"Brace Yourself Effie..." new 622 software problably coming in December

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
On the Tech Chat they announced new PIP features for the 622, as well as HD-labeled channels in the Program Guide that will become available around December 1. I am guessing this will mean a new software revision.

So as Robin Williams said in "Mrs. Doubtfire" (a film the family watched last weekend)... "Brace Yourself Effie..."

Personally I will begin nightly prayers to the satellite gods that this is a better experience than L3.63. :D

Better than 365

The present 1 is is365. It has created many fixes and almost as many weak points. I really want the stutter to stop as well as the OTA signal strength to get back to normal.

Say it ain't so

On the Tech Chat they announced new PIP features for the 622, as well as HD-labeled channels in the Program Guide that will become available around December 1. I am guessing this will mean a new software revision....
I just read the Tech Chat summary and got that queasy feeling that comes with a FORCED 622 software update from the folks that brought us L3.63 :(

I really, really don't like the idea of FORCED software upgrades. Especially when they are for "features" I really don't want...
* I don't use PIP, so why would I want Full Screen HD PIP (oxymoron?)
* I already know which channels are HD, besides most of then have HD in their names - DUH
* I don't care what the original air date was. I want to know when I recorded it.

So three useless features with the risk of a L3.63 style spontaneous reboot during recording disaster :(

Where's the "opt out" button bro?

Talon Dancer

The present 1 is is365. It has created many fixes and almost as many weak points. I really want the stutter to stop as well as the OTA signal strength to get back to normal.

I know the current one is 3.65; but it was 3.63 that sent my world spinning!

I share that view of "that queasy feeling." :D

I didn't catch the tech chat, but read the recap thread. ...

That Side by side Pip, does it squish the content? It looks like it would be really annoying. I'd rather have a chopped off version than a squished version.

Man, hard to please you guys. I'm excited about the side by side PIP for watching sports. That is the one thing that I really missed about cable on my big screen. As far as the HD on the channel does it really hurt you? Anything that helps a newbie out isn't a big deal. And the original air date is much more important than the date recorded to me. You can already sort by date recorded so that information is already there...

Yawn....

Well, the original air data is nice. But, that's not a new feature. Other stuff does nothing for me.

As usual Dish is providing features we didn't ask for.

So, why the heck is external hdd support pushed out to 1st quarter next year? I wonder if Dish is trying to figure out a way to make extra $$$ off this.

Man, hard to please you guys. I'm excited about the side by side PIP for watching sports. That is the one thing that I really missed about cable on my big screen. As far as the HD on the channel does it really hurt you? Anything that helps a newbie out isn't a big deal. And the original air date is much more important than the date recorded to me. You can already sort by date recorded so that information is already there...

Ditto.... I'd rather see a squished aspect ratio, rather than the annoying box that obscures a portion of the other feed.

C'mon folks, be reasonable.... Would'nt you rather see all the screen instead of chopping things off (otherwise they get calls complaining that the score crawl was chopped off)?

What exactly will that new little HD icon mean?

Will the new HD icon mean only that "this station provides HD sometimes/all the time," or will it mean "the current as-of-this-very-minute offering on this station is being delivered in HD?"

I took it to mean being able to see if a show in the guide is going to be broadcast in HD or not. This would be very useful to me and I would set up some shows ahead based on that if I had that information available. If it's anything else I really don't see the point.

I do like the addition of the original broadcast date and I find that helpful.

I don't use PIP so it's not important to me but I'm sure it is to many others.

No, they showed a picture of the HD symbol in the guide. It is on the side (not in the guide date) over beside the channel number/name.

No, they showed a picture of the HD symbol in the guide. It is on the side (not in the guide date) over beside the channel number/name.

I agree. I don't think they will be providing data like HDTVmagazine does, showing if specific shows are in HD. Rather, its just a way or making specific channels as a HD channel.

I guess it s useful if you create favorites lists, but I tend to just use the HD-only list.

That will be useless for me then but maybe somebody will like it. The other would have been a nice feature.

.. So, why the heck is external hdd support pushed out to 1st quarter next year? I wonder if Dish is trying to figure out a way to make extra $$$ off this.
Excellent point. Maybe they figure they will sell more Pocket Dishes over the holidays if there is no other way to backup recordings (digitally).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)