Under the Dome

And here is Stephen King's response to his constant readers..

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here’s a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. “The movies didn’t change them a bit, son,” he said. “They’re all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them.”

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it’s still there for your perusal. But that doesn’t mean the TV series is bad, because it’s not. In fact, it’s very good. And, if you look closely, you’ll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That’s also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book’s thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Keep reading: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

The verdict so far...a mediocre series, with mediocre acting, based on a mediocre book - and I'm being generous on the first two counts. This show would not survive if weren't so heavily advertised and being broadcast in the dead of summer. The Judge has spoken. ;)

So, with that I won't complain anymore, and might just start from the beginning with fresh eyes... maybe.
I've read many books then watched movies based of them (Grisham's many books adapted to movies, Harry Potter, Tolkien, etc) and I usually miss many things, especially with HP and LOTR. With this show, I'm none the wiser !

I don't think it is fair to call it a mediocre book.

The tv show so far, seems pretty mediocre to me ,but I haven't read the book to be able to compare it. But I am betting that by the end of the summer run, the story will either be wrapped up and ended or so bad that it won't return by next summer. The most exciting thing to happen so far has been the military trying to blow the dome up. I kind of wished that they had succeeded.

Again,is it great tv?No.But,for a summer time show I'm pleased with it.I think it would have done quite well on a cable network,just as Falling Skies has with TNT.It sure beats the crap out of honey boo boo,and a bunch of other reality crap.

Next Episode: Season 1, Episode 6

Monday, July 29, 2013

"The Endless Thirst": As the town's water supply dwindles, people start to fight for the remaining resources; Julia uncovers a strange connection that two Chester's Mill residents have with the dome.

S~

'Under the Dome' Renewed for Second Season at CBS

The network has renewed the summer drama about a town encapsulated by a mysterious dome for a second season, CBS announced Monday at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. The drama will return with another batch of 13 episodes in summer 2014.

Source & More: hollywoodreporter.com

I had read CBS was probably going to do it. Ratings too good to ignore.

And don't count me in with the Mediocre camp. We're enjoying it a lot.

Good news to me.I'm all for decent summertime scripted series.Would be nice if there were a couple more thrown into the mix.For the last month the only shows I have watched are Under the Dome,Falling Skies,and True Blood.There just isn't anything else on that interests me.

The network has renewed the summer drama about a town encapsulated by a mysterious dome for a second season, CBS announced Monday at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. The drama will return with another batch of 13 episodes in summer 2014.

The tv show so far, seems pretty mediocre to me ,but I haven't read the book to be able to compare it. But I am betting that by the end of the summer run, the story will either be wrapped up and ended or so bad that it won't return by next summer. The most exciting thing to happen so far has been the military trying to blow the dome up. I kind of wished that they had succeeded.

The verdict so far...a mediocre series, with mediocre acting, based on a mediocre book - and I'm being generous on the first two counts. This show would not survive if weren't so heavily advertised and being broadcast in the dead of summer. The Judge has spoken. ;)

Well, apparently enough people think it's a good show, enough to renew it for another season, only half way thru the first !

Good news to me.I'm all for decent summertime scripted series.Would be nice if there were a couple more thrown into the mix.For the last month the only shows I have watched are Under the Dome,Falling Skies,and True Blood.There just isn't anything else on that interests me.

I agree, my Summer timers at the moment are dwindled down to UTD and Unforgettable ... which just started last night.

Well I hate to see them drag the story out to next summer now. I was hoping that we could get some answers to what caused the dome to form , who is behind it, etc. But now CBS will keep stretching it out and keep the mystery going and going and going....

Well I hate to see them drag the story out to next summer now. I was hoping that we could get some answers to what caused the dome to form , who is behind it, etc. But now CBS will keep stretching it out and keep the mystery going and going and going....

By then I might be done with the book ...

The book is VERY different from the TV show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)