Unimesh 7.5 Foot Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tom5049

Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Greensboro, North Carolina
Hello,

I recently purchased an old 7.5 foot C-Band mesh dish. On the side of the feedhorn it says Unimesh and there are two coax cables coming from there. I have tested one of the cables and it is C-band with LO=5150 and I can get channels with horizontal polarization but none with vertical. All the parts are very likely original in this dish. I have googled this dish but cannot find specs, does anyone know the specs on this dish or where to look?

Also my connecting cable is probably long than 200 feet. Could the feedhorn be C/Ku with the 2nd coax Ku but just not able to change polarization because of cable length or broken servo?

Could the feedhorn be C/Ku with the 2nd coax Ku
Very possible, take the "Unimesh" Cover off, and make note of what is there.

but just not able to change polarization because of cable length or broken servo?
Broken Servo is possible. Which receiver are you using to control the Servo?

Some setups have 2 c-band lnbs on them. The used dish I just got was setup that way. One cable was for V and the other was for H. It was set up that way because the previous owner had a second receiver in another room and they could watch two different channels on the same sat. Your best bet is to remove the cover and look as stated above. Have a great day!

Hello,

I recently purchased an old 7.5 foot C-Band mesh dish. On the side of the feedhorn it says Unimesh and there are two coax cables coming from there. I have tested one of the cables and it is C-band with LO=5150 and I can get channels with horizontal polarization but none with vertical. All the parts are very likely original in this dish. I have googled this dish but cannot find specs, does anyone know the specs on this dish or where to look?

Also my connecting cable is probably long than 200 feet. Could the feedhorn be C/Ku with the 2nd coax Ku but just not able to change polarization because of cable length or broken servo?

Take a few pics so we can help you better.:up

After opening up the feedhorn I could see that it is a single C-band LNB with a servo that has wires connected to it. Somehow I had overlooked those wires, they were probably under some snow but they are not connecting to anything. This would explain why the 22KHz will not change polarization. Also I see that the 2nd coax is connected to nothing.

I suppose there is no way economical way to adapt this servo to accept 22KHz controls?

I am thinking my best option would be to get a new C/Ku feedhorn with 22KHz since I also want to get circular C-band, and Ku would be big plus. The Gbox should handle the actuator.

About Ku I think the mesh is OK but I have seen some diagrams with different C and Ku focal points on the same feedhorn, will and old dish like this work with a C/Ku feedhorn? I don't understand how there can be two different focal points unless the dish is shaped this way, in effect two dish shapes connected concentrically? Just don't want to buy something and find out it is not compatible with the dish...

The other thing I noticed is that there are some bolts around the base of the feedhorn "cylinder" (see pic) and there are some markings: 30, 35, etc. What do those numbers mean? I am thinking this can be adjusted to place the feedhorn precisely at the focal point of the dish.

Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

• CIMG3446.JPG
    CIMG3446.JPG
    715.6 KB · Views: 418
  • CIMG3449.JPG
    CIMG3449.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 325
  • CIMG3451.JPG
    CIMG3451.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 320
  • CIMG3454.JPG
    CIMG3454.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 316
and there are some markings: 30, 35, etc. What do those numbers mean?
Those are the f/d ratio markings. That is a gage of how past the Scalar Ring the Feedhorn should be.

I suppose there is no way economical way to adapt this servo to accept 22KHz controls?
No way I know of, economical or not.
I am thinking my best option would be to get a new C/Ku feedhorn with 22KHz since I also want to get circular C-band, and Ku would be big plus.
I would try a DMX741 or CK1, both are combo C/Ku feeds that have inserts for Circular C Band. I have never tried for Circular C Band, and can't comment on how well it works.

Hi tom5049
I have the same dish as you . Mine originaly came with a chaperal lnb. I also wanted to test c and ku bands with this dish . I purchased a Gbox to move it and purchased a Geosat CK1 c/ku .Setting it up was fairly easy , make darn sure your pole is plumb !!!!! The first thing i aimed for was everything on c-band and when i was satisfied i had the arc locked on i whent for ku . That to some playing around sense the ku side is not so forgiving as c-band.The only prob i had was making sure the feed horn was pointd directly at the center of the dish . I am very happy with this setup . Now onto my next project , planting a 10' along side the unimesh . Good luck with your new toy you and remember be pationt you have a great dish there.

Panhandler

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)