Uniden SQ590 won't stay powered up.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Some Call Me Tim

Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
I hope someone here can offer some assistance. I have about a 5 year old Uniden SQ590. Since I have a small dish I use the BUD only for Fox News as I live in a high hurricane area (Florida). I can turn on the receiver which only lasts for about 30 seconds, then goes out. Attempts at unplugging it and plugging it in keeps it on for shorter subsequent periods of time. If this was a computer I would replace the power unit, or look at the caps. The caps look fine. In the book "The Home Satellite TV Installation & Troubleshooting Manual" it states that the voltage regulator is overheating. Any advice in where to start looking? Does anyone have schematics for the Uniden SQ590? Thanks in advance.

I hope someone here can offer some assistance. I have about a 5 year old Uniden SQ590. Since I have a small dish I use the BUD only for Fox News as I live in a high hurricane area (Florida). I can turn on the receiver which only lasts for about 30 seconds, then goes out. Attempts at unplugging it and plugging it in keeps it on for shorter subsequent periods of time. If this was a computer I would replace the power unit, or look at the caps. The caps look fine. In the book "The Home Satellite TV Installation & Troubleshooting Manual" it states that the voltage regulator is overheating. Any advice in where to start looking? Does anyone have schematics for the Uniden SQ590? Thanks in advance.

PRODUCTION STOPPED TEN YEARS AGO.

I had the same problem about 4 years ago. Parts on the power supply board were bad. As I remember, I think they were a voltage regulator, a resistor, an inductor and two elec. caps. The resistor had left burn marks on the board. If you're into repairing electronics, you should be able to figure out what died on your board. The easiest way is to send it in for repairs at one of several service centers around the country. Usually they have a flat-rate repair fee. By the way, you can't really tell if an elec. cap is bad by looking at it. You really need an ESR tester. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the link to the manual. Some computer motherboards were built with counterfeit caps, and they had a relatively short life. They can be detected by bulging tops or leaking fluid. I have saved friends from buying new motherboards by replacing the defective caps.

Power supply

ASSUMING the power supply is the problem:

I recommend "shotgunning" (replacing) all of the electrolytic caps in the power supply, especially if this is an old receiver.

Old electrolytic caps do dry out and cause lots of problems.

Use Panasonic FM series caps for <=50V, EB series for >50V. Easily bought at www.digikey.com, match voltage and capacitance.

They are long life and will last a LONG time so you only need to do it once.

If that doesn't fix it, then get out the meter and check every part in the power supply (especially if it's a switching supply.) Replace any suspect parts.

Also look for any voltages drooping after turn-on or things getting hot.

The service manual is very useful if you get this far. Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts