 for my preamp from AVS soon.

Right now 709. The advanced patterns are still being worked on, so we'll do it later. He said everything in his experience tracks well when going into UHD modes. He does have some on a USB stick, but there is some issue with the Sony reading them off a USB drive.

S~

Good to know when the display detects it the internal processing it is doing looks nice.

Im not sure they will decide to cal HDR yet, and I think much of the menu is locked out when you go into HDR mode.

Chad was thinking of trying to cal a 2020 mode for UHD and a 709 mode for everything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts