Ummmmm...

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Why do I have a channel that seems to consist entirely of the words "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE A DISH 500" in front of a blue background, with elevator music playing in the background?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Given the low bandwidth of these slates, it puzzles me that we don't have a full compliment of these "channels".

So CSR's can verify what sats you can see. Congrates you have at least one.

What he said (we call em "test" channels even though they don't do anything). I always found it easier to check sats on in the check switch screen.

Congratulations! You are pointed at the 110° Orbital Location

Cool. Is 110 degrees (Couldn't find the appropriate place on the keyboard to get a "degrees" symbol) the location of the eastern arc satellite that everyone talks about here on the forum? Or does it have some other significance?

Eastern Arc consists of satellites 61.5/72.7/77

Western Arc consists of 110/119/129

Not really any significance I can point out to you other than different locations in the sky, and channel carriage (between the satellites that is).

This channel is really a left over concept from when Dish went from 119 only to 110/119. It was a big deal since you could then get the top AT package (I forgot what number they were counting back then, now it is AT250). 119 only carried the first 2 tiers. Later local channels appeared on 110 until they finally started getting spot beam satellites everywhere.

It is a very important screen to verify what sats one is looking at, especially for the WA 129 (if people say that seem to be missing a bunch of HD channels or don't get their LIL's) and internationals and some LIL's at 118. Many installers use it to confirm the results of the check switch that they are indeed getting video and audio from that sat. However. as MattG said, the check switch is what will really tell all and technically confirm sat positions, but the slate channels will confirm real world video and audio from those satellites.

Congrats Dish 500 means you have the standard (no longer just 119) WA standard definition install.

What it is really funny is when they name the channel something like "What's on Dish?" When one is new, that title will fool you:).

What he said (we call em "test" channels even though they don't do anything). I always found it easier to check sats on in the check switch screen.

Yea, but you know how difficult it is for some people to walk them through the menus to get to the switch test screen. Its easier to have them go to channel 9900 or whatever to verify it.

There are alot of customers out there that never use the guide, or have a DVR and have never recorded anything. You can show them 100 times, but they just don't want to learn

The degree symbol on a PC ---Press and hold the ALT key while at the same time press the 248 on the number key pad (not the numbers above the letters)

ALT+248 = °
ALT+0176 also =°
Not to be confused with ALT+0186 = º (°º)
On a mac press and hold the ALT key while pressing the number zero on the numbers above the letters (not the key pad on the side).

This is not to be confused with

The degree symbol on a PC ---Press and hold the ALT key while at the same time press the 248 on the number key pad (not the numbers above the letters)

ALT+248 = °
ALT+0176 also =°
Not to be confused with ALT+0186 = º (°º)
On a mac press and hold the ALT key while pressing the number zero on the numbers above the letters (not the key pad on the side).

This is not to be confused with

° It worked. Never knew that.

Originally anything other than 119 had one of those screens
9900-110
9901-129
9902-61.5
9903-118.7...use to be 105 until Dish cleaned that off
9904-use to be 148 until the sat blew up
9905-121

119,72 and 77 never had one of those slates

Hah, never thought people would be so fascinated by my use of the "°" symbol :D .

I think 119, 72.7 & 77 deserve a "Congratulations!" as well though :( .

DirecTV has these channels as well. Actually, they have two per satellite for even/odd TPs. It's much easier for a tech on the phone to get a customer to turn to channel XYZ and describe what's on the screen than trying to navigate menus and run a switch test remotely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts