Unable to install new 5 LNB, what now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flipper2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
South Florida
After waiting 3 weeks for my appointment, the mastec tech arrived today to install the new 5 lnb dish. He immediately said that new dish wont work because of the placement. I currently have a 3 lnb dish with a H20, HDVR2, and HD-250. I live in a townhouse and the placement of my current dish is above the trees in the area in the backyard. (there is no way to get these removed; hoa hell). The installer said the new dish is much bigger and he would need to move the location of the dish lower because the dish would hit the the top of the house framing if he mounted in same spot. But by lowering it to allow for the space, it doesnt clear the trees in the way. He said he wont install it because he knows there are going to be service calls and he will have to keep coming back. I understand what he is saying so im not arguing that point. I called Directv and asked them when the new slimline dishes will be available and they 3-6 more months, anotherwards, they dont know. Kind of upset because after waiting for 6 months to get the new dish in south florida (now that there are locals), and i cant get it.

PS. Not really caring about the locals since i still can use my OTA antenna for hd, but i was looking forward to the programming on channel 96 of the Marlins games that covered by the local spotbeam.

Anyone know for definitive on the arrival time for the Slimline?

I would see if you could find another installer to confirm that. Having the PhaseIII already, gives me doubt that you CAN'T be installed.

flipper2001 said:
After waiting 3 weeks for my appointment, the mastec tech arrived today to install the new 5 lnb dish. He immediately said that new dish wont work because of the placement. I currently have a 3 lnb dish with a H20, HDVR2, and HD-250. I live in a townhouse and the placement of my current dish is above the trees in the area in the backyard. (there is no way to get these removed; hoa hell). The installer said the new dish is much bigger and he would need to move the location of the dish lower because the dish would hit the the top of the house framing if he mounted in same spot. But by lowering it to allow for the space, it doesnt clear the trees in the way. He said he wont install it because he knows there are going to be service calls and he will have to keep coming back. I understand what he is saying so im not arguing that point. I called Directv and asked them when the new slimline dishes will be available and they 3-6 more months, anotherwards, they dont know. Kind of upset because after waiting for 6 months to get the new dish in south florida (now that there are locals), and i cant get it.

PS. Not really caring about the locals since i still can use my OTA antenna for hd, but i was looking forward to the programming on channel 96 of the Marlins games that covered by the local spotbeam.

Anyone know for definitive on the arrival time for the Slimline?

I live in Oakland Park, and have had problems with Mastec. I actually had to have them come out 5 times to finally get it right. Personally, I don't think they even like to install the AT9's. When the first tech that came out he said it couldn't be installed even though i had put in a 14' pole. He had to call his office and after 15 minutes on the phone he did install it. He used tie -wraps to hold the LNB arm on so they had to come out again and replace the entire dish ( long story ) Finally Directv had to request a senior tech come out and finish the job. Check out my post " AT9 installation nightmare to see pics ) I agree if you already have a 3LNB then I don't think there would be a problem. I also think your much better off getting your off air locals via a antenna - the picture quality is far superior to satellite. If I were you I would call Directv and request a senior tech come out. Also with Mastec, I had two tech's come out who couldn't speak or understand one word of English. They are a joke. Directv even had trouble calling them. They were supposed to have a district manager come out to look at the tie-wrap job, but nobody showed up. Even with all my troubles, Directv did make it up with refunds and credits, so I'm happy. Good luck - :hatsoff:

I had a similar experience last weekend. Installer came out on Saturday and told me the AT9 was too heavy to install on my condo roof in the conventional manner. He said it required a non-penetrating mount for the flat roof. I examined the assembly and agreed with this assessment. He added that as an independent contractor, more than half of his condo/apartment installs can't be completed because of this and that Directv knows about the issue.

Sure enough, when I called back in, various CRS admitted that this is a known problem.

Long story short, after not showing up for the subsequent appointment and showing up in the middle of a weekday while I was work (!), my going back to Dishnetwork only to have them miss THEIR appointment, Directv came yesterday for the install. A different installer, but he used the non-penetrating mount and made me write out a check for $108.25. I called Directv immediately afterward and asked for reimbursement of the amount, which they agreed to. I also asked for my Sunday Ticket promo to be upgraded to the Superfan pack at no charge and they agreed to that, as a good faith gesture.

So, after a lot of grief, I finally have my AT9 installed. Although they only put in 4LNBs -- there's a separate thread on that...

Anyway, the point is I think that Directv will "make good" if you insist.

Last edited:
clayface1000 said:
I had a similar experience last weekend. Installer came out on Saturday and told me the AT9 was too heavy to install on my condo roof in the conventional manner. He said it required a non-penetrating mount for the flat roof. I examined the assembly and agreed with this assessment. He added that as an independent contractor, more than half of his condo/apartment installs can't be completed because of this and that Directv knows about the issue.

Sure enough, when I called back in, various CRS admitted that this is a known problem.

Long story short, after not showing up for the subsequent appointment and showing up in the middle of a weekday while I was work (!), my going back to Dishnetwork only to have them miss THEIR appointment, Directv came yesterday for the install. A different installer, but he used the non-penetrating mount and made me write out a check for $108.25. I called Directv immediately afterward and asked for reimbursement of the amount, which they agreed to. I also asked for my Sunday Ticket promo to be upgraded to the Superfan pack at no charge and they agreed to that, as a good faith gesture.

So, after a lot of grief, I finally have my AT9 installed. Although they only put in 4LNBs -- there's a separate thread on that...

Anyway, the point is I think that Directv will "make good" if you insist.

It's not possible for them to put in 4 lnb's. Three are in one unit for the 99, 101, and 103 sats, and the other two are on a separate arm for 110 and 119.

Well to add to my storm from yday. Mastec called to find out if i was ok with the install for yesterday. I told them there was a problem, bla bla... Anyhow they are going to have another tech come out tommorow to get 2nd opinion.
Then they went through that i had to be home for the tech to look outside, after going back and forth they said i dont need to be there.

I did call Dtv yesterday but they said there isnt anything they can do if the installer says it isnt going to work.

But like i said, i dont care about the locals in HD, just want channel 96 for the baseball and Heat(later this year) games.

For what its worth; a 2nd, 3rd, or 100th tech all from the same company is not "another" or "separate" opinion. They will more than likely be pre-informed to say "yep, I can confirm it; no install possible here". You need a different, separate, independent opinion.

sigh, Just because somebody has los for a Phase 3 dish doesn't mean they can install a KaKu odu. The size of this and where you can mount the dish can mean a yes, or no. So before everyone jumps to the conclusion that it's a bad tech maybe we ought to see what the situation looks like. For all we know the tech could be correct and doesn't want to install something incorrectly. I have told many of people sorry you have line of sight but no place to mount the dish correctly, or safely.

grydlok said:
sigh, Just because somebody has los for a Phase 3 dish doesn't mean they can install a KaKu odu. The size of this and where you can mount the dish can mean a yes, or no. So before everyone jumps to the conclusion that it's a bad tech maybe we ought to see what the situation looks like. For all we know the tech could be correct and doesn't want to install something incorrectly. I have told many of people sorry you have line of sight but no place to mount the dish correctly, or safely.
Yes, but your only talking 2 degrees away for the 99 from the 101.
IF you can get the standard 101 and 110 then you obviously can get the 103.
In MOST instances you should be able to get all 5 if you can get the 3 lnb to work.

Seeing none of us are actually there, no one knows for sure, so all we can do is advise what Should be the case.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Yes, but your only talking 2 degrees away for the 99 from the 101.
IF you can get the standard 101 and 110 then you obviously can get the 103.
In MOST instances you should be able to get all 5 if you can get the 3 lnb to work.

Seeing none of us are actually there, no one knows for sure, so all we can do is advise what Should be the case.

Jimbo

Sometimes it isn't a line of sight issue. It more of a Hardware placement issue, the smaller AU2 can fit in places where the KAKU needs more realestate to be mounted on. Somepeople with slate, tile, and tin roofs sometimes will not have enough usable space to mount a dish on.

grydlok said:
Sometimes it isn't a line of sight issue. It more of a Hardware placement issue, the smaller AU2 can fit in places where the KAKU needs more realestate to be mounted on. Somepeople with slate, tile, and tin roofs sometimes will not have enough usable space to mount a dish on.
Good point,
I hadn't considered that, I just presumed that he was doing a same location swap out.

Jimbo

Proceeding with my story as i now have new info to add. Mastek called me on monday asking if the install was how I expected, since it didnt go, i obviously said no. They sent 2nd person out to get another opinion and this tech said its no problem and should work, he even wanted to install it right then (on tuesday) but i was leaving for business trip to orlando and didnt want to take a chance if he didnt install it right to not have any tv when i returned 3 days later. Anyhow I spoke to Mastek on Thursday and they scheduled me for 1-5pm today( sunday ). Around 1145am this morning directv called and said they are going to need to reschedule because thier tech didnt have a tall enough ladder. Obviously i went balastic because i have now wasted my entire morning. Amazingly, they happened to have another tech in the area who arrive at 2pm. He went and looked at the situation and said i would have a problem, i said what do i need to do to get this thing installed, he said remove the branches from "X" trees. I was going to do this but then he said he dont have all the supplies he needs because today is sunday and mastek is closed. I'm now rescheduled for 1st thing saturday.... and the beat goes on...

Also the same installer on Sunday said that each time it rains in south florida (every day) i will lose signal because florida is a low elevation with the new dish. Heck , i thought the new dish was going to improve this stuff. But the tech told me it was going to be much much worse now.

flipper2001 said:
Well to add to my storm from yday. Mastec called to find out if i was ok with the install for yesterday. I told them there was a problem, bla bla... Anyhow they are going to have another tech come out tommorow to get 2nd opinion.
Then they went through that i had to be home for the tech to look outside, after going back and forth they said i dont need to be there.

I did call Dtv yesterday but they said there isnt anything they can do if the installer says it isnt going to work.

But like i said, i dont care about the locals in HD, just want channel 96 for the baseball and Heat(later this year) games.

I had a very similar experience with Bruister and Associates. They don't give a S$*it.
One DirecTV CSR told me they get a fee for just showing up so they will keep sending people out to tell you no and then move on to an easy job. Call a local installer and it will cost you some bucks but if they tell you no that it probably isn't doable. I'm holding on to my 3LNB dish until they offer something in my area. I get everything I can right now with the phase III.

flipper2001 said:
Also the same installer on Sunday said that each time it rains in south florida (every day) i will lose signal because florida is a low elevation with the new dish. Heck , i thought the new dish was going to improve this stuff. But the tech told me it was going to be much much worse now.

I can believe that ! I live in Oakland Park and just upgraded to the 5LNB and I loose my signal alot more than with the 3LNB. With the 3LNB i probally lost my signal3 times a year, but with the new dish I've already beaten that record. :up

flipper2001 said:

haha now that one is funny.

Well here the latest with my isssue. Believe it or not, someone from here PM me and told me to call him and that he was a mastek lead tech. We talked and he is going to come out tommorow morning. He said some techs are very lazy and dont want to spend any time doing stuff to resolve a problem. I think this will go good. I did cut down the tree (over a 2 day period, laff) that they said might have been a problem so i dont think anything will go wrong. I will post back tommorow and advise of how it went and the tech!

Just in case anyone is following this, here is the conclusion. The lead tek from Masteck came out to my house yesterday morning and put up the new dish. No problems, working perfectly. Except for the quality issue which I will address in a seperate post. But perfect installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)