Unplugged Dish today

mperdue

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
McCordsville, Indiana
Since so many other people have posted their "I'm leaving" messages I figured I'd do the same. Today I called and had Dish disconnected. I didn't do it because of poor service - the service I've gotten has always been very good - I did it because I found myself watching it less and less since the VOOM channels were removed. I figure if I'm going to pay for TV there should be some reasonable commercial free channels in the mix but Dish chose to cancel most of them.

For now I'll get my TV fix OTA and on the internet. I'll use the money that I save to build a Blu-Ray/DVD library that contains the kind of programming I enjoy watching.

All the best to you other guys. Who knows, maybe in the future Dish will add some commercial free HD programming to replace the VOOM channels and I'll consider returning to the service.

Mario

To each his own....I have to admit it would be nice to have an extra $100 every month. :)

As far as commercials go, I just DVR everything I want to watch and my commcercial problem is solved.

I'd rather watch commercial loaded new programming than the repeat heavy stuff on Voom. At least that's my opinion. I don't think you can blame Dish for commercial TV. The viewers voted with their remotes.

I agree with the DVR sentiment. I hardly watch commercials anymore. Just a few hits of a button and bam, your done.

To each his own....I have to admit it would be nice to have an extra $100 every month. :)

I agree I would like to save that much too, but if you are like me, if you figure the amount that would be spent on buying DVD's, Blu-Ray's, Netflix, and other entertainment then I guess paying a DBS or Cable provider $100 per month is not that bad. I very rarely ever buy any movies on DVD or Blu-Ray unless they are ones that I really enjoy, I like to channel surf too much.

Aside from Smithsonian and some misc. premiums not carried, what commercial free national programming is Dish missing? Dish isn't carrying it because it doesn't exist.

Yeah, they had Voom for a time. But like I said, the viewers voted with their remotes and watching other programming, and in some cases, their wallets by picking Voom-less DirecTV over Dish. Because of this, I can't blame Dish for making the tough programming calls.

And what difference would notice have made? Voom was available no where else. It's not like you could have switched. I suppose it would have helped a month in advance if Dish had EHDs available then. You could have recorded the entire Voom programming library in that time and put it on one drive!:)

In this day and age, if you're not watching much TV and can get rid of a subscription service, by all means do it :)

I am mainly OTA & FTA until fall when hockey starts again :)

Aside from Smithsonian and some misc. premiums not carried, what commercial free national programming is Dish missing? Dish isn't carrying it because it doesn't exist.

Yeah, they had Voom for a time. But like I said, the viewers voted with their remotes and watching other programming, and in some cases, their wallets by picking Voom-less DirecTV over Dish. Because of this, I can't blame Dish for making the tough programming calls.

And what difference would notice have made? Voom was available no where else. It's not like you could have switched. I suppose it would have helped a month in advance if Dish had EHDs available then. You could have recorded the entire Voom programming library in that time and put it on one drive!:)

Yeah, whatever. I should have known you'd go into VOOM attack mode at the mere mention of it. Have fun paying for programming and then skipping over the commercials.

If you aren't using the service, it makes sense to disconnect it. Don't see any reason to have a fight over Voom. The OP liked voom, it is gone, he doesn't watch much anymore, he now saves $100/month.

And if I had $1200 per year, I suspect I could build a heck of a BD library. Enjoy!

In this day and age, if you're not watching much TV and can get rid of a subscription service, by all means do it :)

I am mainly OTA & FTA until fall when hockey starts again :)
And I certainly don't rule out returning to satellite or cable service if one of them offer a package that I would watch.

Since so many other people have posted their "I'm leaving" messages I figured I'd do the same. Today I called and had Dish disconnected. I didn't do it because of poor service - the service I've gotten has always been very good - I did it because I found myself watching it less and less since the VOOM channels were removed. I figure if I'm going to pay for TV there should be some reasonable commercial free channels in the mix but Dish chose to cancel most of them.

For now I'll get my TV fix OTA and on the internet. I'll use the money that I save to build a Blu-Ray/DVD library that contains the kind of programming I enjoy watching.

All the best to you other guys. Who knows, maybe in the future Dish will add some commercial free HD programming to replace the VOOM channels and I'll consider returning to the service.

Mario
I still miss 'em too Mario. As much as I love FiOS HD, I could certainly find other things to do to keep me busy over the summer months.

I don't hate Dish or anything. I've been a customer for 10+ years. The only thing that really bothers me is the bill. It gives me a sense that they are trying to pull a fast one. This fee, this discount, you saved, ....etc. Somehow it ends up with me paying more. The other thing that bothers me is that I rent the equipment. I would rather buy something and be done with the monthly fees. Not that I would buy the receivers that I have since they reboot almost nightly and I end up with 30 recordings of Mythbusters @ 1 minute each. I have called and replaced them, but it comes back eventually.

Even with all of this, I still don't hate Dish. I think Sat TV is pretty cool. I love to read / tinker with it. I would say that my tolerance is dwindling though. I think if they donlt resolve the whole SD/ HD mess soon, I may just go to FIOS/TIVO or even OTA + Internet options (tivo/apple tv/netflix).

Dunno what VOOM is/was, but the one thing that gave me pause when I considered switching to DirecTV was the proliferation of antennas on my roof. Had a Dish dish up there, and far as I know, the DirecTV installer would just leave it there, and even worse, drill a new set of holes in my roof for the DirecTV dish. So when Dish sweetened the pot for us, I stayed with them. But I have come to find the VIP 722 is inferior in some respects to my old TiVo series 2, so who knows what I'll do when the Dish contract is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)