Univision Communications Inc. Walks Away from Negotiation Table,

I’ll be honest, I’m going to miss El Rey, but not enough to actually care. The me of those “sucks, but that’s why there is so many more to choose from.

The concept is that the cable and satellite providers are using the program providers copyrighted materials to make money, so the program provider should share in the profits. It's really not all that different a concept from a book store paying publishers for multiple books instead of buying just one copy and then selling copies of it.
I understand the concept. However, I also see it as cable and satellite are also helping to enhance the signal and get a greater number of viewers, especially in the current DTV days, where signal reach isn't as strong as the analog days. Back then, I could get a snowy reception. Now, it's all or none.

Reactions: Pere845
On a separate note, this is just Univision stations. The Boston market has separate O&O affieltes for Univision, Uni Mas, and Telemundo. It used to be 27 was Univision and 66 was Uni Mas. Back at Christmas time, Univsion switched the affielates, but Dish kept the old channel locations. So, I'm getting the Dish Latino replacement channel on Dish 27, Uni Mas on OTA 27-01 and Dish 66, and Univision on OTA 66-01.

Reactions: Pere845 and NYDutch
I understand the concept. However, I also see it as cable and satellite are also helping to enhance the signal and get a greater number of viewers, especially in the current DTV days, where signal reach isn't as strong as the analog days. Back then, I could get a snowy reception. Now, it's all or none.
True, but for those who already had OTA reception, cable and satellite also provide more competition (hundreds of additional channels) thus reducing the ratings of OTA stations in those areas. Just playing devil's advocate. :devilish

True, but for those who already had OTA reception, cable and satellite also provide more competition (hundreds of additional channels) thus reducing the ratings of OTA stations in those areas. Just playing devil's advocate. :devilish
Does that affect ratings if its viewed on cable or satellite vs OTA. I'd assume ratings are solely to bring in ad revenue, thus cable and satellite helping to get more eyes on the program.

Does that affect ratings if its viewed on cable or satellite vs OTA. I'd assume ratings are solely to bring in ad revenue, thus cable and satellite helping to get more eyes on the program.
I meant compared to before cable and satellite existed, when there were fewer choices, and 100 percent of total viewership went to OTA broadcasters. Yes, the broadcast stations now reach a larger area, with more potential viewers, thanks to cable and satellite. But they also have more competition in areas where they used to have a total lock on viewership, thus offsetting the gains made in other areas.

I meant compared to before cable and satellite existed, when there were fewer choices, and 100 percent of total viewership went to OTA broadcasters. Yes, the broadcast stations now reach a larger area, with more potential viewers, thanks to cable and satellite. But they also have more competition in areas where they used to have a total lock on viewership, thus offsetting the gains made in other areas.
Ah. I now see what you mean.

Ever hear the expression “cut off your nose to spite your face?”

Actually, I just think they majorly overvalue themselves. Of course, I’ve only heard part of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I was just teaching my 12 year old daughter that expression and the meaning of it the other day. It's amazing that some adults still don't get the concept. :)

Still getting El Rey here in Phoenix but the local Univision and UniMás channels have Dish Latino promos running now
I was confused at first, as Dish still has Uni Mas in Boston, but I figured it out. In Boston, Entravision Communications operates both WUNI (Univision affielate) and WTUF (Uni Mas affiliate). But, Univision owns WUNI where Entravision owns and operates WTUF. I assume that Entravision isn't in the dispute with Dish. Hence why Uni Mas is still available in Boston.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)