Understanding how the timers work

billspin

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Colorado
I just recently got the Hopper and am still learning it. The following issue I have with Timers with the Hopper was not an issue with the 722 I used to have. I would like to record Days of Our Lives (DOOL) at 2:00 PM M-F Channel 009-00 our local station. I would also like to record DOOL at 6:00 PM M-F Channel 253 because the local show at 2:00 is sometimes interrupted. I would also like to record DOOL at 5:00 AM M-F Channel 253. The problem is the timers are being skipped based on either Already Scheduled or Exists in DVR. I have these 3 timers in 1, 2, 3 Priority. I have the Protect set to On and the Keep to All Events. I have gone to each of the timers on the Daily Schedule and picked the Restore Event to force it to record, but the timers continue to get set back to skipped. Is there a setting that will force a timer to record no matter what as long as the Priority is high enough to make it happen over any other times? Thanks Bill

I have noticed this too. I don't now exactly how the timers work. But this is what I noticed. If you already have the episode on your DVR you can record the episode again. Also not with the restore event. Yo can set that but for the it first airs. But when it first airs at two PM, then the two other events will be automatically be skipped because it is already on your DVR.
I am clueless thou why you want the same episode recorded 3 times.

Do the Hoppers have the record "All" option?
No they don't. On my old DVR system (comcast) I had a function where you could select allow duplicates. On the Hopper there is now way you can record a duplicate of a show. And I think that is what Billspin wants.

Diversify is correct, the VIP 722 that I had from Dish before Hopper did allow the duplicates to be recorded set up as seperate timers for each, it did not care. Also, we like the show and it seems that when the local station at the 2:00 PM time wants to interupt for important issues, such as telling about Dick Clarks death yesterday the show was interupted. So when the interuption occurs I use one of the other recordings to see what was missed. No big deal just trying to determine if I have the old features like I had in the 722 unit.

If you restore an event and it does not stay restored, that sounds like a problem with that receiver, or a bug. Make sure a DIRT member sees your post......

Also I'm sure the Hopper has a "Dish Pass" type of timer..... It's "Seek and Record"

First, how do I ensure a DIRT member see's this post?
Second and bottom line is if I set a timer I want that timer to record no matter what it thinks I need. As long as the priority list order does not interfear. This is how it worked on the 722's I replaced with the Hopper.

billspin said:
Second and bottom line is if I set a timer I want that timer to record no matter what it thinks I need. As long as the priority list order does not interfear. This is how it worked on the 722's I replaced with the Hopper.

Another feature from the 722 is also missing, the ability to record a channel at a specific time, regardless of what guide says the name of the show is.

This was useful when recoding local news certain time each day

Another feature from the 722 is also missing, the ability to record a channel at a specific time, regardless of what guide says the name of the show is.

I rarely use manual time-based recording, but ironically I just set up one for tonight -- as of last night, the NHL Network just had a generic "NHL Live" event listed when I went to set up a timer for Game 7 of the NJ/Florida series. So manual timer it is. Hopefully this feature comes to the Hopper before I need it again :)

Not sure if this works on the Hopper, but on my 922 which has a similar interface to the Hopper, and also doesn't have a manual timer option, I was able to create a manual timer using the dishonline.com website. The "Create A timer" feature on the site allows you to pick a channel, date, time and frequency. It even shows in my timer listing on the receiver as a "Manual Timer" even though there is no way to create such a thing directly on the receiver's GUI.

Additionally, if you have still have access to the old sling website (dish.sling.com), it's interface allows you to create "Dish Pass" timers, which are also not available on the 922's interface, but work when created online.

Last edited:
PM one. Go to bottom of Forum page...look for logged-in members in RED.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)