Universal Sports Network Announces Multi-Platform Distribution Deal with DISH Network

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Universal Sports Network Announces Multi-Platform Distribution Deal with DISH Network

Channel Brings DISH Subscribers Exclusive Coverage of World-Class Sports Events

Los Angeles – Feb. 27, 2012 – Universal Sports Network announced today a multi-year, multi-platform distribution agreement with DISH Network L.L.C., the third largest pay-TV provider in the nation. DISH subscribers now have access to Universal Sports Network’s exclusive Olympic sports coverage of qualifying, trials and highlights as well as other endurance and adventure sports programming.

“We are pleased that DISH recognizes the high value that Universal Sports Network offers through our exclusive rights to some of the world’s biggest sporting events,” said David Sternberg, CEO of Universal Sports. “We look forward to delivering our unique and compelling content to DISH customers on multiple platforms.”

Universal Sports launches in DISH’s Multi-Sport, International Basic and Chinese Basic programming packages on April 25, 2012. Until then, Universal Sports is available to nearly all subscribers at no additional charge. In addition to its linear TV network, Universal Sports’ ownership of full digital rights to its content will allow authenticated DISH customers to enjoy select content from Universal Sports on the Internet through DISHOnline.com, mobile devices and tablets.

Universal Sports provides viewers unparalleled access to world-class sporting events, including the most year-round Olympic-related programming of any network. In the Olympic year 2012, the channel will feature exclusive English-language coverage of the men’s CONCACAF Olympic qualifying soccer tournament in March and the AIBA Americas Olympic boxing qualifying tournament in May. In addition, Universal Sports Network will be the home of 23 World Championships in 2012, and it will once again deliver exclusive U.S. television coverage of such prestigious annual competitions as the Boston Marathon, Giro d’Italia, Vuelta a España and Kona Ironman.

“We are pleased to grow our sports offerings with the addition of Universal Sports and bring coverage of key sporting events from around the globe to avid sports enthusiasts across the U.S.,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH. “With this agreement, we continue to grow the amount of sports and entertainment content available online to our customers so they can watch TV on their smartphone, tablet or computer.”

Isn't this the channel that used to be Versus? Does this mean that we'll need to subscribe to a sports package to see its Olympic coverage, not to mention bike races such as Tour de France or the Tour of California?

Isn't this the channel that used to be Versus? Does this mean that we'll need to subscribe to a sports package to see its Olympic coverage, not to mention bike races such as Tour de France or the Tour of California?

no thats NBC Sports Network

Universal Sports use to be a OTA subchannel but is now a cable/satellite channel

Iceberg said:
no thats NBC Sports Network

Universal Sports use to be a OTA subchannel but is now a cable/satellite channel

Thanks, Iceberg. I'm really not much of a sports fan, but olympics and those bike races are exceptions. I am much relieved.

Interesting... though it doesn't sound like it will include all content Universal may have online.

So it comes with the International Basic package, but not the American basic packages? WTH? Even lamer than when I thought it was only in the Multi-Sport pack!

Thanks, Iceberg. I'm really not much of a sports fan, but olympics and those bike races are exceptions. I am much relieved.

There were quite a few bike races on US that were not carried on Versus(NBC Sports), the Velta, the Giro among others. Also, a lot of track and field.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Universal Sports launches in DISH’s Multi-Sport, International Basic and Chinese Basic programming packages on April 25, 2012. Until then, Universal Sports is available to nearly all subscribers at no additional charge.

So after April 25 how much will it cost...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Or you can buy the content online, presuming they will still sell the cycling or other events PPV online.

Trying to record the Vuelta a Espana. Happened to turn it on and discovered that the guide is inaccurate. It began before the guide indicated that it would. Who would one point this inaccuracy out to? DIRT? (It said paid programming before it indicated that the Vuelta would be on... I have it set for the whole three weeks and am afraid that it does not do what it says.) -Jan

Is it just me, or does it seem like NBC Universal Sports (yes, I call it that) has been in Freeview about two weeks out of every five since May? We're on another one now until Aug. 29.

At this rate, maybe it would be better to just stick it on the same level as NBCSN rather than teasing the hell out of it.

(BTW: since Yespage posted, NBCUS has gone to authenticated streaming. Pay Per Event as previously constituted is gone.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)