Unable to transfer 1.2TB of dish dvr movies from a Seagate EHD to to a new WD external powered hard drive using Mac.

Mike Ekiss

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
This will sound convoluted but I have been trying to recover these movies for 6 months. Here goes. 1 year ago I went from vip722 to hopper3. I brought my EHD over and it was just ok. Maybe a little erratic. Then that old Seagate died and Seagate transfered (recovered) to a new 5tb drive. Hopper won’t read and wants to format. So I bought a new 3tb EHD (WD) and tried to put the data on through my Mac. Formatted to exfat, etc. unable to recover data.
I can’t even get the old vip 722 to format the new EHD.
I know what dish says but they are wrong.
All I want is to see these old movies stuck on a EHD. (It is usb powered unfortunately) the new WD is Ext powered.

A long time ago I had an issue with an EHD that was connected to my old 722. I don't remember the exact procedure but I had to copy all the files from the original drive using Linux, it would not work otherwise at the time.

SO what does Dish say that you think is wrong?
They say that anything recorded with the vip722 cannot be seen on Hopper3. That’s as far as we get. They hang up.
They are wrong because it used to work for me b4 old EHD died. It died because it fell a few times on RV when we used to travel.
Also I have read on these old forums that it can be done. (Viewed).
This was the 2nd time this happened.years b4 I lost a whole library because of a wounded 722. So this recovered Seagate has about 4 years worth.

also I guess I could look for someone with Linux capability but that might be hard to do.

by the way, the recovered data Seagate drive is formatted for Mac OS journaled. Recovery center did that.

A long time ago I had an issue with an EHD that was connected to my old 722. I don't remember the exact procedure but I had to copy all the files from the original drive using Linux, it would not work otherwise at the time.
Does anybody know why my old vip 722 (without currentsubscription) won’t recognize or even ask to format a ny of these EHD’s?

1. Start by letting the Hopper format your new EHD and put your account and cryptographic keys on it.
  2. The file system will be ext3, not ex-FAT. If that is changed, then I didn't realize it.
  3. All files and folders must be transferred as root, or chown'd to root:root.
  4. Don't mess with the first dinky partition. Only transfer entire folders from the old disk to the new on the subsequent 500GB(?) partitions.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They say that anything recorded with the vip722 cannot be seen on Hopper3. That’s as far as we get. They hang up.
They are wrong because it used to work for me b4 old EHD died. It died because it fell a few times on RV when we used to travel.
Also I have read on these old forums that it can be done. (Viewed).
This was the 2nd time this happened.years b4 I lost a whole library because of a wounded 722. So this recovered Seagate has about 4 years worth.

also I guess I could look for someone with Linux capability but that might be hard to do.

by the way, the recovered data Seagate drive is formatted for Mac OS journaled. Recovery center did that.

You may be able to google the procedure to copy Dish EHD files from one drive to another, that is what I did when I had issue with mine. I ended up booting my old iMac into Linux to do the transfer from one drive to another (googled that as well). Good luck.

It is blatantly untrue that the Hopper will not recognize 722 DVR files, I have a bunch of EHD's from my old 722 that were recognized by my Hopper. Some of them I had to make multiple tries, and resetting the receiver in the process but I think there are only 1 or 2 (out of 8 or 9 drives) that have not been recognized.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
  1. Start by letting the Hopper format your new EHD and put your account and cryptographic keys on it.
  2. The file system will be ext3, not ex-FAT. If that is changed, then I didn't realize it.
  3. All files and folders must be transferred as root, or chown'd to root:root.
  4. Don't mess with the first dinkys partition. Only transfer entire folders from the old disk to the new on the subsequent 500GB(?) partitions.
This is a little over my head, but when i plug the dish formatted EHD into mac i get a big red page in disk management. Files do not show up. Only can erase on disk first aid. Then you can format but only options are exfat, dos files, mac os journaled, and one other possibility.
No linux.
I can restore from the seagate ehd but but takes a day to do this.
Then i plug in to hopper and it wants to format. Only yes or no.

This is a little over my head, but when i plug the dish formatted EHD into mac i get a big red page in disk management.

There is probably a way to do this on a Mac, but I don't know what that might be. I used my favorite Linux distribution and it was easy. When I plugged in my 1.5TB EHD, up popped 4 differnent ext3 partitions. One was dinky, and the other 3 were approximately 500GB each. I just dragged/dropped from old folders to empty new folders.

Do not let the Mac format any disk! Only let the Hopper format your new empty disk.

This is a little over my head, but when i plug the dish formatted EHD into mac i get a big red page in disk management. Files do not show up. Only can erase on disk first aid. Then you can format but only options are exfat, dos files, mac os journaled, and one other possibility.
No linux.
I can restore from the seagate ehd but but takes a day to do this.
Then i plug in to hopper and it wants to format. Only yes or no.

You have to get a copy of a version of Linux on a bootable disc and boot from that disc on your mac. The mac itself does not have Linux available. You must provide the Linux boot disc. I think I even downloaded it from a Linux site for free and burned the disc myself. I was only implying that it could be done on a Mac with the right resources. Google the procedure to copy Dishnetwork DVR files from one EHD to another, it WILL give you the steps to follow.

Reactions: TheKrell
I see linux discs on ebay. Mx Linux, ubuntu, and ubuntu bootable sticks etc.
Is this what I want for the mac?
For transferring dish dvr files from one ehd to another ehd that is formatted by dish.

this is so over my head.

I see linux discs on ebay. Mx Linux, ubuntu, and ubuntu bootable sticks etc.
Is this what I want for the mac?
For transferring dish dvr files from one ehd to another ehd that is formatted by dish.

this is so over my head.

I used Ubuntu, yes I used a disc, there are instructions on how to boot your Mac from a bootable disc, I haven't done it for years myself.

All this stuff is searchable online to see how to do it. I would have to look it up again as I have not done stuff like that for years. You can handle it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts