Unwrapped Turkey Day???

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
For some reason I decided to hit (3) to see what E* has plonked onto my 622's hard disc under the TV Entertainment section of my DVR.

To my great wonderment and surprise, I find that the only program saved there is:

UNWRAPPED TURKEY DAY

The program description is as follows:

"See how Tom Turkey is chosen for a Presidential pardon, watch how faux turkey turns into Tofurky & head to Heinz as gravy grinds up for bottling."

Now this is MUST SEE TV!

I finally realize what potential this feature has for all of us.

Bring it on E*! I can't wait for the "Being Creative with Jell-O" program that I have a feeling is heading our way.

I also took a look the other day and actually saw something that I liked. It was a show about the Ferrari factory in Italy and how they make their cars. I really liked it. I didn't watch the turkey show though.

I dont get these shows, while I have enjoyed watching them (I like the Unwrapped shows) these promos serve as nothing more then an advertisement of why I should switch to cable and get their video on demand service.

Giving me a show from here and there from various "On Demand" channels has me wanting more and Dish Network is not going to give it to me, so the only way to see more of these shows is by getting Video On Deman from my cable company.

A few weeks ago they had a "Free Preview" of WWE 24/7.... WHY? They don't carry WWE 24/7 only Digital Cable carries it. So whats the point?

I also agree with Scott - I just don't see a point to this. You just can't do Video-on-Demand with current Sat. technology, and Dish should just accept this & spend the time/effort/dollars that they are spending on this ill-thought-out approach on something useful (fix the audio sync, external disk storage, etc.).

I cannot get cable (...go figure - an hour outside of Washington DC, semi-rural/commuter/subdivision county & we're more backwards than my Mother in the wild mountains of WVa), but I've seen the VOD on various cable systems. I like it & would use it if I had it, but certainly wouldn't move to ANY cable company to get it.

Here's a funny/scary thought (and a merging of thoughts at the very least)...

What if when the USB Hard drive solution becomes available (if/when/etc) that they only allow you to use a fraction of the drive for things you want, and then download ondemand videos onto it as well. There is a marketting person's dream... "yeah you can get your shows, but were gonna give you some extras we think you will want to watch, and we'll get paid for spamming the drive with the fluff"

Or option B:

"We have detected that you have an external storage device connected to your Vip622. Now, all customer preferred videos will be saved to this drive and this drive only. The entire space available on the internal storage is now for VOD programming that we (Dish) choose"

A little too cynical you think?

Dish has the technology BUILT INTO THE BOX to do IP Video, which could give them full video on demand, match this up with external storage and they have a powerful Cable Killer!

But instead they are sitting there with their thumbs up their butts and are letting all this possible extra revenue slide by.

They are doing a disservice to not only their customers but their shareholders as well. There are millions being lost by not having these services working TODAY.

I agree with you there Scott. There is the potential here for a major jump on cable. In my opinion the Dish DVR is a ton better than cable and Dish has a ton more HD! Add True VOD (via IP) and the cable cos have nothing.

this is the show that was added and i lost hdmi audio, fluke or not last night while i was playing a game it was removed from my DVR AND i just so happen to have audio again. 622 was on and untouched

so i got the show...lost audio......lost the content via their delete and audio repairs itself all on its own.
The content returned in the last 4 hrs......hum.....

I see a huge possibilities for E*, with Wild Blue to expand and be at lease equal to cable/telco competition. In some cases they would even have advantages...

given their size and virtually unlimited US reach capability I could see them offering Video, VOIP (phone), Data (internet) services... gee the big three the cable co's were hoping would kill satellite.

They could offer free phone to phone calling to their customers... and unlike cable systems which has set territories... well you just think...

Video... E* has a good handle on that... like how they are looking forward too.

Data... Wild Blue is relatively a young company... but I would expect them to grow rapidly.

If Sirius played its cards right E* could offer music both at home and on the go... a simple car receiver and your existing home sat. receiver is all you would need...

gee I just expanded cables 3 play to a totally digital 4 play! How many cable companies are totally digital?

All you need is 24kbps if your using G.729(A) CS-ACELP compression... (Wild Blue Value pack gives you 512kbps of bandwidth down and 128Kbps up...) more then enough to run any known reasonable compression for VOIP which typicaly ranges up to 80kbps...

I watched the begining, I think the host used to host Double Dare from years ago. The compression was so bad I couldn't tell by his face but the name sounded familliar.

All you need is 24kbps if your using G.729(A) CS-ACELP compression... (Wild Blue Value pack gives you 512kbps of bandwidth down and 128Kbps up...) more then enough to run any known reasonable compression for VOIP which typicaly ranges up to 80kbps...

Satellite is more than capable of meeting the bandwidth requirement for VOIP. However, what about the inherent latency of satellite communications?

Satellite broadband is not a preferable solution for applications such as gaming, where low-latency is crucial. I can only imagine that the same applies to time-sensitive packets such as voice.

I dont get these shows, while I have enjoyed watching them (I like the Unwrapped shows) these promos serve as nothing more then an advertisement of why I should switch to cable and get their video on demand service.

Giving me a show from here and there from various "On Demand" channels has me wanting more and Dish Network is not going to give it to me, so the only way to see more of these shows is by getting Video On Deman from my cable company.

A few weeks ago they had a "Free Preview" of WWE 24/7.... WHY? They don't carry WWE 24/7 only Digital Cable carries it. So whats the point?

Scott,

What Dish needs to do is to enable the Ethernet port of the 622 so they can stream TRUE OnDemand content via the Internet.

Now before somebody tries to tear my head off, I realize that many Rural Dish Subs do not have the Bandwidth or use Satellite Internet, which would be cost prohibitive. With Internet OnDemand we could get lots of HD OnDemand content.

For those with lots of Bandwidth it would be awesome.

Now after saying all that the Federal Government has to guarantee Net Neutrality, as it is currently under attack by the largest Providers. If Net Neutrality goes away then you can bet we as well as lots of other Third party players will be starved for bandwidth. The providers that support this really want to put up Road Blocks and or reserve bandwidth for "Preferred" (read Royality paying) third parties or companies.

The Repeal of Net Neutrality will be a HUGE Money grab for and by the largest Telcos and Cable companies.

John

"Unwrapped Turkey Day" is no longer alone on our DishOnDemand options. It has been joined by:

"Sandra's Thanksgiving"

Semi-homemade recipes are stress free and sure to impress. Yellow Pepper Soup, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Sandra's Crown Roast, Pumpkin Bundt Cake"

Yum, yum.

This stuff is far lamer than I ever expected. My kudos to E* for underwhelming me beyond my wildest expectations.

So when does she show up on my DVR? ;)

2069957.jpg
:hungry:

Connecting the phone line

"Brace Yourself Effie..." new 622 software problably coming in December

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts