Universal Sports... HD?

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
I get Universal Sports as one of my digital subchannels from my local NBC here in LA. Love watching it, but I got to wondering, does Universal Sports have a proper HD feed? If they do, is there any chance of Dish ever adding the channel?

Sure they repeat stuff a lot, but they cover a pretty wide array of events and it'd be nice to get better quality pictures and coverage of things like the Diamond League track meets, the Giro and Vuelta, the Pan Pacifics which are going on right now, the winter bobsled and luge meets plus FIS ski events, etc.

It's the one sports channel I'd really like to see Dish add sometime soon. Well, that and I'd like GolTV back, but I'm not holding my breath on that one happening anytime soon.

Well, guess that answers my question about if there's an HD feed or not. Of course, since it's always relegated to digital subchannels I can't see why they'd show those in HD.

I just could've swore that in the past I'd heard their ads mention something about them being in HD... but guess I was wrong.

Still, Universal Sports could go HD in the near future. I also think that Universal Sports is a good channel for what it is: covering the less popular sports like cycling, swimming/diving, volleyball, triathlons, etc. An HD feed would be great.

Also to the OP: have you seen KABC 7.2 Living Well in HD and FOX 11 KTTV's two multiplex channels 11.2 and 11.3? 11.2 is SD of 11.1. but 11.3 is HD using KEVA's frequency mapped down to 11.3. Fox does not own KEVA (as FOX owns only KTTV, 11 and KCOP, 13). Of course both those HD's are quite inferior as they look like they have a low bit rate in order to fit it in and not terribly worsen the main HD channels. Sometimes 7.1 suffers some pixelization, but not too often lately.

Still it brings in an interesting use of bandwidth. A TV station that is already multiplexed (KTTV) can use some of a different TV station's bandwidth (KEVA) and map it down to the first TV stations virtual channel number.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)