Status
Please reply by conversation.

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
From The Hollywood Reporter:
Universal Sports has landed a multi-year distribution deal with satellite provider DirecTV, the companies announced Wednesday.

The pact will put Universal Sports – which is a joint venture between NBC Sports and private equity firm InterMedia Partners -- on DirecTV’s Sports Pack by October 2011, with a free preview for DirecTV’s 19.4 million U.S. customers by early August.

Universal Sports' programming consists of various Olympic sports including World Cup skiing and swimming as well as track and field, figure skating and gymnastics. The DirecTV deal comes on the heels of NBC Sports' $4.38 billion Olympic rights deal that will keep the Games on NBC through 2020. NBC Sports executives stressed a multi-platform approach to the Olympics with live coverage of all events on the company’s various broadcast, cable and broadband platforms. But it’s unclear if or how Universal Sports will figure into that game plan. Right now, company executives are actively strategizing a rebranding of Comcast-owned Versus to capitalize on Olympic programming.

The DirecTV deal encompasses Universal Sports’ programming on the Internet and mobile and comes in time for the network's coverage of the U.S. Swimming National Championships in early August, the IAAF Track and Field World Championships in late August and the Vuelta a España -- the third and final Grand Tour of the summer cycling season: Aug. 20. Universal Sports will have Rugby World Cup matches beginning in September. Select rugby matches as well as certain events from the IAAF World Championships will also be made available to DirecTV in 3D, a first for Universal Sports.
Universal Sports Lands Distribution Deal With DirecTV - The Hollywood Reporter

I have seen this channel as a ota channel. For me not much there but for those looking forward to it, congrats

isaacmorseMI said:
Why would Comcast let them carry Universal Sports and not carry G4?

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the SatelliteGuys App

Let who carry this channel, they own the channel and want it pushed to as many people as possible. (Comcast owns the channel is what I was getting at).

To me, the Universal Sports channel sounds like VS, if you ask me.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

isaacmorseMI said:
Why would Comcast let them carry Universal Sports and not carry G4?

I meant why would they let D* carry Universal Sports without singing a new deal for G4.

I meant why would they let D* carry Universal Sports without singing a new deal for G4.

Because they want to get it out to the public being a new entity and all and then you can see the "Other" side of Comcast, they will push it out if they want it out there, but won't if it's something of value, such as the Philly Sports channels that they won't let on D* without Raping them.

I have seen this channel as a ota channel. For me not much there but for those looking forward to it, congrats

Let who carry this channel, they own the channel and want it pushed to as many people as possible. (Comcast owns the channel is what I was getting at).

To me, the Universal Sports channel sounds like VS, if you ask me.
Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

If you like replays of track and field and cycling then this is for you. At least Vs has live compelling sports.

yeah I've seen this channel on KU Band satellite (free to air) and nothing on there to make me giddy

plus the bandwidth they use (at least on that feed) is bitstarved

They had this channel on D* for 30 days the last time they had a dispute with vs. It seemed every time I tried to watch it had track and cycling repeats,like another poster said. I'm not too excited unless it has improved since then.

IMHO,

G4 has always been the most worthless idea for a channel in the history of channels. The "watch other people play videogames" channel. The Market apparently agrees and is seems NBCU is going to unload it to the UFC which will repurpose it for its sport.

The "will be added in August" thing gets me. They always do things that way. Why? The channel capacity of DirecTV will be exactly the same in August as it is today. If you have reached an agreement, push the button.

Adding some national value to the Sports Pack is a good idea.

For anyone looking for Universal Sports, it launched this week on channel 625.

Part of the Sports Pack, but it is in Free Preview for the month of August.

The channel is primarily carried as a subchannel by local OTA stations. Why would you expect it to be in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts