Universal Sports and paying for channels we can't get

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
First, it's really bad when we supposedly have 290 channels to watch but between my wife and I the list that we do watch is about 20 channels (at least on the other 270 we have the option not to watch) now we're paying for channels that we used to watch but can't due to one dispute after another. How many of you you but a six-pack with 5 in it, or a dozen eggs with only 10 etc.... I'm waiting for the day they shut the system down completely while excepting a full payment.

Before anyone asks, the channels we watch are all in different tiers so to get them you have to buy everything. Amazing how that works, ain't it?

Now that the free preview of Universal Sports has ended I can't even find how much it would cost to add it or how. It's not on any of the menus for my online account. Any info on the price? Probably it's tied to a package for which we'd get several other channels not to watch.

I'd be happy to trade in a hundred or so of the other channels to get USN, like ESPN, the baseball, football, NASCAR, shopping, the non-english channels....

Speaking of previews, I'd like a credit for any channel that is offered free on preview that I already get.

USN is in the Sports Pack add-on. You may be able to get it for half-off for 6 months if you ask and have a qualified account.

Universal Sports is part of the Multi Sports package. Think it's about $11/mo, but it may have gone up. Call Dish and see if they will give you a discount for 6 months. We watch the channel alot.

Universal Sports is part of the Multi Sports package. Think it's about $11/mo, but it may have gone up. Call Dish and see if they will give you a discount for 6 months. We watch the channel alot.
It's more than doubled in price.........started out @ $5.00/month

I did a chat about Universal Sports in HD. You can't get it.
Is that because Dish doesn't offer it in HD or there is no HD feed?

What is a little nutty is that the Multi-Sport Pack has some serious overlap with Top 200 and Top 250, yet the price remains the same.

And round and round we go. It was $5 with nowhere near the amount of channels, and years ago. Just about everything you buy has increased with often no change to the product, $5 then with no changes could easily be $8 or more now. For those who get it only for Red Zone it's a good deal because you can drop it after the season.

The overlap is what makes it seem not as good a deal, agreed. Seems like there should be something of a discount but in reality you can get that package for 1/2 off often.

Reactions: ChadT41
Stop the round and round spinning. :) The amount of channels added in recent years is disproportionate to the increases in price over that time. It is a microcosm of how expensive sports programming is getting.

The overlap probably buffers the true cost of the package, which would likely be much higher if the channels weren't in other main packages.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yep that is implied when I said without any additions that $5 would be higher now.... :) Good point about the package if truly A La Carte would be much more. (If some channels were not already in other packages)

First, it's really bad when we supposedly have 290 channels to watch but between my wife and I the list that we do watch is about 20 channels (at least on the other 270 we have the option not to watch) now we're paying for channels that we used to watch but can't due to one dispute after another. How many of you you but a six-pack with 5 in it, or a dozen eggs with only 10 etc.... I'm waiting for the day they shut the system down completely while excepting a full payment.

Before anyone asks, the channels we watch are all in different tiers so to get them you have to buy everything. Amazing how that works, ain't it?

Now that the free preview of Universal Sports has ended I can't even find how much it would cost to add it or how. It's not on any of the menus for my online account. Any info on the price? Probably it's tied to a package for which we'd get several other channels not to watch.

I'd be happy to trade in a hundred or so of the other channels to get USN, like ESPN, the baseball, football, NASCAR, shopping, the non-english channels....

Speaking of previews, I'd like a credit for any channel that is offered free on preview that I already get.
same problem here. have to have at least the AT250 to get the 15 channels i actually use. In the c band days, i could buy the channels i wanted alacarte. This packaging system is crap

same problem here. have to have at least the AT250 to get the 15 channels i actually use. In the c band days, i could buy the channels i wanted alacarte. This packaging system is crap

I agree. I found out to get USN I have to buy the multi sports package which already has several channels that I get (and don't watch) plus a few more that I have no interest in just to get the one I want. Some else has said that a la carte would cost more in the long run. I agree if you bought every channel in the current packages, but if you bought only about 20% percent of them, if the channels were priced fairly it should be cheaper; unless of course someone can show that the majority of our bill is for infrastructure and programming is only a small portion of our monthly fee.

I'd put up an antenna but with the Digital Act or what ever it's called, I can't even get the one channel I'm supposed to get without a 100 foot tower.

I agree. I found out to get USN I have to buy the multi sports package which already has several channels that I get (and don't watch) plus a few more that I have no interest in just to get the one I want. Some else has said that a la carte would cost more in the long run. I agree if you bought every channel in the current packages, but if you bought only about 20% percent of them, if the channels were priced fairly it should be cheaper; unless of course someone can show that the majority of our bill is for infrastructure and programming is only a small portion of our monthly fee.

I'd put up an antenna but with the Digital Act or what ever it's called, I can't even get the one channel I'm supposed to get without a 100 foot tower.
Luckily i get very good reception with a high gain wine gard 9095p.
It is boosted and split 4 ways.
I have three c band dishes that also receive ku.
We have Roku boxes as well. Turning off dish would not be traumatic. However there again i would lose the handful of pay tv channels i do use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)