Undisputed Back to Back Championships in HD in VOOM ONLY

Looking at all the cameras on the ring, it looks like all of them are Don King's camera crew. It looks like Don King's crew is doing all the work and they just passing the HD fee to VOOM.

I can tell you that this boxing event was worth watching. Would it be worth $44? Yes, if I was a boxing fan. The PQ was excellent except that there was a camera that was out of focus in close shots. It was great and it was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Thanks VOOM.

The event was great wasn't it? Also for the first time I saw the Voom commercial after the fight which looked nice even though it wasn't in HD.

Did anyone see what darinp2 describes. I have a 60" display and I also saw it. If you did or did not see it please respond and state how big is your display.

Posted by: darinp2 at AVSforum
I really enjoyed the boxing on my 116" wide High Power with my Sharp 11k projector. However, I do want to mention that I saw quite a bit of blocking during movement and even at times with no movement. Things like the fighters being very blocky while the rest of the scene was stable. Some of this looked like classic bandwidth limitations to me. I think everybody that was at my party noticed it and they mentioned it to me since I had been busy doing some other things and hadn't started watching as soon as they did. But when I started watching the blocking eventually showed up. However, it seemed to come and go. I've watched enough HD with other sources to know that most other sources don't show this effect. Also, I haven't seen it on VOOM's RAVE channel.

I'm not trying to trash it as I was very glad to have it, but I don't want people to get the wrong impression. If Monday night football or CBS's 1080i Sunday football had as much of a problem as I saw with the fights I think they would be getting trashed on this forum. Being pretty much rookies and having an exclusive I'm willing to give VOOM some space to improve. I didn't see these same problems when Showtime had their HD boxing a couple of months ago or so and I think I watched that one from DirecTV.

--Darin

my response:

Darin,

I agree with your assessment and I think you are not alone in what you saw in those action shots. As the fighters were entering the ring I saw the same thing but I thought it was due a camera being out of focus. Now those "blocking" (like you call it), I could not determine if it was due to a specific camera or not. There were other action shots were these "blocks" did not appear. It was more evident wen the shot came from the side and at close range. It could be due to bandwith limitation but I do not know enough to say that it was due to that since it happened a lot of times in action shots at close range but other times it did not happen. Also, it looked that the crew with the HD cameras were from Don King's production unit so VOOM was just getting the feed (I think). It could have been very interested if D* or E* would have gotten access to the fight so that we can compare notes but that it's not the case.

In all fairness it was a great event. No SD shots were used. Everything from the locker room to entering the ring, interview, and boxing training video was shot in HD in my opinion. Yes, there is room for improvement but otherwise I thought the PQ was exceptional.

And yes! I agree with you that people here would have been making strong opinions about that particular problem.

I made some of these observations at Satelliteguys.us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts