union link for installers not tryin to start trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.
uboatcmdr said:
Well when you contractors charge upwards of $80 for a $6 galvanized fence post, $2 per foot to bury wire and $30 per phone line I can see how you suffer so and what a great sacrifice you made for that little child. BS, we HSP's do all those things for free. We also crawl under houses and into attics, those things the contractors can and do charge extra for. I have all too often had to go behind contractors and repair their shoddy installs. I'm not saying that some HSP techs don't screw up, but atleast when we do it is our guys who go fix it. In the case of the contractors it is most often the HSP's who wind up having to clean up the mess. Sacrifieces, well sir it is a sacrifice to our dignity to have to fix the f*ck ups of the contractors.

BS you got paid hourly or for a service call, it wasnt free.
what you are trying to say is YOU couldnt charge EXTRA, correct? not all independents are hacks and not all hsp techs are great. there is good and bad on all ends.

all good techs should be able to make 50g per year. work being available, a great tech should be able to gross around 70g
Imagine that 70g$ tech being cut to 25g$ a year. What would you do? Just bend over and guide it in? What about the techs quality of life after a cut like that?Being baited with false promises all the time will eventially cause a rift between techs and management.And as far as getting paid by the hour for a service call?Only if we go over 40 hrs in a week, and we were told "If you go into overtime I will have to cut your route, thats what corporate told me to do". You say your an area manager? Ok, what would you do if one of your techs called in and said he needed help from a field trainer or a superviser because he was surounded be 6 cops, 1 landlord, 4 tennants, and the customer?
No one shows up and no one even calls back so you have to keep calling? WWSD?

phatnuts said:
all good techs should be able to make 50g per year. work being available, a great tech should be able to gross around 70g
Imagine that 70g$ tech being cut to 25g$ a year. What would you do? Just bend over and guide it in? What about the techs quality of life after a cut like that?Being baited with false promises all the time will eventially cause a rift between techs and management.And as far as getting paid by the hour for a service call?Only if we go over 40 hrs in a week, and we were told "If you go into overtime I will have to cut your route, thats what corporate told me to do". You say your an area manager? Ok, what would you do if one of your techs called in and said he needed help from a field trainer or a superviser because he was surounded be 6 cops, 1 landlord, 4 tennants, and the customer?
No one shows up and no one even calls back so you have to keep calling? WWSD?

i never said i didnt feel bad for you guys, as i said i was playing devils advocate.
BTW an area manager in the MSP program is not a boss, simply used as a ship- to point for equipment and get 5 more per job to handle (be responsible) for the eq.

why were you surrounded by cops, landlord, tennants and cx?? and what did you want the supervisor to do? tell the cops he was taking over the dispute???

dude what a deal

obviously you are a good negotiator because the deal you have is almost as good as the msp is getting. according to the contract ,available at cablesux.com you are getting almost everything the msp is getting , that is truly unusual and outstanding. you are right, comraderie does exist and is apparent everyday, we don't want to see that disappear either, as we feel it will, with reduced pride and professionalism, the irony of this whole thing is we all, mgmnt as well as labor want the same thing at the end of the day

cajun,

yes i got a real good deal, and they came after me, by word of mouth. and im doing all the jobs the same way i did at the hsp, no quality lapse. im a real good tech, my first boss called me A NATURAL. i love my job and am proud of the job i do for DIRECTV

phatnuts said:
80$ a pole? around here they tell the cust 100$ a pole!!!!!!ripoff!!! with the kinda money the contractors make you would think they could afford an inclinometer!!

i get 100 per pole, that includes 20 feet of burial, after that 2.00 per foot

phone jack is supposed to be 65 i charge 35, thru the floor

BTW my poles are pressure treated 4X4 posts with 2 80lb bags of concrete
ive only done 2 in 6 years, that is manual labor, im a tech not an installer

there is a huge difference!

....bob :cool:

see our point

dude,
that is our point exactly, you get PAID for those things, we don't. we too are professional techs, personally the customers i deal with enjoy me because i treat their home like mine and i appreciate them,,,,after all THEY are the reason i have a job. sadly we, cannot say that about all,,yanno. those are a couple of the things we are edgie about, also we only get 40 on an upgrade, no matter what has to be done, including, complete relocation and rewiring, all that for $40. i also have been contacted by local msp, after what i've delt with here, obviously i'm wary. need to let them show steady pay history, and exactly who they are. 2.5 years we've never seen our owner except for video sent to tell us to vote no to the union, he cares deeply about us and hopes to meet us soon,...

fair winds and following seas

rajincajun said:
dude,
we absolutely tried, a sizeable group emailing hr dept constant for a very long time, also e-mails sent to mgmnt because a tech got their e-mails, no response. the hr mgr did the best he could and to date has been the only one when, he said he would get back with you, actually did. Mike McElvine , i hope i did'nt butcher the last name, i capped him because he has EARNED respect with action. aside from that pretty much all we heard and still here is "this is how it is going to be, no discussion from you techs." that comes from everyone except mike.

now back to sateck, i'm curious to your reading and comprehention skills, i'll remind you from rajincajun; "i voted for bush,,,,TWICE!"

Wow! This guy must be blushing somewhere ;) .And yes you did butcher the name, but I'm sure you are forgiven.

uboatcmdr said:
Community College??? I think you really meant to say you where at the class B&A's hired guns (law firm) was holding entitled something like "How to keep the inmates from running the asylum" or something like that. The class is about how to screw the workers and keep a union from being voted in.
Uhh, the training class was actually a joke. I figured Phatnuts would get a kick out of it.

I would watch the anti-union vhs tape, but I have been trying to save money to buy one of these new "VCR" inventions (technology is amazing) With the proposed pay-cuts I will not be able to afford one. Maybe our corporate office could send me the audio on 8-track instead ?

sateck01 said:
BS you got paid hourly or for a service call, it wasnt free.
what you are trying to say is YOU couldnt charge EXTRA, correct? not all independents are hacks and not all hsp techs are great. there is good and bad on all ends.

Once again you are attempting to read without your glasses on or something. I never said we did service calls for "FREE". We get paid $25 for a service call. That's not much espcially if we have to re-install a majority of the system. If it was one of my guys who screwed up, then the company could back charge him and give me the money, but if the job was originally done by a contractor then I am just SOL.
While you may use treated 4x4's and include some of the coax burial in the price most contractors use the same $6 a piece galvanized poles we do (that's what they cost at Lowe's or Home Depot). They charge upwards of $80 for those poles and that is totally ridiculous.
I'm glad you go out of your way to do a good job, doing a job the right way is the only way it should be done. And yes there are a lot of bums on both sides, I just happen to think there is more corner cutting taking place with the contractors than with the HSP's.

uboatcmdr said:
Well when you contractors charge upwards of $80 for a $6 galvanized fence post, $2 per foot to bury wire and $30 per phone line I can see how you suffer so and what a great sacrifice you made for that little child. BS, we HSP's do all those things for free.

you mean the HSP doesnt charge for these services....ok.
you are being paid to be there though. so YOU are not doing them for free. that was my point.

yours is probably the only hsp not charging for pole installs..just FYI

sateck01 said:
uboatcmdr said:
Well when you contractors charge upwards of $80 for a $6 galvanized fence post, $2 per foot to bury wire and $30 per phone line I can see how you suffer so and what a great sacrifice you made for that little child. BS, we HSP's do all those things for free.

you mean the HSP doesnt charge for these services....ok.
you are being paid to be there though. so YOU are not doing them for free. that was my point.

yours is probably the only hsp not charging for pole installs..just FYI

We currently get paid by the install, just like you. But when the new trucks come in a number of our guys will be getting paid by the hour (which is much less than getting paid by the job).
I'm not griping about not getting paid extra for poles, I think they should be included as part of an install if needed (referring to galvanized fence poles not 4x4 treated fence posts). As for coax burial, we (in my office anyway) have been told that we must bury up to 100 feet (if needed) for free. That can really suck if your on a $25 service call and have to replace the coax from the dish to the house. Most contractors will only bury 20-40 feet max.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts