Unity 4422

Status
Please reply by conversation.
nice to see an honest auction listing. ;)

I figured a lot of that lot might have gone up on ebay without the note about being ASI only (especially from that guy who bought 17 since he thinks he might have gotten a bargain and will try to flip it without proper disclosure to other people who don't know they lack rf module inputs).

mine came Thursday - works great with my ASI source so I'm happy.

p.s. I wonder if rf modules can be acquired and how much they are. If the price isn't too bad and if it doesn't require a software replacement due to the new module, you might be able to convert your receivers to RF input with that module.

These are really great if you have one or more receivers with ASI out. You can add 4:2:2 capability to a Digitrans 7100 (which are cheaper than the 7150s) for just a few bones :)

p.s. I wonder if rf modules can be acquired and how much they are. If the price isn't too bad and if it doesn't require a software replacement due to the new module, you might be able to convert your receivers to RF input with that module.
They do exist... http://www.wegener.com/SUPPORT/pdf/archive/switch.pdf now to find one. Notice it lists the 4422 as one of the models that will accept it. If I can find that RF switch....:rolleyes:. Even though, I'm still leaning towards the Digitrans 7150.

You guys do know there are other ways to get 4:2:2 SD decoding right? Reportedly the Popcorn hour media players will play 4:2:2 SD. The MyHD ota tuner cards will also playback recorded 4:2:2 SD content as will VLC. 4:2:2 HD is more of a problem, but a modern PC can handle it. These boxes are SD only. Now if you can find a 4:2:2 HD decoder like this with ASI in it might be worthwhile, if you can get it at a semi-decent price and pair it up with a dvb-s2 or 8psk trellis demodulator with ASI out.

Yes I know there are other ways. I just want to keep the TV stuff and the computer separate. Even if it calls for several receivers. I have 7 set-top boxes in my den now....one or two more won't hurt :D:up

You guys do know there are other ways to get 4:2:2 SD decoding right? Reportedly the Popcorn hour media players will play 4:2:2 SD. The MyHD ota tuner cards will also playback recorded 4:2:2 SD content as will VLC. 4:2:2 HD is more of a problem, but a modern PC can handle it. These boxes are SD only. Now if you can find a 4:2:2 HD decoder like this with ASI in it might be worthwhile, if you can get it at a semi-decent price and pair it up with a dvb-s2 or 8psk trellis demodulator with ASI out.

VLC is a great 4:2:2 solution if you can get the stream into your PC (or record it). I use my Visionsat to record 4:2:2 and HD (it won't display the video, but will record it). I then remux the .TS file on my PC (VLC doesn't like native files recorded by the Visionsat for some reason) and play it. No problem with 4:2:2, and at least you can hear the audio while recording it with the Visionsat.

They do exist... http://www.wegener.com/SUPPORT/pdf/archive/switch.pdf now to find one. Notice it lists the 4422 as one of the models that will accept it. If I can find that RF switch....:rolleyes:. Even though, I'm still leaning towards the Digitrans 7150.

I looked at that yesterday. It's a switch, not a tuner module for the 4422. you take an output from that module and run it into the tuner of the 4422 or the 4000 or whatever, if you look at the diagram.

as for the poster (edit: stefan) who talked about popcorn hour, all I have to say is "$25 for a 4422 or over $200 for a popcorn hour device... hmmmm, tough choice. " ;)

Most of my 4:2:2 is done via temp DVD so I can watch the event when I get home from work (record TS to PC, then transcode to DVD and burn to a +RW, watch, and reuse for another event).

I have one 4422 left to sell, but not before I get a hold of Brian @ satellite AV and see what he is talking about. (Said he had something with ASI output)

I'm not letting this thing go until I'm FOR SURE able to get at least some sort of bang for my buck. Digitrans is out of my league for now. I'll let Tron enjoy that. (you lucky SOB!)

as for the poster (edit: stefan) who talked about popcorn hour, all I have to say is "$25 for a 4422 or over $200 for a popcorn hour device... hmmmm, tough choice. " ;)

But, did you factor in the cost of commercial receiver with ASI out or a $500 ASI PCI output card? You see that's the big piece of the puzzle your missing here. Now, if these units had L band inputs then it would have been a fantastic deal, but since they're ASI in only that significantly changes the situation. For those of us who do have ASI equipment, it's still a pretty decent deal, but for those who don't they'd be better off looking at other solutions like the popcorn hour as by the time they purchase all the pieces they'll need to complete the puzzle they will have spent way more than they would have for a more flexible and future proof option like the Popcorn hour which also does H.264.

Last edited:
But, did you factor in the cost of commercial receiver with ASI out or a $500 ASI PCI output card? You see that's the big piece of the puzzle

yes, I did. I've had my receiver so long that it has depreciated. :D

If I didn't already have the receiver, a popcorn hour would make sense. It just makes sense for me since I've made the investment long ago to use what I have and add the 4422 box for next to nothing.

@tron: let us know how the WDTV box does. I find it for sale on more sites than I have the popcorn hour for some weird reason. With all the talk about popcorn hour on the geek podcasts, I wonder why it's not available from the major internet shopping sites.

The WDTV box is considerably cheaper (around $100 shipped), but it lacks network connectivity. This is a big deal breaker for many, and I'd prefer if it had a network jack, but its not bad for the money. I use it for AVCHD playback, since I use that format for nearly all of my video shooting.

The WDTV box is considerably cheaper (around $100 shipped), but it lacks network connectivity.

what does that mean for our purposes? Record a TS file to an external USB drive that can be plugged into the WDTV (or a smaller file that can be put on a USB thumb drive) and then play it with a connection to a HD set? No live content -- say something tuned with a PCI sat card livetime - because of no network connectivity?

It would be a much more useful box with network functionality, but for the price, it makes a great media player. It will play just about anything you throw at it, including processor-intensive AVC. I have my WDTV connected to a Thermaltake BlacX drive dock, and another dock on my Visionsat. I can record HD on the Visionsat and then move it over to the WDTV with ease.

Status
Please reply by conversation.