Unable to program dish remote to tv can anyone help?

jerzstyle00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
dallas,tx
The dish installer was unable to program the dish remote to my westinghouse 40'' TV during installation.I looked over the book he left and used all the program codes and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Before I do that, does my t.v need a tuner so I may program the remote?Just asking because my tv does not have one.

Don't believe that should matter if you have a tuner or not as long as it's connected properly with A/V connections,S-Video connection,or Component connections,now if your trying to pickup an RF channel 3 hookup with out a tuner then you would have a problem definitely.

There are some TVs that can't be programmed to some Dish remotes. Here are the steps to do a code search.

Attachments

• Remote to run TV001.jpg
    Remote to run TV001.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 510
I got a new HK AVR today and want to program the codes into my DISH remote.
I've done this before for another AVR, but I must be tired because I can't figure out how to enter the codes.
I can't remember, do I just punch in the numbers or is there a button I hold down first.
I'm using AUX and the manual says punch 2 before adding the code.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,
Bob

See manual. Get to the System Info page with Menu+Menu. Hold down the TV button until all light up. Punch an address 1 (not good except for fixed programed IR remotes) to 16 or more. Press # then Record. AFAIK and IIRC. The address should change in the display.
-Ken

Thanks, KKlare.
As I said, I use AUX to turn off and on my AVR.
Holding down the AUX for a couple of second lights everything up the I punched 2 as the manual says then the codes.
Then #, then Record.
Worked like a charm, but it will turn ON the AVR but it won't turn it OFF.

Do you have any idea why it will respond to ON buy not OFF?

Another tact?

Not quite an answer to your question, but have you considered something like the Logitech Harmony remote? That's what I use, and I don't have to fool with codepages any more. In the years I've been using it, I've had trouble with exactly one device, and I've pretty much gotten that beaten into submissions.

The online update feature is nice - no codepage hunting!:)

I got a new HK AVR today and want to program the codes into my DISH remote.
I've done this before for another AVR, but I must be tired because I can't figure out how to enter the codes.
I can't remember, do I just punch in the numbers or is there a button I hold down first.
I'm using AUX and the manual says punch 2 before adding the code.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,
Bob

press and HOLD the AUX button until all light up....Release the AUX button...
press "2" then the htree digit code...the AUX button will flash three times...
Then press the POWER button..If the devices truns off, the code is found.
If not, find the next code and repeat the above steps..

The dish installer was unable to program the dish remote to my westinghouse 40'' TV during installation.I looked over the book he left and used all the program codes and still no luck. Any suggestions?
Some TV's are simply not compatible with Dish remotes. Westinghouse TV's are particularly a PITA.....

Thanks, KKlare.
As I said, I use AUX to turn off and on my AVR.
Holding down the AUX for a couple of second lights everything up the I punched 2 as the manual says then the codes.
Then #, then Record.
Worked like a charm, but it will turn ON the AVR but it won't turn it OFF.

Do you have any idea why it will respond to ON buy not OFF?
Some devices have separate codes for ON and OFF. With a programmable remote you would have to use 2 "buttons" to code both. With fixed program remotes like all Dish before the 20/21 you have no ability to specify any other codes, but for what it works with it doesn't require any setup except the device code.

For the TV setting you only gain on/off, volume, and channel while doing using sat. mode and TV/video when in TV mode.
-Ken

Ken,

Thanks again. You hit the nail on the head.
After posting, I realized that the HK remote has an On and an Off button, so I guess the code will only work the On part.

I've tried to get the HK remote to "learn" the functions of the Dish remote which is the way I really want to go. Everything works except the Up/Down and Sideways arrows making scrolling through the guide impossible.

dishcomm, thanks for the instructions, too.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)