Understanding MSG blackouts for Rangers games in specific areas

DirecTVFanSince2016

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 26, 2023
Scranton, PA
With hockey season coming up and me living in an area where the Rangers are the only NY team I get via MSG, how exactly are the blackouts handled in Rangers-only areas? Like can I watch all Rangers home and away games on MSG or only any Rangers home/away game where the Devils, Islanders, or Sabres aren't the other team playing?
Thanks.

Lackawanna County is considered Zone 5 for MSG, so during the regular season you just get the Rangers telecasts, it doesn't matter if they're playing the Islanders, Devils or Sabres as they have seperately produced telecasts.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
How come certain zip codes under 08100 in South Jersey (Flyers and Sixers territory) are getting MSG with the NY/NJ teams (excluding Sabres) w/o the respective out of market package?

I entered all of those on the NHL page and only got the Flyers. DirecTV's tool definitely isn't accurate. Like for some Virginia (245xx, Martinsville, Danville, etc.) ZIP codes it claims the Canes are also available in addition to the Capitals but I don't get the Canes when I enter those ZIP codes on the NHL page, only the Capitals.

Kinda knew it was since it mentions NHL.TV, but I didn't think it would be that outdated. It even listed the Golden Knights when I entered a Vegas ZIP code.

They're also inaccurate. I just entered some Schuylkill County, PA ZIP codes and they wrongly list the Islanders, Rangers, and Devils as eligible teams.

The lookup on their support page isn't tied to the actual API used by the app. You need to put your zip code in on the main MSG+ website. If you're already logged in, you have to logout before you can get to the zip code screen.

Zone 5 is eligible for a limited selection of Devils games that air on the main MSG channel, but they're blacked out of the MSGSN telecasts.

i.e. the upcoming schedule shows them getting the 10/20 Devils game on MSG

On the MSG+ app, "MSG Zone 5" is actually the same feed that Zone 1/NYC gets, while "MSGSN Zone 5" has alternate national programming whenever the Devils and Islanders are on, and also carries MSG2's Knicks and Rangers telecasts as there is no overflow feed for Zone 5.

Zone 1 is NYC and central NJ where they get everything except the Sabres
Zone 2 is Eastern NY where they pretty much get all the NYC and Buffalo teams
Zone 3 is Western NY where they get the Sabres and Knicks
Zone 4 is Monroe, Carbon and Schuylkill counties in PA and eastern Connecticut where they just get the Rangers and MSG's Devils games
Zone 5 is Central Connecticut and the rest of Northeast PA
Zone 6 is Northwestern PA - Crawford-Warren-McKean-W Potter
Zone 7 is Southwestern NY
Zone 8 is Litchfield CT
Zone 9 is Northern PA - E Potter-Tioga-Bradford
Zone 10 is Central NY, they get the same teams as Eastern NY, but the Sabres get priority on the main channel
"Zone 11" is MSG National

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016