UHF remote not working

aviation76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
DFW, TX
Hello, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

I performed a cursory search on this site and was not able to find any similar issues. My parents have a ViP 722k receiver. They have two TVs in their house linked to their DVR. The primary TV and receiver are downstairs and the downstairs remote is linked via IR. The other TV is upstairs in the bedroom, utilizing a 21.0 remote with a UHF link to the receiver downstairs. The upstairs UHF remote is unable to communicate to the receiver downstairs. It was working like a champ for years with no issues. They have tried changing out the batteries with a fresh set and reset (unplugged) their receiver to no avail. My thoughts are that there might be a new RF source interfering with the signal...but there are not any new devices introduced in the home recently. Or the UHF remote is no longer functioning properly and they may need a new one.

Would changing the remote address help? I attempted to change the address, however, the remote is unable to communicate with the receiver. Any other troubleshooting attempts I can try before calling DISH tech support?

Thanks in advance!

I performed a cursory search on this site and was not able to find any similar issues. My parents have a ViP 722k receiver. They have two TVs in their house linked to their DVR. The primary TV and receiver are downstairs and the downstairs remote is linked via IR. The other TV is upstairs in the bedroom, utilizing a 21.0 remote with a UHF link to the receiver downstairs. The upstairs UHF remote is unable to communicate to the receiver downstairs. It was working like a champ for years with no issues. They have tried changing out the batteries with a fresh set and reset (unplugged) their receiver to no avail. My thoughts are that there might be a new RF source interfering with the signal...but there are not any new devices introduced in the home recently. Or the UHF remote is no longer functioning properly and they may need a new one.

Would changing the remote address help? I attempted to change the address, however, the remote is unable to communicate with the receiver. Any other troubleshooting attempts I can try before calling DISH tech support?

Thanks in advance!
DISH tech support is a free call, if the remote is bad you might get a free 21.0.

Thanks in advance!
It's been a while since I had my 722k. Actually. about five years. So, please excuse me for being rusty and going with the basics. Did you check the antenna on the back of the receiver? My receiver died before the UHF remote antenna, and I have since been on the Hopper 1, but a friend with Dish told me a while back about that being his problem. If not, contact Dish. Remotes are a quick replacement.

Thanks in advance!

When you changed the remote address did you change the receiver address too? Here is procedure if you need it. In the section that says "Why won't my remote work with my DISH receiver?", click the link.

20.0/20.1 Remote Control Overview | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

When you changed the remote address did you change the receiver address too? Here is procedure if you need it. In the section that says "Why won't my remote work with my DISH receiver?", click the link.

20.0/20.1 Remote Control Overview | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support
I came across these instructions during my search. I was not able to change the remote or receiver address via the disabled UHF remote. I am going to call DISH tech support for a remote replacement. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's been a while since I had my 722k. Actually. about five years. So, please excuse me for being rusty and going with the basics. Did you check the antenna on the back of the receiver? My receiver died before the UHF remote antenna, and I have since been on the Hopper 1, but a friend with Dish told me a while back about that being his problem. If not, contact Dish. Remotes are a quick replacement.
I did. No dice. Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: The Fat Man
Great.

You can also extend the UHF remote antenna with a piece of coax cable.

You can even use a 10db amplifier on the remote antenna input.

You can even diplex it back through the tv 2 modulated feed. I don’t like this method due to the loss In uhf signal back to the receiver.

There is even a kit to convert Tv 2 to IR, which only works if the cable is a home run to Tv 2

Great.

You can also extend the UHF remote antenna with a piece of coax cable.

You can even use a 10db amplifier on the remote antenna input.

You can even diplex it back through the tv 2 modulated feed. I don’t like this method due to the loss In uhf signal back to the receiver.

There is even a kit to convert Tv 2 to IR, which only works if the cable is a home run to Tv 2
Thanks, Claude! I will save this for later.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)