Universal remote controls and the HWS?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I would like to buy a good universal remote that is compatible with the Hopper With Sling. I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player, RCA flat-panel TV and an older Technics stereo/amp I want to control with this remote. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

One of the Harmony remotes from Logitech. I use a Harmony 700 and it does everything I need it to do and more...

Any Logitech Harmony remote would work fine unless your equipment is hidden from the view, in which case you would need an IR repeater of some sort.

I control all of those with an $8 RCA RCRP05BR. I have 12 devices and 30 activity macros on mine. It's far more capable than most Harmonys. The URC WR7 is another good cheap option.

I use a Harmony 880 & a Harmony One on my two HWS and HTs. Very happy with them. But for $8 I'd certainly look at the RCA first.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I control all of those with an $8 RCA RCRP05BR. I have 12 devices and 30 activity macros on mine. It's far more capable than most Harmonys. The URC WR7 is another good cheap option.
Hmm... can't figure out how to edit my post. I just wanted to add if you get the RCA remote, the Dish code is CBL 0775, and the Sony Blu-ray code is DVD 1516. You'll have to look up the others, but they're in there. The beauty of the RCA besides the price is you can add any command using individual function codes and also program it from your PC or Mac with an optional cable. If you need any additional function codes like discrete power and input codes, post back.

That said, the easiest route, although more expensive, is harmony. I have several sitting in my closet in case my JP1 remotes like the RCA ever bite the dust.

After a set period, you can no longer edit your posts. Some years back, we had someone editing their really old posts to say, oh, "look better."

I would like to buy a good universal remote that is compatible with the Hopper With Sling. I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player, RCA flat-panel TV and an older Technics stereo/amp I want to control with this remote. Anyone have any suggestions?
The Dish remote can control all of those things too, only drawback is lack of macros.

But it's nice to push just one button and have the Hopper, HDTV and AV receiver all come on, each set to the correct inputs and outputs. And everything else turned off.

One of the Harmony remotes from Logitech. I use a Harmony 700 and it does everything I need it to do and more...

Just bought a Harmony 700 refurbished for $70. I've got it controlling my Sanyo projector, Onkyo AV receiver, Roku HD box, Blu-ray player, DVD player and Hopper 2000. Works really well.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try the RCA and if that one doesn't do it, I'll try the Harmony.
Your Hopper remote can probably do what that RCA remote can do, as it is fully capable of controlling the devices you mentioned. But, if you want to be able to push one button to turn everything on for a specific activity, such as watch TV, watch a blu-ray, or watch TV with audio system, a Harmony would be the way to go.

Your Hopper remote can probably do what that RCA remote can do, as it is fully capable of controlling the devices you mentioned. But, if you want to be able to push one button to turn everything on for a specific activity, such as watch TV, watch a blu-ray, or watch TV with audio system, a Harmony would be the way to go.
Really? I kind of consider myself an expert on JP1 remotes like the RCA and can tell you that it is far more capable than any Dish or Harmony remote. They do macros (activities), 5 functions per button, nested macros (unlimited macro steps), device specific macros, device multiplexing (meaning unlimited devices), multi-macros, device specific volume punch thru, conditional branching, key group mapping, custom protocols and devices, signal analysis, pronto hex import/export, etc. Harmony is pretty limited if you need to do anything besides basic activities. Most harmony's have no sequence capability whatsoever, and a few can do only 5 steps. Only the newest Ultimate/Touch can do 10 steps. Even something as simple as programming a button to toggle captions on a harmony can be a challenge, whereas, it's trivial on the RCA, and impossible on a Dish remote. On harmony, you can't even edit the steps in activity macros, only add more commands to them in a few cases (using the old 7.7 software).

Last time I checked, I could do "activities" just fine on my RCA and have been doing so since before harmony even existed. Plus they're faster, and I have full control over the steps. So I don't understand how you can equate any JP1 with a Dish remote.

The Hopper remote may be capable of turning on my other devices, but does not control other commands I need for those devices. For instance, the "Input" button on the Hopper remote does not work for my TV. I use the Input button a lot for switching between HDMI ports.

The Hopper remote is a learning remote so if needed it can learn the TVs input command.

The first thing to check though is, did you turn off limited mode on the remote?
yellow, 6, limited mode, disabled, save

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)