underwhelmed by Direct so far :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would guess that they have already cleaned up, that was over a week ago ...

Hopefully they have pictures.

If the tech had muddy boots and no covers, he should have removed them prior to coming in ...
I have been in that position many times.

The mud-tracking happened a good 2+ hours in to the install. I don't like to hover, so I was off doing my own thing. 30 seconds after he left, I had the not-quite-steam cleaner out (trying to get as much out as I could before the wife saw it) and then ran off from there to work (the install (1xHR34+2xHR25) took almost 4 hours.. and he didn't have to run any cables.. just re-used what was there from my Dish install (which was there from the previous owner's TWC install)). My Dish install (which had to run the cables from the Dish in to the house took ~1.5 hrs less).. shrug.

He was very insistent that I check his ID... but since he also had a truck and uniform and all the other stuff, I kinda figured, geez he is either real, OR if he could steal all that other stuff, faking the ID is probably easy :) but I tried to look at it and nod with a serious expression :) I realize that the ID thing wasn't his idea, it was Direct's.. but as I said if you have a truck with all the logos, and I the customer wouldn't know a real Direct ID vs. something whipped up in Photoshop, as long as the pic matches, it seems a false sense of security to me :)

Here's part of the mess they left from my photo collection of the install.

image-1019881922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Kb Cool said:
It's a box?

Yes, one of three "D" boxes, plus their cable scraps and saw dust all left behind and not cleaned up. There are many photos from their install mess.

Rule #1: You make a mess, you clean it up!! "Mom & Dad aren't here to clean up your mess"

Last edited:
Yes, one of three "D" boxes, plus their cable scraps and saw dust all left behind and not cleaned up. There are many photos from their install mess.

Rule #1: You make a mess, you clean it up!! "Mom & Dad aren't here to clean up your mess"

I also got some "free" boxes and "single-ended" cables (if he'd just crimped a connector on the cut sides before tossing in the yard at least I could have made use of them) :) (much prefer those "gifts" to mud), and only discovered 2 days later he'd left the crawlspace wide open and the lights on down there.

Nothing I felt the need to call and scream about (the potential loss of the referral discount for myself and my sis were a higher priority).. just the kind of stuff which sours the overall experience. I guess Direct has 2 years (while I'm under contract) to improve upon that impression.

Boxes are free !

It took a week (of them digging thru their server logs), but they finally sent me an email saying I was getting the referral credit.... this just as my "send back to Dish" kit showed up. I did have to threaten to cancel, and got them to agree that to extend the 24 hour cancellation limit to wait until they finished their investigation in to whether I'd be getting the credit (and then only if I was denied). Far much more hassle than it should have been. I mean if its within 24 hours and someone is able to cancel anyway (and then re-sign up?) why not give the referral credit without the hassle?

As for the carpet.. yes, wet days suck.. but this was a full set of tracks up the stairs and across the bonus room..... all the guy said was oops.. and then blamed it on his mngmt for not restocking their supply of booties as if that made it all ok.

Glad I will be able to stick with Direct, but the entire start of this has def left a sour taste.

Sorry, but I'd have asked him to take off his shoes. Most people (regardless if they are installers or visitors) would honor such a request if done so politely :)

Yeah, my guy left a little saw dust too. But, i still tipped him $20!:D

Sorry, but I'd have asked him to take off his shoes. Most people (regardless if they are installers or visitors) would honor such a request if done so politely :)

this happened after he had already spent an hour working outside.. he was coming and going inside/outside on his own volition. Some things you generally expect ppl to do on their own.. especially an experienced installer...

zim2dive said:
Install issues:
- no codes for my 4 month old Westinghouse TV .. and tech support appears to be saying "tough luck" if none of the existing codes work
- installer tracked mud all across our white carpet (sigh)

JUCJ85 said:
Sorry to hear about being underwhelmed. But some of my thoughts.

If it was muddy outside it's tough to keep the carpet clean 100%.

The credits issue seems odd. But i've never had an issue with getting credits added on. Usually they show up after logging out and logging back in.

The codes are a hassle, I have a 3 year old Sylvania LCD tv and none of the codes work either. It's a real pain in the behind.

Hope all works out for you though.

have you guys tried posting your tech issues in the tech forum. Sounds like some people on here are a little more educated than your installers and could probably help you. Couldn't hurt

I just signed up with D* today. Everything seemed to go smoothly until I got my confirmation E-mail. The order was totally wrong. What I wanted (and thought she set it up to get) was the new HR34 receiver, and two HD receivers. With a total start up cost of the $99 for a new customer with a monthly charge of $61 (or close to it). Instead what I find on my E-mail was two HD DVR's (I assume two HR24's), and one HD receiver. One being one of those TIVO receivers. Charged me $212 for start up cost as a new customer, and show that I was going to be paying $96 a month. I called in, and the CSR confirmed that it was set up as the latter so I had her change it. My issue is she wanted to charge me once again the $99 up front upgrade cost, and says I'll have to wait 3-5 business days for the mistaken charge to be refunded. I understand they can only do what their computer will let them so I didn't bulk it and just paid. I'm hoping these clowns got it correct the second time around, and I get my refund back as well. I'm not HOT, but am a little agitated, and I hope this is not a pattern that they will be following for the rest of my commitment. As of right now lets just say I'm not impressed, but still have faith this will turn out to be water under the bridge. I hope I don't regret my decision to switch.

Funny all these horror stories when I send folks to the online ordering tool and they come out golden and 100% accurate each and every time. Do you guys keep any records of who you are talking to and what deals you are getting and double confirm to have things correct? Just asking.

Funny all these horror stories when I send folks to the online ordering tool and they come out golden and 100% accurate each and every time. Do you guys keep any records of who you are talking to and what deals you are getting and double confirm to have things correct? Just asking.

Actually I did double confirm with her, and she had it right (or so I thought) when I gave her my CC info. She actually asked me to double confirm the authorization of the charge, and I specifically said "I agree that DirecTV is allowed to withdraw the $99 + tax charge from my account." As far as a record of who I was talking to all I have is the order receipt #. Whether, or not that would track who I talked to I don't know. I even started out using the web sight, but I couldn't find anywhere to enter in my refers code so I decided to call in.

I did mine 100% online... made a PDF of the order... never got a confirmation email ... so for me the online system was what failed. Shrug.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)