Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Figured I'd post it in both Directv and Dish areas since its on both

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

The Universal Sports TV channel is shutting down next month after nearly a decade in operation. NBC execs told the channel’s approximately 75 employees during an early morning meeting in L.A. today. The channel, which is majority owned by InterMedia Partners, notified distributors that its signal would be taken down Nov. 16. NBC, which holds a minority stake in the channel, will pick up the channel’s portfolio of Olympic sports rights.

Figured I'd post it in both Directv and Dish areas since its on both

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

The Universal Sports TV channel is shutting down next month after nearly a decade in operation. NBC execs told the channel’s approximately 75 employees during an early morning meeting in L.A. today. The channel, which is majority owned by InterMedia Partners, notified distributors that its signal would be taken down Nov. 16. NBC, which holds a minority stake in the channel, will pick up the channel’s portfolio of Olympic sports rights.
Wonder how much our subscription will decrease :)

What a shame. I remember when this channel showed up on FTA Satellite (on 4DTV) in, I guess it was, 2006. It was World Championship Sports Network (WCSN) back then. Was a good channel to land on at any time for a sports fix. NBC got involved and it was renamed but was still FTA on satellite for quite a while. It died on FTA satellite when it dropped all its OTA affiliates in 2012. R.I.P then and R.I.P. now WCSN.

DRCars

What a shame. I remember when this channel showed up on FTA Satellite (on 4DTV) in, I guess it was, 2006. It was World Championship Sports Network (WCSN) back then. Was a good channel to land on at any time for a sports fix. NBC got involved and it was renamed but was still FTA on satellite for quite a while. It died on FTA satellite when it dropped all its OTA affiliates in 2012. R.I.P then and R.I.P. now WCSN.

DRCars

I thought I was the only one that could remember 4Dtv. :) Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I wonder where the Olympic content will go. Surely it can't fit on NBCSN. I hope it doesn't go online-only on Live Extra. SD on TV is better than Internet...

NBC Olympic coverage could be, and has been, on many channels that NBC has a stake in, including MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, USA, Telemundo as well as NBCSN and NBC Network. So many places for it that It gets to be a pain finding a particular thing you want to watch come Olympics time.

Edit: BTW, I don't think Universal Sports (or the old WCSN) carried actual Olympic events. Just Olympic related stuff. Mostly world championships.

DRCars

Last edited:
NBC Olympic coverage could be, and has been, on many channels that NBC has a stake in, including MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, USA, Telemundo as well as NBCSN and NBC Network. So many places for it that It gets to be a pain finding a particular thing you want to watch come Olympics time.

Edit: BTW, I don't think Universal Sports (or the old WCSN) carried actual Olympic events. Just Olympic related stuff. Mostly world championships.

DRCars

That is correct. They show a wide variety of sports, mostly those associated with the Olympics but I don't think USN has carried actual Olympic events. I agree about the Olympics being on channels that aren't easy to find. The sports mix channel solves that issue.

Reactions: Marcingak
It'll probably go to CBC. Hey is anyone gonna Vid Capture and post the GOP debate tonight?

-A- Hah, funny.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)