Convert VIP 222 receiver to a DVR with an external hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rmauldin

Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Southern USA
I was told by Dish retailer that I could convert my existing VIP 222 to a DVR using an external hard drive. Is this true? And if so will this eliminate the $6.00 per month charge from Dish, and how much do they charge to setup the hard drive?

I was told by Dish retailer that I could convert my existing VIP 222 to a DVR using an external hard drive. Is this true? And if so will this eliminate the $6.00 per month charge from Dish, and how much do they charge to setup the hard drive?
I don't own VIP222 so I did a quick search for you and this is what I found.

The VIP 222 does not support External hard drives, or DVR, so there is no fee for them. If it is the only receiver on your account, there would be no additional fees. You can sign up for HD free for life once you have the HD receiver activated on your account.

Just to make sure you know, the 222 only does 1 HDTV, the second TV off of it would be SD
So I think you got some bad information. :eek:

Thanks for info. What receiver should I upgrade to in order to have DVR capabilities? If so what is the monthly cost, and any other associated cost?

A 211 can be make use of an EHD and become a dvr, there is a one-time $40 charge and no monthly fee. Otherwise, you need to get a dvr receiver and the fee. Most are $6, the Hopper has the dvr with the whole home fee of $10, I don't remember what the fee is for the 922.

The big question is, how many tuners do you want. With the 211 and an ehd you have 2. One Dish and one ota. The 722 gives you 3 or 4 depending on if it is a k model or not. The 722 gives you 2 Dish tuners and 1 ota. The k version gives you2/2. Plus on the 722 series, you can watch something from the dvr while the tuners are recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)